Jambands.ca

Allmans/moe. @ Molson Amphitheatre

Swan

Maybe fiasco was the wrong word. You're right, it wasn't a TERRIBLE set, I was disappointed though. Their set was also in broad daylight, and I wasn't digging that so much...I prefer to see them in the club with the lights and the hey-hey m'glaben. I also have to say, I don't think I caught the whole set. We're talking almost three years ago now, but I think I only caught the last two tunes.

Can't reiterate enough though, I love the band and am looking forward to seeing them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Nero earlier in their career, both in their musicianship and focus onstage. What I found lacking in the later years was variety and creativity in their performance. I never did listen to any of the albums because I don't think it was the kind of music that translated well to recorded media. And having not been part of the comraderie and band scene would be what made it easier to be critical when their sound was boring and indistinguishable from most jambands. I think that if Dave or any of the three were playing or listening to music radically different than what was projected to listeners onstage at a Nero show then that'd be a sign that something was missing in the live setting...something was preventing them from playing what they wanted to play.

YouAre-SmokingCrack.jpg

i really liked the moe/nero/phoenix show too. that was my first time seeing both bands so it may have added a bit to how much i enjoyed them... but even with the nouveaux ooh la la aside, i genuinely enjoyed the music. in fact, that was a fun night overall. :D

i think moe creates an incredible energy onstage that is hard to capture in a recorded medium... any recorded moe i've heard has mostly bored me, but i did enjoy their live performance that night. i remember the 2nd set got a bit wanky at times, but overall i thought it was pretty good.

Poo Poo Head? I expected something much worse than that... Here's what really bothered me about your post:

"And having not been part of the comraderie and band scene would be what made it easier to be critical when their sound was boring and indistinguishable from most jambands."

Boring and indistinguishable? Could you name a band that sounded like nero, because I would love to hear them... The thing that made nero so great, both with Shane and especially with the Punk, was that they had a completely fresh sound. No one sounded like them... And boring? No one owned a crowd like nero did... We were their puppets, particularly when they were dropping something like a Zedonk-> Centragnome-> Lemondust set on us... Since they stopped playing I have yet to see a crowd dance as hard or be as captivated as a nero crowd used to be... Maybe you should seek out some recordings to hear just how exciting and unique their sound was... Especially the shows from '03/'04... When it was no longer the Dave Lauzon show, and it was the Dave, Punk and Jay show... Yeah, I'm biased, but nero will go down in history as something special.

I told Dave Lauzon that night after their gig, that nero reminded me a lot of later-era Jeff Beck. Dave told me that he loves the Blow By Blow-era, but I thought their sound was beginning to lean towards the last two Beck albums, even though Dave hadn't heard those releases at that time.

70's and 2000-era Jeff Beck is one of the only artists I can compare nero to.

Edited by Guest

I didn't enjoy moe. at the Molson Amphitheatre very much ... I like moe. a lot and have really enjoyed every other show I've seen by them, including the one at the Phoenix, but that Molson Amphitheatre show was a big disappointment for me all-around. I went in with big expectations, and both moe. and Phil & Friends didn't live up to them. The empty seats didn't help matters ... there just weren't enough people in the place to create a big energy buzz ...

Having said that, the nero show at the Comfort Zone still goes down as one of my favourite, if not my favourite nero shows ever ... the energy in the Comfort Zone that night was incredible!

The moe. & ABB show in August is going to rock in a big way, I think ... but I'll try not to get my hopes up too high!

Peace, Mark

Having said that, the nero show at the Comfort Zone still goes down as one of my favourite, if not my favourite nero shows ever ... the energy in the Comfort Zone that night was incredible!

Peace, Mark

What Comfort Zone show? They played there many times.

To this day that Phil aftershow is one of the highlights of my Nero run... and there were sooo many to name... Mark hit it on th enail with the nergy in the room... many a night I got completely lost and the boys led me through the music in such a great direction...

oh and ya.. i also agree with most about the Amphitheatre gig... the Phoenix was a tad better with more energy... Opera House easily the best moe. i had seen since 96 ish... mind you ive only seen them 6 times...

I'll be making this one if I'm back from our august canoe trip in time,got the messege from pollstar the other week.Very good news

When are you going up greg??I'm also heading up with a crew,not sure which week we are heading up yet.I missed out on last years trip so i'm extra excited for this year!! :)