Jambands.ca

Allmans/moe. @ Molson Amphitheatre

Swan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't care for their wanky/techno gig when they last played The Phoenix in Toronto.

was that when nero opened? i remember that show... i think "wanky" is harsh, but i didn't really enjoy their show that night either. saw them a few times before that though and had a blast, and will be happy to see them again :)

reeeeally can't wait to see my bros! s'been too long.

I didn't care for their wanky/techno gig when they last played The Phoenix in Toronto.

was that when nero opened? i remember that show... i think "wanky" is harsh' date=' but i didn't really enjoy their show that night either. saw them a few times before that though and had a blast, and will be happy to see them again :)

reeeeally can't wait to see my bros! s'been too long.

[/quote']

It was that same show. I thought nero put on their best show ever that night. moe. was wanky, especially Al. They were experimenting a lot with synth-driven loops, hence my earlier techno reference.

However, of all the hyped bands that I haven't enjoyed over the last 5 years, moe. was the best of the bunch. Worst = Galactic.

In my opinion that was FAR from nero's best show ever... The only redeeming factor about that moe. show was the Rebubula... (The Meat was alright as well, but not what I was hoping to see at my first moe. show...). I really have to agree with you on Galactic though. What a complete waste of my time...

In my opinion that was FAR from nero's best show ever... The only redeeming factor about that moe. show was the Rebubula... (The Meat was alright as well, but not what I was hoping to see at my first moe. show...). I really have to agree with you on Galactic though. What a complete waste of my time...

There are various reasons why I loved nero so much that night and why I thought it was a pivotal gig. For one, I noticed immediately that nero had finally and bravely embraced hard-rock - their ties with psychedelic/hippy-based music was almost non-existent. Older nero songs were edgier and blended in well with their new harder progressive rock material.

Two: Their confidence on-stage was noticeably high and it was reflected in their playing. This was impressive, especially in light of them opening for moe.. This was not a nero crowd, but for the uninitiated, it turned into one by the end of their set.

Three: All three members played with a inter-connecting cohesion that I hadn't witnessed before. It was exciting to see.

Fair enough, but for those of us who travelled to see them on a fairly regular basis, none of that was new... In fact, out of the four nights that nero opened for moe. on that tour, I would rate Toronto to be their worst gig of the four. Still a good show (did nero ever really have a bad show?), but like I said, far from their best.

Oh I had a great time, it was a good show... I loved that band far too much to step away from seeing them... I know what you mean though... nero stopped playing Ottawa regularly, and on quite a few occasions when I came up here to see them a lot of the Ottawa kids talked about how much they had developed since the last time they had seen them. For a couple of years there was a steady increase in how much that band developed show after show. That's what made it so exciting to go see them time after time. Yo were always bound to be impressed, if not blown away...

Hey all.

I have to agree with Jaimoe on this one.

I've seen moe. three times at Bonnaroo and I was blown away each time...an incredible jamming rock band with good hooks and great tangents.

But...

If not for talking with Jaimoe and his friend that night I would have been dead asleep.

I even have the "instant live" CD to prove how bad the show was.

Jef

I have seen moe 6 times now, and that Phoenix show was by far the worst, followed closely by that awful Phil & Friends fiasco. But I say this every time I play a moe tune on my radio show, and I'll say it again now: those other four shows blew me away to such a degree that moe is one of very few touring bands that will consistantly have my money whenever they come through town. The chance at seeing them do even a 'pretty good' pair of sets makes them worth checking out, because when they start a-cookin they can really put on a show. I was worried after that Phoenix show, but went to see them at the Opera House when they came through again a few months ago, and they totally redeemed themselves. They took a couple tunes to warm up, but once they got going, like I said, they were great.

Oh I'm sure we've all got an Allmans story or two... was anyone else at the downpour show (maybe 4 summers back now)?

2 of my good buddies drove in for the night and ended up looking after a very fucked up Acid-Marge. Post insano show, it must have taken us about 4 hours to get home… I think I was literally rolling around in a giant puddle in the middle of Bathurst St. at one point.

The greatest moment of the night had to have been when my buddies finally peeled out in the morning; services were just getting out at the church across the street from my house and there I am on the front balcony… Super-Sketch Marge, doobie in mouth, waving goodbye to my 2 wook companions who bagged their soaked clothes, waved back and marched to their truck, past the jaw-gape churchgoers, in nothing but boxers and boots.

Classic Marge.

that.......is........hilarious !!

Moe was fucking shite at the Amphitheatre. Absolute trash. Seeing them at Barrymore's was pretty memorable for me, but I was on really good drugs at the time. I can't recall how much of my enjoyment was because of that or not but it doesn't really matter if the experience was positive.

I liked Nero earlier in their career, both in their musicianship and focus onstage. What I found lacking in the later years was variety and creativity in their performance. I never did listen to any of the albums because I don't think it was the kind of music that translated well to recorded media. And having not been part of the comraderie and band scene would be what made it easier to be critical when their sound was boring and indistinguishable from most jambands. I think that if Dave or any of the three were playing or listening to music radically different than what was projected to listeners onstage at a Nero show then that'd be a sign that something was missing in the live setting...something was preventing them from playing what they wanted to play.

Just me' two cents is all.