Jambands.ca

Mix tape help!

Mr. Photogeek

So I'm making a mixed tape (well cd actually :P ) for my soon to be born daughter...I want some cool tunes for her to sleep or rock-out to. I don't necesarily want kiddie tunes, but of course they have to be kid friendly. So far I have "I Will Take You Home" by the Grateful Dead, and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole...any other suggestions?

thanks for the help!

You Are My Sunshine - Whoever you like

Beautiful Boy - John Lennon

I'm So Tired - The Beatles

P.S. Have you ever heard the Mickey Hart album Music To Be Born By? It's all drumming done over the recording of his unborn son's heart beat. It was played in the delivery room and apparently it's a hit with moms everywhere to help the baby transition into our bright, cold world. I think it's hard to find, but I have a copy. PM me if you want me to send you a disc. :) Good luck with the wee one!

Mother & Child Reunion has been a song I remember always having in my life. Pretty much any Paul Simon will do. Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard is especially good for her to rock out to. It's so happy. Jerry Lee Lewis is another one to get those baby legs a shakin'.

The Fraggle Rock theme song is also fun for the kiddies. I still watch that damn show. :P

Garcia & Grisman's "NOt For Kids Only" is full of sweet songs that are lovable by kids and adults alike!

Contact by Phish has a Sesame Street like quality as well as that composed funk section which should go over well.

my little girl who will be 1 may13th has always been into the rastaman vibration...any kind of conscious reggae, I think because of the steady bass rythm, makes her go crazy and has done since she was still in the my wife's belly...the best is when she shakes her 11 hairs that she thinks are dreadlocks...she calls me Bob instead of Dad which is kinda cool( it could be Homer..DOH)...anyways try some reggae...positive vibrations and forward movements

Wow thanks for all the suggestions...especially Booche...you read my mind...it goes right after "world o' filth" by Gwar...Oh and Kaidy Mae thanks for the offer, a friend (and fellow Deadhead/father) has lent me that Mickey Hart CD!

Now I have to go and find all of these songs (I'm embarrased to say I haven't even heard of some of them!)

Thanks again!

just out of curiousity?? do you play music into the womb??? my wife and pumped tunes into her belly constantly from the 3rd month and my little came out with the greatest love for music...we played her DMB and the Boys mostly and she recognized the sounds right from her first moments in the house on day 1...try it if ya like it made a bond between her and I that nobody can come between and thats a hard thing for Dad when mom is usaully the one babies tend to depend on...also I used to hum onto my wife's belly and when she was handed to me I started to hum and she snuggled right in because she was already familiar...sounds are very important to babies i've found out this past year so play them music and play it loud!!!...thats my advice...good luck

He said " I want the kid to know the blues when it's born ".

As long as s/he doesn't feel the blues when s/he's born. Slightly crushed skull plates, but no blues. Can't have kids having to deal with post-partum depression set to a funky vamp.

But then, all life is suffering, so, whatever.

wallpaper_babyhomer_640480.jpg

Luckily, babies are pretty congenitally happy creatures. Cassia really got off on Dead Kennedys when she was a baby. Somehow she went from there to liking the Dead, the Beatles, and the Who. Go figure (okay, it's not so hard).