Jambands.ca

so what do ya'll think of the new trey stuff?

jon.

I really dig this show:

70 Volt Parade

May 4, 2005

Ovens Auditorium

Charlotte, NC

Source: AT 853-h (DIN, OTS, RoC, on stand @ ~ 6') > Samson PM4 >

SD MP-2 > NJB3 (line in) > CD Wave v1.94.2 beta (tracking) >

Wavelab v5.00a (fade in/out) > FLAC Frontend v1.7.1 (encoding @ level 6)

Disc 1: Set 1: [72:45]

1. Simple Twist Up Dave [7:29]

2. Done Done It^ (Billy Barton) [6:55]

3. Alive Again^ [8:24]

4. Dig A Pony (The Beatles) [3:41]

5. Dark And Down* [8:37]

6. Drifting [7:59]

7. Black [8:24]

8. Goodbye Head [21:14]

Disc 2: Set 2: [72:12]

1. Cayman Review [8:19]

2. Burlap Sack and Pumps [9:27]

3. 46 Days [11:42]

4. Night Speaks To A Woman [9:57]

5. What's Done [6:34]

6. Back On The Train^^ [3:30]

7. Love is Freedom^^^ [4:31]

8. Sledgehammer* (Peter Gabriel) [6:01]

9. (encore break + stage banter) [2:21]

10. In The Light (Led Zeppelin) [9:49]

Notes:

* debut

^ Les on organ, Ray on piano

^^ Trey solo acoustic

^^^ Trey on acoustic, Ray on piano, Peter on bass (No Skeeto or Les)

here's the link

I think these shows are getting better as the tour continues - trey is definately on point in terms of playing.

The show has wicked energy, pretty decent recording with a bit of equalizing as well.

discuss.......

I posted this torrent awhile ago in the BitTorrent forum...

Right here...

There are four other 70 Volt Parade shows posted there as well... Bit torrents really should be posted there...

As for the shows, I think Trey is playing fairly well, but the band he's assembled is somewhat sub-par... I wish he had surrounded himself with better players, but I agree, it's getting better with every show.

Skeeto The drummer has gotta go... big time holding up the band, Trey's playing is OK but his vocals are still horrible... that being said, the band is getting better like I said before and should be playing really well by the time they hit Toronto... There are some great new songs but some sleepers as well... im a fan of Goodbye Head, Low, Bar 18 to name a few...

i'm a bum.

in the greatest.

the hippy still has the power over me. i am uninterested enough that i downloaded two shows, gave them a listen to, and dont plan on downloadign anymore.

BUT, i still plan on seeing him this summer over Frisell...

Yes, its probably the stupid move, but i'd rather see Trey right now...its been too long.

I'll probably be kicking myself in the morning but....

I'm really trying to enjoy the stuff I've heard, but it's empty sounding to me. I feel bad that my expectations are so high for Trey that I can't enjoy it if he's not ripping it up.

I'll keep listening though, I find it fun and interesting to hear the progession of new bands and this one has a way to go (IMHO).

interesting,

i personally think there is some killer shit happening here.

phish is phish, and i've watched them over a decade, but this stuff is pretty great - dark and down is the tune that has my ear right now, but there are tons of other wicked spaces in music, its also nice to hear Trey back on his game, playing wise.

each to his/her own though....

can't wait to see this band in the summer!

oh - the cinci show totally rocks!

Edited by Guest

I dont think they has been playing better than he has in years...

I mean, listen to his Red Rocks Run from 01 or 02.

Listen to the Darien Lake show w/ Fishman.

Compared to those runs with TAB, this is TREY LITE.

Seriously. How can he be even closely or remotely compared to 01 and 02 TAB with this stuff he's playing now?

It doesn't have the intensity or the shredding. It doesn't have the groove. It doesn't have the technical brilliance.

Its almost like, lets see how much stuff i can push on my fans.

Edited by Guest

How can he be even closely or remotely compared to 01 and 02 TAB with this stuff he's playing now?

He can't.

Apples and Oranges. The instrumentation has completely changed. It's like comparing sculpture and painting.

It doesn't have the intensity or the shredding. It doesn't have the groove. It doesn't have the technical brilliance.

Either does The Band. They still rule.

Maybe he doesn't want to shred.

I saw TAB @ 'roo last year AWESOME...any guy who'll take risks like that man did at that show (classical 1st set) is a true musician/artist and has different motives than fan pandering and regurgetation of the the shreds the kids dig.

There's a level of sophistication that he is trying to achieve. I have the DVD that came with Undermind and he speaks to playing way less to achieve even more musically. My thoughts are that his playing is more about the notes he's not playing these days.

I'll be seeing Trey this Friday in NYC.

You may be right. It may suck, but it'll suck for not accomplishing solid musical movements and transitions not because of it lacks the intensity of the huge TAB that was present in '01 and '02.

How could it? Why would it try to?

I wonder what his goal is with the project?

Deeps

Compared to those runs with TAB, this is TREY LITE.

Seriously. How can he be even closely or remotely compared to 01 and 02 TAB with this stuff he's playing now?

Its almost like, lets see how much stuff i can push on my fans.

I think it would be unfair to not validate some of the claims above that I questioned last week.

I saw the show on Friday last week. It did lack the technical brilliance of the TAB of the past. There were a number of missed changes and the drummer seemed to lag at times.

I think the fact is that trying to pull off tunes like "push on 'til the day" without the horns and with a drummer who isn't comfortable with these tempos is a mistake. These tunes have a personality that needs to be maintained and Unfortunately they can't really achieve what they are supposed to without the same players.

However, it was interesting to see how the band swung some sections of "push on..." and really gave me a glimpse of what the root of the tunes must have been when Trey conceived them. Cool to see such a deconstruction and the outro of the tune was awesome as it seemed that the band allowed themselves to completely abandon the recorded version and just feel their way through, this is what a band is supposed to do.

"Night Speaks" on the other hand was pretty dang solid and the band did it justice. Easier.

It seemed that forcing these players to duplicate grooves and intensities that are on the TAB albums worked to an overall disadvantage, but it is likely that this is the angle Trey's taken because there is a younger crowd who wants to hear the stuff they know.

The crowd was reminiscent of a DMB crowd. A little younger and a little more eager to make a star out of someone....many of them probably don't know much Phish and Trey as a business dude needs to hand them what they paid for their tix for. They won't know that it's sub-par and essentially he is trying to build a following so he's got to put on the stage regardless. It's good for business and questionable artitically...I'm sure he's aware.

As a listener I would have preferred that TAB tunes were generally left alone if they didn't feel right in rehearsal (which they couldn't have).

I think this is where the dissapointment of Mr. tube lies too.

On the topic of dissapointment...when we bitch about shows or players I think it a good idea to find what we like and where the potential is. The constructive part of constructive-criticsm should not be omitted because we are not personally in touch with the players.

Which songs are original to the group of players that were on that stage? In a number of tunes I did not recognize they seemed to lock up in a comfortable way and reached some plateaus that were Phishy, but fresher and more explorative. These moments and jams were WAY MORE Interactive and self expanding than some Phish stuff I've seen that is a little too "heady" where they go off for an eon and don't seem to be listening to eachother's ideas at all.

Loved hearing the interaction of the 2 guitars ... really elevated things. Good for the ears I tells yah.

Can't wait to see this band after recording an album together. A little more unified and some more material of their own to explore together and they'll be a great time.

Which one's are the originals...I've pulled out the one's I recognize.

Please excuse me if some of these are obvious to some of you.

Deeps

5/13/05 Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY

by Pete Carini

New York, NY May 13 08:44

Set 1:

Dark And Down

In The Light

Set 2:

The Way I Feel >

Mr. Completely >

Goodbye Head >

Black

Come As Melody

im lookin foward to givin it a listen so i can bitch and moan too ;)

got me thinkin about that tAb show from san fran with carlos,,, fucking best ever way i feel, just the way trey and santana riff with each other tradin off note for note geez its good.

gonna go find that shit

and mr completely is totally a tab tune as its on the trey cd he released