Jambands.ca

toronto bsc venue change ...

mark tonin

Was this already posted? Did I miss this?

I just went to the Big Summer Classic web site to find out more about Toronto Island, how to get there, etc. (I've never been there before) and I noticed that the venue has been changed to the Docks. Here is the info from the BSC web site:

"Toronto BIG Summer Classic on July 12 Moves to The Docks

Due to the threat of job action by city workers and the potential of transportation interruptions to Olympic Island, the Big Summer Classic Toronto show on July 12 is being moved to The Docks Concert Theatre on Polson Pier (at 11 Polson St.). All tickets for the Olympic Island show will be honored at the door, and a refund for transport fees will be available to all ticket holders.

We think this change is great news. BIG patrons will have access to the whole Polson Pier site which includes an outdoor pool, driving range, volleyball courts, soccer pitch, carnival rides, and many other amenities. The venue features a waterfront location, accessible by public transit, with water fountains, public showers, tons of parking (with overnighting OK), reasonably-priced food concessions (much cheaper than the island). The show itself will now run later into the evening, with the brand new "Next Level" 2nd floor area of the venue, complete with retractable roof, offering an unparalleled view of the city while enjoying the show. Now that’s BIG!"

Should be loads of fun at the Docks ... I especially like the idea of being able to park overnight there!

Peace, Mark

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... I'm going to come out of the closet here. I'm actually the promoter of the Big Summer Classic in Toronto. I'll keep checking in and posting as frequently as I can, and answering questions about the change in venue for the show. Obviously a last-minute venue change is not the easiest thing to pull off on a tour of this size on such short notice, but we've got a team of people working really hard to give everyone the best experience possible, and I believe the show will be great! And yes we'll have a big old stack of $5 bills (safely secured! lol) to hand back to everyone as they come in - the show is now $5 cheaper as a result of the move... no ferry fees!

Shuttle buses from the ferry terminal to the new venue are being looked into, but we are pretty confident that the tightness of the community coming to this fest means that word of mouth will get out in a hurry and we won't have very many people heading to the island. A real plus here is that it's only a 5-minute drive between the ferry terminal and The Docks and easily accessible from one to the other by public transit. We'll have someone down at the ferry terminal to help redirect people to The Docks, and we're going to start the show a little later so no one who goes to the ferry terminal first misses a minute of the band they want to see first.

We really couldn't take the chance that this labour dispute wasn't going to get settled this weekend, forcing us to pull the plug on the show rather than have to ask the bands and fans to cross a picket line to go see it. I hope everyone understands and will help us spread the word and make this an even BIGGER Summer Classic. People I know who were at the Red Rocks shows are raving about all the bands... and we get Xavier Rudd up here in Toronto too which is such a great treat. Last thing - please everyone come early to see Umphrey's McGee... these guys are the next keepers of the flame for the scene and will blow your mind.

Jason

Um... I'm going to come out of the closet here. I'm actually the promoter of the Big Summer Classic in Toronto. I'll keep checking in and posting as frequently as I can, and answering questions about the change in venue for the show. Obviously a last-minute venue change is not the easiest thing to pull off on a tour of this size on such short notice, but we've got a team of people working really hard to give everyone the best experience possible, and I believe the show will be great! And yes we'll have a big old stack of $5 bills (safely secured! lol) to hand back to everyone as they come in - the show is now $5 cheaper as a result of the move... no ferry fees!

Shuttle buses from the ferry terminal to the new venue are being looked into, but we are pretty confident that the tightness of the community coming to this fest means that word of mouth will get out in a hurry and we won't have very many people heading to the island. A real plus here is that it's only a 5-minute drive between the ferry terminal and The Docks and easily accessible from one to the other by public transit. We'll have someone down at the ferry terminal to help redirect people to The Docks, and we're going to start the show a little later so no one who goes to the ferry terminal first misses a minute of the band they want to see first.

We really couldn't take the chance that this labour dispute wasn't going to get settled this weekend, forcing us to pull the plug on the show rather than have to ask the bands and fans to cross a picket line to go see it. I hope everyone understands and will help us spread the word and make this an even BIGGER Summer Classic. People I know who were at the Red Rocks shows are raving about all the bands... and we get Xavier Rudd up here in Toronto too which is such a great treat. Last thing - please everyone come early to see Umphrey's McGee... these guys are the next keepers of the flame for the scene and will blow your mind.

Jason

Standup of you brah...

please everyone come early to see Umphrey's McGee... these guys are the next keepers of the flame for the scene and will blow your mind.

I have to call shenanigans on this one though brah, UM is most certainly not the "next keepers of the flame for the scene"... Sorry to disappoint...

"I'm going to come out of the closet here."

Thanks for coming out of the closest kyebay, and for bring such a huge show to Toronto. I'm looking forward to a fantastic show on Tuesday at the Docks. Yes we won't be outside on the island for this show, which would have been sweet, but we are still lucky that we don't have to cross the border to see a show of this caliber. It is going to be sweet, and the sound system at the Docks is great. There is also lots of room at the Docks to sit back and enjoy the patio, with a great view of the Toronto skyline.

Umphrey's is certainly getting lots of hype these days, and many people are stoked about seeing them for the first time (myself included). Many had hoped that they would be playing later on, but it's tough to please everyone.

Looking forward to a fabulous day!

Peace, Mark

I have seen Umphrey's McGee twice (bonnaroo 2002 and 2004) and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed their sets both times.

At the first bonnaroo they performed Rush's "YYZ" which was a treat and it would be cool if they knew to perform that song in the home of Rush.

I've been waiting since 2002 for Umphrey's to come and perform Toronto and I'm happy that it's finally happening.

I don't know if I see them as the next Phish, but I do see them as the next moe., if that means anything at all?

Edited by Guest

kyebay - thanks a lot for making this show happen! Admitedly I'm very disapointed about the show not happening on the island. It would have been a dream show in a dream venue. Still happy the show is going to still happen, just too bad you weren't able to wait any longer regarding the labour dispute verdict. But I understand that it would take a few days to get the switch all sorted out.

So what time is it all going down?

WELCOME Kyebye!

I have to call shenanigans on this one though brah, UM is most certainly not the "next keepers of the flame for the scene"... Sorry to disappoint...

[color:purple]Oh Jeez Del. That was a disappointing post. I thought that Umphrey's were FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! I guess I was wrong, along with a boatload of other people. I'll let them know that everyone should move on ;)

Umphrey's McGee is pretty much garnering the biggest excitement out of me for the Big Summer Classic. I love SCI, I'm digging Keller, and I've seen Xavier 2 times already so they are at a disadvantage from the get-go :D

Umphrey's were at moe.down but I didn't really 'hear' them. Since I've downloaded that widely popular soundboard via bitTorrent (I believe), I've become ridiculously blown-away by the guitarists. Those guys are going to suck up alot of my attention when the band is on stage in Ottawa.

I just found a link my brother sent me for Umphrey's doing basically side 2 of Abbey Road. I think it was dedicated to our dog Abbey ;)

Umphrey's

I never said I hated Umphrey's, all I said was they aren't the keepers of the flame for the scene...

I'm looking forward to hearing them as well, but I don't see them being able to step up to play the role as the next big thing...

People need to chill out - anytime I post something remotely outside of someone else's opinion they cop to the "Del hates everything" line... It's ridiculous and above all it's not true...

I'm sorry my opinions don't match everyone else's and that I don't receive every band with wide eyes and open arms, but I was under the impression that this was a message board that discussed music... That means we're allowed to have different opinions about music... I wasn't aware that having different tastes in music meant that I don't like anything...

Try reading my post again and tell me where I said that Umphrey's weren't a good band, or that people should "move on"... Maybe I'll start fluffing every band that people mention on here so there won't be any other misunderstandings...

On that note: [color:purple]I can't wait for Spearhead!