Jambands.ca

EVOLVE FESTIVAL LINE - UP

Jay Funk Dawg

EVOLVE FESTIVAL AUG. 26-28

ANTIGONISH, NS

www.evolvefestival.com

From the world’s of rock, jazz, funk, hip hop, bluegrass and electronica, EVOLVE is very proud to announce the list of performers at this summer’s festival - the most powerful lineup of musical talent that we’ve ever assembled.

lineupLrg1.jpg

SURPRISE ME Mr. DAVIS (Boston, MA)

THE SLIP w/NATHAN MOORE

www.theslip.com

STEVE KIMOCK BAND (Bethlehem, PA)

www.kimock.com/

JUNGLE BROTHERS (New York)

www.jbeez.com

DJ HARRY (Boulder, Colorado)

www.djharry.net/

VORCZA TRIO feat. Ray from Dave Matthews & Friends (Sheffield, VT)

www.vorcza.com

MO7S (Boston/LA)

www.mo7s.com/

DJ MELO (Finland)

www.djmelo.info

CHRIS BROWN’S CITIZEN BAND (New York)

www.chrisbrownmusic.com

CHRIS BROWN & KATE FENNER (New York)

www.chrisandkate.com

WASSABI COLLECTIVE (Nelson, BC)

www.wassabi.net

MIKE WALSH (Boston)

marzentertainment.com

THE PHAT CONDUCTOR (Toronto)

www.thephatconductor.com

THE ELECTRICIAN (Toronto)

www.womped.com

NINE MILE (Toronto)

www.nine-mile.com

KOBAYASHI (Montreal)

www.kobayashi-jazz.com

STEPHEN FRANKE & NOISES FROM THE TOOLSHED (Victoria, BC)

www.stephenfranke.ca

SLOW COASTER (Cape Breton, NS)

www.houseofrock.ca/sloco.php

ALL OF GREEN (Fredericton)

www.allofgreen.com

SONNY D with JESSICA KNIGHT (Halifax)

www.movethemasses.com

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (Antigonish/Toronto/Cape Breton)

www.highplainsdrifter.ca

DUANE ANDREWS (St. John's, NFLD)

www.duaneandrews.ca

THE CHAMELEON PROJECT (Toronto)

www.chameleonproject.com

CLASSIFIED (Halifax)

www.urbnetrecords.com

ROGER HOWSE (Halifax)

www.rogerhowse.com

DVD (Antigonish, NS)

www.movethemasses.com

STEVE THE VIKING (Fredericton)

www.ultrasoundproductions.ca

MATT ANAKA (Sackville, NB)

www.courageous-productions.com

ZOO (Halifax)

www.massive-productions.com

SOUNDSYSTER (Fredericton)

www.soundsyster.com

JAY HAMILTON (Halifax)

www.jay-hamilton.com

DJ TOMMYKNUCKLES (Halifax)

www.knucklesproductions.com

JODY CROWE (Halifax)

www.courageous-productions.com/

MELONWORKS (Fredericton, NB)

FAT JEBUS (Fredericton, NB)

THE GRATEFULLY DEADICATED SOUND SYSTEM (Toronto)

ok... how long is the friggin drive from Ottawa?

I'm actually detracted from going due to the DJ's though. What's the deal with the DJ's? Does is affect the weekend for someone that like's live music?

Edited by Guest

I'm actually detracted from going due to the DJ's though. What's the deal with the DJ's? Does is affect the weekend for someone that like's like music?

I wasn't there last year but I can tell you that they year before there was absolutely no escaping the DJ music. The bands do not play all night but the DJs do. It can really detract from the overall experience. That being said, if the list of bands and the spectactular venue lead you there, bring earplugs (industrial) and consider hiking down the beach a ways (if it's still on the water) and setting up your tent there.

The DJ thing has been a point of contension for a lot of folks. I've always packed a couple of ear plugs and camped far away from the stages so that it hasn't been too big of a problem for me.

It's that mix of Band and DJ audiences that has made Evovle so unique. I've found myself dancing late into night to the DJs.. it was the vibe that attracted me not the music.

I am however becoming more and more a fan of electronic music having been now exposed to it for the past 5 years. Mark Farina, The Phat Conductor, Simply Jeff, Skratch Bastid, DJ IV and more have done a lot to show me that electronic music can have a ton of musicianship.

That being said, I think that the line up The Slip/Nathan More, Steve Kimock, The Jungle Bros, Wassabi Collective, Vorzca, Chris Brown & Kate Fenner, Nine Mile, Kobayashi, Burt Neilson Band, Chameleon Project and High Plains Drifter are reasons enough to make the trip! :)

just added to the Evolve lineup this morning:

THEMASSES (Vancouver BC)

www.themasses.ca

Themasses' music is a blend of infectious beats and unique progressions without formulas or rules. It's created with the live performance in mind, where the crowd is the show and the dance floor is the stage. They combine organic electronica with funk, jazz and rock resulting in an upbeat, original sound that has been packing western Canada's dance floors consistently for almost three years. Themasses are: Mark Strachan (guitar), Ben F. Brown (keyboards), Eric Stephenson (bass) and Ali Siadat (drums)

Formed in 2002 beneath the dramatic landscape of Vancouver BC, Themasses have developed a large, loyal following due to their unique style and solid musicianship. They have headlined over 80 shows including three appearances at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival and three intensive tours of Western Canada. Currently, they are looking towards the future with plans of a major Canadian tour in support of their first full-length CD due in the fall of 2005.

Meh..... I only live about 4 hours away....The lineup alone wouldnt get me to drive that....but i'll probably just go for the party...[color:purple]and hate every minute of the live music...[color:purple] ;) (insert sarcastic purple font here.....if it would fahk'n work for me ..Ever)

Cheers

Nice Job on gettin it together, see ya there

Edited by Guest

Themasses bringin' a little more of the West Coast vibe out East for evolve this year!!

All you evolve folk will not be diappointed.

Here's a band that exemplifies evolve's unique marriage between live bands & electronic music... Themasses are the BOMB!!

So Weez... you guys jammed with Fareed at Bonfire, does Kimock get the call at evolve? ;)

A couple of questions... As it reads right now, there will be a SMMD set but no Slip set. You wouldn't bring the boys out and not have a Slip set as well, would you?

And maybe not a question for Jaydawg, but is there truthfully any quiet/family camping on site? I know it's adverstised as such but last year when I got to the gate they couldn't direct me to either the VIP (I had a media pass) or the quiet camping, so I'm inclined to think that it didn't exist.

A couple of questions... As it reads right now, there will be a SMMD set but no Slip set. You wouldn't bring the boys out and not have a Slip set as well, would you?

If I were going I'd rather have a Slip set than a SMMD set, although both would be even better... I just hope that for those who go this year the Evolve people get their shit together and give the boys the amount of time they deserve... 70 minutes without an encore last year was a fucking disgrace...

I partied with the SLIP boys all night at Evolve, and I didn't get any pissed off sentiment in regards to their set length.

I don't remember every last detail of Evolve 5, but I think they did play a wicked set ending with "If One of us should fall" Their set was packed with emotion and I was very happy with their performance.

The nature of the festival setting is that bands cannot really do encores because of tight timeslots. I that particular circumstance I think it was Grand Theft Bus was the band who was offered a last minute encore opportunity, that ended up throwing the schedule off by a half hour.

As for the quiet camping I know that I've always been prvy to the location, not everyone is in the loop, we will make it a priority to make sure that it is more visable to concert goers.

The nature of the festival setting is that bands cannot really do encores because of tight timeslots.

Then why did The Trews get an encore?

Nobody is complaining about the quality of The Slip's performance, but 70 minutes for the headliner with no encore so a shitty DJ can get on stage is ridiculous... What's an extra 10 minutes?

It was bit weird leading up to their set. Brad was sleeping on the ground right next to the stage, and I could tell they were exhausted by all the travelling. (A long flight and drive) I know those guys are the hard on themselves, they are so into their craft... I know it is not entirely possible to play your best every night, especially for a group that shines the most when they improvise.

proud was the closer that nite. vorcza also got an encore. and i think friedman wasnt happy with me, personally, because of something i asked him, regarding the quality of their set. ;)

(for the record, i didnt think they had a very consistent set.. i found it was 50/50 on the highs and lows... wolof ruled, poorboy sucked, fuji was massive, proud was messy... that being said, one quality i really do love about a band like that is their patience to work with a song that is going horribly wrong and play it and re-work it until they finish it strong... a point i never got to get to with friedman. :) )

see ya's at zedzedtopp tonite!