Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With their elimination from the playoffs, the Ottawa Senators and goaltender Ray Emery had a chance on Thursday to reflect on what went wrong with their once promising season.

Many are laying the blame squarely at the feet of Emery, claiming his various antics during the season became an unnecessary distraction for the team, de-railing what could have been another extended playoff run.

"I don't take responsibilty for the team losing in the playoffs I can tell you that much," Emery told reporters Thursday as the team cleaned out their lockers.

The Cayuga, Ontario native discussed his disappointing year at lengths with reporters, touching on what has been a very tumultuous season. Although Emery admitted he did not perform up to standards this year, he said he would not be the fall guy for the team.

"Yeah it was a really bad year for me," said Emery. "The worst year I've had - on and off the ice - it just wasn't enjoyable at all. I learned a lot of things but that's about it - not too many positives."

After signing a $9.5 million contract in the off-season that followed a trip to the Stanley Cup finals last year, Emery became a lightning rod for criticism in the nation's capital. He was late for practice on a couple of occasions, including a well publicized episode following the All-Star break. When he did show up on time, his work ethic was questioned by then-coach John Paddock, who was fired at the end of February.

"I was just like a time bomb," Emery said Thursday, noting that GM Bryan Murray probably would have fired Emery along with Paddock if it was possible.

Emery admitted to reporters that he was unhappy about not playing, but believes he had earned the number one spot between the pipes for the Sens.

"I wasn't playing as much as I wanted to and they (management) we coming at me, upset with me - I was pissed off," said Emery. "I thought, you take a team to the finals you're the guy until you're bad enough not to be the guy kind of thing, and I shouldn't have treated it that way. I've worked for everything I've gotten in my life and I should have just worked to get back there. I approached it the wrong way."

With the team's early playoff exit, changes are likely on the way in Ottawa. The 25-year old Emery is unsure of the direction the Senators will take in the off-season, but he would like to remain in Ottawa.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen. That's the team's decision," Emery said. "I really like playing here. I like the guys on the team. I know it's been a negative situation for most of this year."

Despite reports of locker room rifts and internal strife, Emery still believes that he can remain a part of the team and that any negativity in terms of the team's chemistry was pure fabrication by the media.

"Anything I saw that said, 'oh the goalie is a cancer, the goalie is a cancer to the team and the room and stuff.' I love the guys on this team. There is no guy on this team that isn't a buddy to me. If they say any different then they have been smiling to my face and talking behind my back."

Regardless of the Emery situation, this could be a very different looking Senators team next year as forwards Shean Donovan, Chris Kelly, Cory Stillman, Randy Robitaille and Martin Lapointe, along with blueliners Wade Redden, Mike Commodore and Luke Richardson will all be unrestricted free agents come July 1st.

In addition, Antoine Vermette, Brian McGrattan and Andrej Meszaros will all be restricted free agents and will likely be looking for raises.

Popped into the sportswear store at the mall last night.

BIG SALE ON SENATORS WEAR!!

Highlights included Wade Redden and Ray Emery T Shirts (Officially Licensed Product) now $6.99, regular price $29.99.

Savings of 77% !!!

(Plenty of stock left!)

By this time next year, Emery will be working at that store selling the t-shirts.

Highlights included Wade Redden and Ray Emery T Shirts (Officially Licensed Product) now $6.99, regular price $29.99.

Those Emery tees will be fashionably ironic in a few years. I better head down there after work tomorrow. Heck, let's go at lunch!