Jambands.ca

COME TOGETHER INDIE ROCK STAGE: LOOKING FOR ARTISTS

Jay Funk Dawg

final_ctf.gif

CALL FOR INDIE ROCK ARTIST:

SATURDAY, SEPT 3, 2005

www.cometogethermusicfest.ca

Labour Day - Long Weekend - Sept 2-3-4

Izzy's Inland Outfitters Waterford, ON (near Brantford)

email: jay.cleary@gmail.com if you are intersted

For over 6 years The Come Together Music Festival has been a haven for music lovers across Canada. Held on an intimate camping park near Brantford, ON, The Come Together Music Festival is a three-day music and camping extravaganza featuring two stages, 40 artists on a 200-acre campground situated on beautiful lake and surrounded by a lush forest. Approximately 1000 people gather for the festival every year, making it a great opportunity for new bands to showcase to a new audience.

The Come Together Festivals have developed a reputation for breaking undiscovered acts into the Canadian Market. This year's Festival will include performances by Canada's Top Roots Rock Touring Act Burt Neilson Band, Victoria Jazz Fusionist Stephen Franke and the Noises From the Toolshed, From Woodstock, NY Professor Louis and the Cromatix, Vancouver BC's electrofunksters Themass, SoOn's top Dead tribute act Caution Jam, Toronto Afrobeat Funksters Mr.Something Something, K/W blues rockers Diesel Dog, World beat jazzers High Plains Drifter and Brantford's own Mark Wilson & The Way It Is, Jomomma, Friends of Hefner and this year a INDIE ROCK STAGE!

FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT - www.cometogethermusicfest.ca Founded by Brantford roots musician Mark Wilson, The Come Together Festival is run entirely by musicians and volunteers from across Canada and is not supported by any corporate sponsorship. Showcasing a diversity of music including roots, jazz, blues, reggae and rock, The Come Together Music Festivals draws an open-minded music loving community from points all over Canada.

Come Together Festivals also showcases local artisans and food vendors selling handmade goods and delicious and tasty treats in onsite Farmer's Market. Social activists also run tables to promote healthy living and to develop awareness of global justice issues.

The Come Together Festivals is held on Izzy's Inland Outfitters in Waterford, Ontario, which is located south of Brantford and north of Simcoe, approximately 45 minutes southwest of Hamilton. The venue has flush toilets, showers, running water, and a concession stand with hot food. The lake is available for swimming, boating and fishing.

Advance Weekend tickets are $65; a block of 10 tickets is $600. Weekend Tickets are $75 at the gate, Weekend passes starting on Saturday are $50 and Sunday is $30. A limited amount of single day

passes will be available at the gate.

For more information on the festival, visit

www.cometogethermusicfest.ca

We often have to label music so that people can comprehend or get a sense of the "style" or "vibe" of the music.

The interest of the Come Together Indie Rock Stage is to help new rock bands reach new audiences, and vice versa, bringing in some new faces to our party.

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. ... Frank Zappa

The interest of the Come Together Indie Rock Stage is to help new rock bands reach new audiences, and vice versa, bringing in some new faces to our party.

This is also what we are trying to do with the acoustic stage on Saturday ... bring in some artisits that have rarely/never played at the festival to help them reach new audiences, and to bring in some new faces to our party that will fit with the vibe of the event and help it to grow in a postive way. Here are 4 acts that are booked for the acoustic stage on Saturday ... I think that we are in for a treat! Peace, Mark

Lucas Stagg

Throughout the late 1990’s and early 2000’s Central Canada was the backdrop. Playing at rock n’ roll fairs and licensed establishments with his band, Room 101 was how he spent his late teens. Like any band, “The Room†had their ups and downs, and, finally called it quits in the fall of 2002.

Since then, Lucas has taken the “one man and his guitar show†to heart, and to the road. He recently toured through 22 countries across Europe, recorded an album with Canadian Guitar Legend Jack de Keyzer as producer, written a stack of new songs (including everything from hit parade material to gospel, train songs, instrumentals, and tributes for Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan), and, has just released his new record, Play For Keeps. It’s an acoustic walk through the places he’s been, including good ol’ Waterloo, the city he currently calls home.

Lucas Stagg’s recorded and live music has not only been heard, but more importantly well enjoyed in; Canada, U.S.A., England, Germany, Australia, Spain, and beyond.

www.lucasstagg.com

Mandi Hancock

Small town girl Mandi Hancock moved to Kitchener, Ontario in 1993 and it was there she took the steps towards performing her songs live. Here she landed a regular gig at the Circus Room where she hosted the weekly jam with Scott Wicken. Mandi could be seen playing in the Kitchener-Waterloo (K-W) area quite frequently and has shared the stage with a good number of K-W’s local musicians. Mandi enjoyed playing solo but was often seen playing with Jason Schneider (Shannon Lyon & The World Record Players), Tom Murray, Chris Gatchene (The Fat Cats) and Deanna Knight (The Hot Club of Mars).

Mandi moved to Toronto in 1999. Here, she put her music on the backburner and completed her degree in graphic design.

In 2004, Mandi was feeling uninspired in the big city, and missed the strong musical influences K-W had to offer. She decided to pack her bags and return to the place she calls “homeâ€. Mandi is back playing with many of her aforementioned friends, working towards releasing her first album which will be available in the fall of 2005.

The Hawk Dawsons

The Hawk Dawsons are brothers Robert, Richard, and Levon Dawson. They enjoy cold beer, frisbee, and the Rolling Stones in equal measures. With part-time gigs in other rock bands, the brothers always seem to end up together, singing boozey yarns about love and the universe. Classic stuff from men who've toured the world and seen it all, and are still just glad to have each other and their guitars.

www.thestarshere.com

www.doormatrecords.com

Mary 5e

Her debut album, Made of Gold is something special. What’s remarkable about the album is not that it roams effortlessly between leaden electric rock and sweet acoustic folk rock. It’s not that Mary’s outstanding voice is equally capable of belting out snarly heavy lyric lines while, a scant few songs later, melting your heart with a plaintive whimper. It’s not even the artist’s surprisingly skilled grasp of melody and stellar harmonies. The remarkable thing about Made of Gold is that all of these things are true of it, and that the songs are good.

In the near future Mary will release an acoustic album, and surely local fans are anxious for it. Mary is well known in her music scene and people are taking notice in unexpected places: her web site receives many hits and CD orders from the U.S. and the UK, and readers of The Kitchener-Waterloo Record voted Mary favourite female artist in both 2002 and 2004.

www.mary5e.com

Hey Todd,

I'm not the guy running the acoustic stage, but I'm almost positive that the Saturday acoustic stage is full. Having said that, depending on how things go, the Indie Stage on Sunday may include some acoustic acts as well. I'm not really sure of the status of things at the moment, but I will discuss with Jay and Mark Wilson to see where things stand.

Hope your trip is going well ... I assume that you are still in Newfoundland?

Peace, Mark

I dunno shainhouse

if I want to hear rock I want to hear rock, if I want to hear loose improvisation I don't want to hear rock and vice versa

labels can also be explanatory so people can make informed choices

labels can be damaging when they're incorrect or unfairly biased but some people set out to be indie rockers and some people don't... openly asking around for indie bands invites people who label their own music 'indie' to play, don't really see any harm in that

This is also what we are trying to do with the acoustic stage on Saturday ... bring in some artisits that have rarely/never played at the festival to help them reach new audiences, and to bring in some new faces to our party that will fit with the vibe of the event and help it to grow in a postive way.

[color:red]DOUG FEAVER

please.

(he travelled all the way up for an hour set at the first CTMF, but hasn't been invited back since? i spoke to him about this earlier in the year, and he said he'd be more than willing to play...how can anyone be more perfect for the Acoustic Stage roll than Doug Feaver?)

Edited by Guest

An on-going debate between some promoters is whether it's better to book bills involving the same 'style' or 'genre' of music, or whether to mix it up and have multiple styles on the same bill.

Getting differing bands chances to play to new audiences is always a valiant idea. But I find not as easy to execute as we'd all like.

Tendencies usually set towards: "Oh this is the indie band, this is where I go take a smoke break. I'll come back when the funk returns."... and of course vice versa.

Jaime, I agree. but what is 'Indie'? Define.

I usually think of 'indie rock' as rock bands who aren't signed to a label, therefore going at it independently... in the truest form, bands who don't even want to be signed by anyone

think the real bastardization of the term comes when a big label heralds the new 'indie' band they just signed (which 95% of the time turns out to be a formula based clone of some already money generating band)

Hey Mark, I've got a great band called MUSTASHAT (must-stash-hat) is there anymore room on the indie stage either days. We'll take anything we jst want some exposure!!!

www.massiverecordproductions.com clcik artists and you'll find mustashat

or please email us mustashat@hotmail.com we can go acoustic aswell. lemme know pleeeeeeeeeease!

While the term "indie" has largely been co-opted in the same way as the "Alternative" category of music was in the 90s, it does give larger audiences a sense of what the music may be like. It usually doesn't define the style or the sound but it plants an artist within a broadly-defined camp and definitely tells you what they're not

I'll bet you that the "jambands" playing at this festival wish they were playing on the "indie" stage, or as Shain said that there were no labels at all, and just stages.

For Whom the Bell Tolls? Jambands of course. Pity the band who gets labelled a jamband.

So we have a guy with phish and 420 in his login name is looking to put his band on the indie stage.

And in the first post, there's only one mention of the word "jam" in this paragraph describing bands formerly known as jambands - caution jam:

The Come Together Festivals have developed a reputation for breaking undiscovered acts into the Canadian Market. This year's Festival will include performances by Canada's Top Roots Rock Touring Act Burt Neilson Band, Victoria Jazz Fusionist Stephen Franke and the Noises From the Toolshed, From Woodstock, NY Professor Louis and the Cromatix, Vancouver BC's electrofunksters Themass, SoOn's top Dead tribute act Caution Jam, Toronto Afrobeat Funksters Mr.Something Something, K/W blues rockers Diesel Dog, World beat jazzers High Plains Drifter and Brantford's own Mark Wilson & The Way It Is, Jomomma, Friends of Hefner and this year a INDIE ROCK STAGE!

Pity the band who gets labelled a jamband.

Hear here. Or Indie for that matter.

It's some scary schtuff to get pigeon holed into any category.

Good...not good.

That's about the extent to which real music appreciators will go in classifying a band.

In a lot of cases it seems that the Indie diehards have their mind made up about Jam music. And vice versa.

I must say it is really up to the fans to stop being so closed minded.

Ask only...do I dig it? And further to that allow yourself to dig new sounds brothers and sisters.

I would like to commend the CTMF folk for diversifying and wish them all the luck in attracting some attention from what I've seen as a tough market to introduce new sounds to. Both sides (Jam and Indie) I am talking about here.

It'd be nice to see some promoters take the initiative and book diverse shows. Take a risk get a smaller venue see what will happen!

It may blow up a couple of times, but I gotta believe people are able to handle it. Aren't they? It would help MUSIC in general.

I know my band is dedicated to helping to rip down these walls of uselessly competing cultures.

Willing to take a financial hit for the cultural good. We're a little young still though and maybe that is where the idealism comes from.

Deeps

Yeah names don't mean much. Must admit that growing up i didn't listen much to artists such as Phish, The Dead etc. My choices tended to Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, The Stones etc. Having said that, one of my favourite artists right now is BNB (whom I discovered on the Rev's radio program). Dunno if that means my musical horizons are expanding or that musical genres are being blurred, but in the long run it doesn't matter. I'm still discovering artists that I really enjoy and that's as exciting as it ever was.