Jambands.ca

FUN WORDS--

Calamity Jane

I LOVE words -- fun stuff! Slang also rocks (I remember learning "squidgmen" or something on here from the Scotties -- what was that term again, Guigs?)

This past weekend, I "learned" some folks the British term "snog", as in "I snogged my bit o' stuff last night." For reference, I am Dave's "bit of stuff". (not a terribly flattering term, but cute!)

Willy just used the word finagle (spelled inaccurately) which sent me immediately to my dictionary. On the way to finagle, I found:

"fecula":

1. fecal matter, esp. of insects.

2. dregs or foul or muddy water.

from the Latin faecula meaning the crust of wine!

wtf? what's a crust of wine?

I LOVE words!!!!

One of my all-time favourite words is "defenestrate", meaning, "to throw someone (or something) through a window".

My dictionary doesn't have "fecula", but does have "feculence", which means (among other things) "dregs or sediment", which would be that "crust of wine": the junk that accumulates at the bottom of a wine bottle or barrel.

Aloha,

Brad

Ha ha ha - I learned "defenestrate" from a buddy working at Harlequin books as a proof-reader. One of their 'action' writers had the villain crash his car into a concrete embankment, be defenestrated (shoulda had his seat belt on), then the car flipped onto him, then blew up for good measure.

He used to keep a journal of wonderful quotes and passages from his job.

Anyway, one of my favourite words is abstemious. First, because I'm NOT. Second, its got all the vowels in order.

Words and slang conjur up so many images in the mind. Where would we be without them. Lost. The slang always gets me as I hail from the maritimes where the lobster pots overflow with it. I came across some slang in a Dar Williams CD in which she was writing about one of her songs and where the inspiration for it came from..."The chorus of this came into my head while I was being rolfed!"

No explanation needed on this one and there's nothing like a good rolfing!

belligerent - inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness

Fun to say and fun to be.

"I'd break your fuckin' nose \/\/i!!y; and I don't know how you'd look afterwards." :crazy:

"This is my cup bitch, get your own." :o

Two examples of Deb being belligerent after one sip of my elixir at Lose Yer Shoes. She is the Master of Belligerence.

FYI. elixir - a sweetened liquid usually containing alcohol that is used in medication either for its medicinal ingredients or as a flavoring

Love Ya Girl! :P

Someone tried to tell me that:

"IRREGARDLESS" was a word the other day.

I told him that there was no such word and that it should be "REGARDLESS".

He insisted it was a word, so I told him if that was so to show it to me in a dictionary. Sure enough it was there!!!!

IRREGARDLESS:

1. an erroneous redundancy for regardless.

2. a mistaken fusion of irrespective and regardless.

So it IS a word because it's in the dictionary but it's not a word becasue the dictionary defines it as such.

Wait, isn't that the definition of IRONIC?