Jambands.ca

Ever almost died?

Velvet

I guess I almost coulda died in the fire a coupla years back and I once was swimming and got my leg trapped under the water in rapids that held me at the bottom until I finally freed my leg.

And dengue fever I guess, 5% mortality rate the first time, 40-60% the next time (hope I don't get it again).

I certainly thought I was gonna die when the raft flipped on top of me white water rafting, but I'm sure I was in pretty little danger.

I'm sure there's more, but how 'bout you, you almost die ever?

Guest Low Roller

I fell off a cliff once as the ground underneath my feet gave way. I plummetted about three stories into a shallow river. I knocked myself unconscious as I hit the riverbed, and luckily I lied in the water face-up, otherwise I probably would have drowned.

I was also hit by a car while walking across an intersection.

Both times I basically should have died, but I guess it wasn't in my design just yet.

I'm sure there were any number of times where realistically I should have nodded off and floated into a coma but fortunately nothing along thsoe lines has happened. One time though in Waterton Lakes National Park in the south western tip of Alberta bordering Montana and BC I took a big tumble bouldering partially over water and partially land. It must have been about a 12 metre drop and I was knocked the fuck out. I was taken by speed boat to shore, by car to the ranger's house, the ranger's car to the nearest hospital in Pincher Creek, then taken by patient transfer unit (basically a long haul modified ambulance) to Calgary Foothills Medical Centre. From the moment I presented I was treated as a full on spinal case (turns out I had a stable fracture to my C6 vertebrae) and was therefore immobalized and rolled on and off gurneys for tests by at very least a team of six people. But I was very lucky I could have suffered serious spinal damage if I was just a vertebrae down at C7. I'm sure I've had other brushes with death but that one certainly stands out in my mind, at very least I'm lucky to be walking.

Hm, let's see...

Plane I was in lost an engine over Manchester...

Very irate Spanish guy in Calcutta got really, really upset when we wouldn't buy hash from him. No telling how that night might have turned out...

Got hit by a car on my bike when I was 20...

Countless moments of near over-intoxication...

And then a whole mess of incidents that I'm sure I'm blocking out of my consciousness....

Ever almost died?

Once,that was very close,but thats not a story for the board.

Other then that,the closest issue I ever had was my spinal surgery when they removed some of the cancer,it was a 50/50 chance of losing use of my legs.Only complication is my left leg is always "pins & needles",semi numb I guess.

So,fuck cancer....I won! smiley145hb.gif

* Family almost creamed by a logging truck in B.C.

(we were travelling through the mountains heading up and he was heading down in the wrong lane - jeesh!)

* White Water Rafting in Australia, flipped out the raft - did a triple flip into the air, came down happened to reach out and grab a rope dangling off the rock......scary as HELL, legs were all bashed up.

* Two car accidents (I was not the driver)!! Hit black ice 360 into the ditch, passenger side of car stopped literally 1cm from the biggest oldest tree on the road! Second accident -flew off the end of a T intersection into a farmers field (huge drop)

* I often walk out in front of vehicles while in my own world trying to cross the street.

I'm a really big clutz and accident's seem to find me - so there's many moments where i've thanked my lucky stars!

Edited by Guest

I was a passanger in a double head on collision, meaning we got hit head on by a car and then the car behind that car hit us head on.

Completly ripped the right side of my pelvis off my tail bone and broke it in several places.

Orginally, they told my family that I was likely not going to live through the night but I pulled through. Got to ride in a helicopter and travel down the tunnel of white light.

It was a life changing moment and in some strange ways, was one of the best things that could have happened to me at the time. It was a real wake up call and changed my direction in a most positive way.

That was really scary when you got the axe in the head.....

I remember waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to breathe because my tonsils had completely closed off, and the poison had gone into my blood stream and poisoned the rest of my body. I was on intervenus for 3 days. That was fun!

THANK GOD OUR MOM WAS A NURSE!!

Edited by Guest

Jesus! You Kings are some lucky folks. Well, lucky in that you survived. :P You probably shouldn't take any chances with "high risk" activities. I'm sure glad you two are okay.

And wow, some of these stories...scary! My broken neck and car accidents don't seem so bad now. I guess we all have a lot of reasons to thank our lucky stars.

I fell asleep waiting for a train and my foot came off the brake so I started to move towards the fast moving freight train. Luckily this happened during a driving lesson and my instructor, upon realizing I was sleeping, slammed on his brake about 4 feet from the train.

He made me smoke one of his cigarettes after that to wake me up.

And the obvious' date=' the whole thyroid cancer experience. But to quote Esau and the late Joe Strummer, I fought the lump and I won!See

[/quote']

Cheers to ya my friend.We're the lucky ones,so to speak.

While you (two) are the lucky ones, those of us who are near you are the fortunate ones: your continued presence in our lives is, indeed, a fortune measured not in dollars but in happiness.

Aloha,

Brad, Who Wrote For Hallmark In A Past Life

I fell asleep waiting for a train and my foot came off the brake so I started to move towards the fast moving freight train. Luckily this happened during a driving lesson and my instructor, upon realizing I was sleeping, slammed on his brake about 4 feet from the train.

Now that's funny. Falling asleep during a driving lesson. Priceless.

hmmm, the only thing coming to mind right now where i thought 'i might die here' was getting very sick in a small town in myanmar (no doctor) and not being able to leave my bed for 4 days, lying in darkness (light hurt). i think it was heat exhaustion but not sure really...very high fever and couldn't keep any water in me. it was a peaceful place though, and other than feeling bad that my family had no idea where i was, i was fairly equanimous (when i wasn't delusional) ;)

Unbelievable :crazy:

this summer, on the Last Sunday of August (little more than three weeks ago), i had just got home from driving when i had another seizure....(had one three years ago)

went to the hospital...came out of the seizure....no biggie...i guess...

but later on that day, while still at the hospital, i had another seizure...but this time i wouldn't come out of it...

i was seizing for over 12 minutes....no oxygen to the brain....they had to give me adavan to bring me back (well, put me to sleep basically)...

When i finally came to, i had to spend two hours going over brain tests....was told another minute and a half w/out oxgen, i would have become Brain Dead.

This was only a little over three weeks ago, and i'm still not thinking/acting/reacting properly.

not fun by any means.

Edited by Guest