Jambands.ca

Ever almost died?

Velvet

those are some serious close calls!

i'm muttering quite a few holy fuks as i read these posts!

i guess the closest i've come to death are the following;

- when i was about 12 yrs old i was doing wood (as we referred to it) for the winter with my dad and brother. We used an old manure spreader pulled by my dads tractor to transport the firewood. It was fall and had been raining a lot so the ground was soft. Anyway, I was wearing snowmobile boots and riding one of the floor boards of the spreader that had come off at the rear end. The next thing i knew I was under the back wheel...screaming! I say wheel and not tire, because they are STEEL wheels...not a stitch of rubber tire on them. Somehow my dad heard my scream over the sound of the tractor and stopped.

As my brother took off running for the house to tell my mom I was dead, my dad used the forks of the tractors bucket to lift the manure spreader and I crawled out. The ground was so soft that my leg sank into the earth and didn't break!

In 1998 (while swimming every morning at the pool, then going to school for welding all day and then to work at Butchart Gardens) my right lung gave out and i had a spontaneous pneumothorax or

collapsed lung in layman terms. Thought i was having a heart attack, but my blebs just gave out. Two weeks later i was stapled up and checking myself out of the hospital

I was driving with some friends down to Columbus, and we got hit by a Semi-truck... That's the only time I really thought 'I'm gonna die.'

I was in the backseat, driver's side, and I'll tell ya, it's REALLY scary to see a truck grille coming at you that's BIGGER than the car you're in. We spun out a couple of times, and were headed for this concrete barrier. Luckily they were doing construction and we sank in the muddy earth before we got there...

As a funny sidenote, we were underage, and had 4 cases (24's) of beer in the trunk. We knew the cops were coming, and we had a flat tire if you can imagine (which is in the trunk w/the beer)... So there were some orange construction barrels on the road, so we jumped out, stashed the beer under those, and dealt with the cops. He wasn't gonna leave until our tire was changed and we were on our way, so we had to drive down the highway a few miles, then loop around and go BACK to get the beer!!! We ended up getting a hotel room, drinking ALL the beer, and therefore, NOT making it down to OHIO STATE for the footbal game we were going to the next day.

Steve

While you (two) are the lucky ones, those of us who are near you are the fortunate ones: your continued presence in our lives is, indeed, a fortune measured not in dollars but in happiness.

Aloha,

Brad, Who Wrote For Hallmark In A Past Life

Very Kind Brad,you'll have to excuse me but I'm never good at replying to those type of things.All I can say is, Thank you.

But Esau, aren't your senses "semi-numb" most of the time anyway?? :P;):D

Only on three day runs my friend. ;)

Near death experiences, I've had a few.

I'm epileptic so a couple seizures were pretty scary (not for me, I'm not awake). One time when I was young I had one where my lungs and heart stopped and I shat myself. My dad thought for certain I was dead. Good thing we lived next to a firehall and the firemen revived me. (That is why I love firemen so damn much).

The other seizure happened a couple years ago as many of you were witness to. I fell to the pavement and put a nice big crack in my skull and fractured my jaw. Had that occured in the street or where I wasn't surrounded by friends, who knows what could have happened. If Bouche wasn't around to feed me through a straw I certainly wouldn't have been able to care for myself for a couple of weeks.

I was also in a pretty bad car accident. I was driving through a green light and some idiot thought he could turn in fromt of me. I ended up with sprained wrists and carpal tunnel, whiplash and a pretty sore back for over a year. Close one!

My very first skydive I jumped in slight rain and high winds. My lines were all twisted and a part of me I didn't know existed came out and somehow my body twisted and turned itself until they became untwisted. Would I have had it in me to cut away and use the reserve? How much time would I have given myself to rectify the lines? Would it have been enough? I think about these questions often.

Good question Velvet. It reminds us how fagile life can be. Make every moment of it and follow your bliss people.

July 1988, working as a bike courier in downtown Montreal. A Buick (I remember because the last thing I saw was the front grille) ran a red and clipped me going around 50 km/h, from my left side. My left leg took the full force of the impact, just above the ankle.

It's amazing what goes on, neurochemically, within milliseconds, when something like that happens. (If you don't pass out right away, that is.) It was like turning on an altered-consciousness switch: immediately upon impact, I was in this haze, dimly aware of my own voice screaming blue murder, while I rose into the air in super slow motion and was gently set down upon the near-molten asphalt (it was 32 degrees that day). Whereupon I realized I was still alive, lifted my left leg, and quite calmly noted that the tibia and fibula had been cleanly sectioned, because my foot was hanging off at a 90-degree angle. Then my brain decided that extreme pain should be accompanying that observations, and I passed out for a few seconds. I then called my dispatcher on my walkie-talkie and explained what had happened. I had no other injuries. Recovery took about six months, though, and 17 years later my left leg muscles have never really recovered from the wasting that went on while I was in the cast.

Weeks later, a taxi driver who had seen the whole thing explained that, while in my mind's eye I had been gently lifted up and deposited on the ground, I had in fact been flung, quite violently, about 3 m upward and 5 m forward after the impact.

To elaborate on my dengue fever experience:

Me and Jojo were fishing in Thailand. It was the second time we went with this guy (the brother of the person we were staying with), so I was familiar with the drill. Leave the island about 6pm and truck out to the fishing spot for a couple of hours. Get there, drop the nets, eat a little dinner, smoke a few bowls then sleep until about three in the morning when you pull up the nets.

Well, just as we were laying down on the wooden bottom of the boat to sleep I felt the most horrible physical feeling I've felt. The horrible feeling was exacerbated by intense back pain and searing pain behind my eyes. I quite frankly thought I was going to die. But what was I to do? Wake up Jojo and Lek and tell them I'm dying, pull up the nets early, truck two hours back to the island we lived on, another half-hour boat ride to another island, wait for some sort of vehicle to take me to town, get on the morning ferry to the mainland and find a hospital? Surely I'd be dead by then, so I just laid there and went over my life. When 3am came I somehow managed to help pull in the fish (including two sharks) and when we got back to the island I forsake the celebrations of our haul and went to bed.

Jojo got the same affliction the next day and we rode it out for six days each. I eventually found out that it was dengue fever, a mild form of malaria, and we had acquired it at the Full Moon party a week or two earlier. If dengue is mild I would not want to get malaria.

and then to work at Butchart Gardens)

hey cowboy do you know barnabas?? uncle barnes, heheh...

nothing too extremely dangerous for me.. once i started having anaphylactic shock from a yellowjacket but i doubt i woulda died. got the wind knocked out of me a few times and definitely felt like i was going to die... got (accidentally) booted in the head in grade 7 and was in the hospital for a few days... but yeah! nothing as harrowing as many of your tales. :)

So,fuck cancer....I won!

You call that winning? Look in a mirror.

It was winter. I was nine. Climbing snow banks next to the road, slipped on to the road infront of a bus. The bus came so close to running over me that the sleeve of my snow-suit was pinned to the ground.

And there's the chest pains.

When I was 16 I was held up at gunpoint in the Jamestown area of Etobicoke. One minute I'm going to get stuff out of the trunk, and the next thing you know two guys are on either side of me, one holding a big shiny piece. They put me into another car they were attempting to hotwire until they got my car going, which they later used in a bank robbery.

My car was found three days later with a few cigarette burns but otherwise intact.

I've also been in a collision that totalled my car and only left me with a few scratches. I've been hit by a car on my bike and thrown from it, completely mangling my bike but giving me not much more than road rash.

All in all I've been pretty lucky in these few instances.

on my first attempt climbing mount everest my team and I got caught in a massive snow storm up on camp 3 and lost radio contact for 8 days. My tent and supplies were blown away and my climbing partner and I were pretty much stuck.

Just when you think things couldn't get worse...on a trek to find our gear, I slipped down an ice cavern and my leg was pinned underneath a huge chunk of ice. It was dark, I was alone and my partner had no way to reach me.

I was down there for 6 days. I spent my time seeing how many times i could bounce a basketball in a single day...then i tried to beat that record.

I fell off a cliff once as the ground underneath my feet gave way. I plummetted about three stories into a shallow river. I knocked myself unconscious as I hit the riverbed, and luckily I lied in the water face-up, otherwise I probably would have drowned.

I was also hit by a car while walking across an intersection.

Both times I basically should have died, but I guess it wasn't in my design just yet.

what kind of topic is this ,ever almost died?

i think i died when i was born

Near death experiences, I've had a few.

I'm epileptic so a couple seizures were pretty scary (not for me, I'm not awake). One time when I was young I had one where my lungs and heart stopped and I shat myself. My dad thought for certain I was dead. Good thing we lived next to a firehall and the firemen revived me. (That is why I love firemen so damn much).

The other seizure happened a couple years ago as many of you were witness to. I fell to the pavement and put a nice big crack in my skull and fractured my jaw. Had that occured in the street or where I wasn't surrounded by friends, who knows what could have happened. If Bouche wasn't around to feed me through a straw I certainly wouldn't have been able to care for myself for a couple of weeks.

I was also in a pretty bad car accident. I was driving through a green light and some idiot thought he could turn in fromt of me. I ended up with sprained wrists and carpal tunnel, whiplash and a pretty sore back for over a year. Close one!

My very first skydive I jumped in slight rain and high winds. My lines were all twisted and a part of me I didn't know existed came out and somehow my body twisted and turned itself until they became untwisted. Would I have had it in me to cut away and use the reserve? How much time would I have given myself to rectify the lines? Would it have been enough? I think about these questions often.

Good question Velvet. It reminds us how fagile life can be. Make every moment of it and follow your bliss people.

fragile or fagile is not the word sharon, as when i was cooking supper and the 20 ton grader hit my house i did die and i am still dead, but wait till we get our call for court i will come alive pretty fast

oop,s hope no lawyers read this .not mine anyway

Near death experiences' date=' I've had a few.

[/quote']

fragile or fagile is not the word sharon, as when i was cooking supper and the 20 ton grader hit my house i did die and i am still dead, but wait till we get our call for court i will come alive pretty fast

oop,s hope no lawyers read this .not mine anyway

now i have another lawsuit

I was kayaking once and ended up having to take a big swim right above a huge rapid. What I didn't realise is that I couldn't get out of the water before the 12 foot waterfall. So I got dragged across the rocks and then thrown off a waterfall into a pile of granite. It hurt, I probably didn't almost die but it sucked alot. The doctor told me he would have sewn me back together but I didn't have enough skin to sew.

Another time my car locked on the 115 coming back from seeing weezer. in the middle of lots of traffic. We went from 120 kmh to 0 in about 10 feet, there were transport trucks and cars swerveing around us and stuff.. scared me quite a bit. turns out the transmission had locked up.

Edited by Guest

asides from a car accident where i knew i wasnt going to die casue, it was already over before i could really think, i only thought i was going to die once.

i was encircled by about 6 or seven wild dogs in Costa Rica, all drooling, all snarling, all barking, and the thought that ran through my head was "i am now going to die getting ripped apart by dogs". i slammed a piece of driftwood down as hard as i could. it broke, the dogs, they didnt move. i thank positive (no i'm not kidding as this seemed to be the "lesson" of the night) and cut through the dogs. they chased me for about twenty meters where sandy road kinda became rocky pebbly road, and they just wouldnt cross that barrier. dont know why, and thats the story of almost die.