Jambands.ca

FRIDAY OCt 7th @GYPSY CO-OP:BLUE QUARTER & CHAMELEON PROJECT

The Chameleon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owe it to the Blue Quarter guys to make sure it's a killer show... Last time they made it to Toronto was the day after a JSB/Stephen Franke/Caledonia show at the El Mocambo .. Late August. I was out doing my Evolve thing, so I had Shain Shapiro take over for me... the JSB show sold out.. but the aftermath show the next day at the El Mocambo for BQ was very dissapointing... Please show your colours Toronto.. We have to show the 'Quarter that Toronto isn't so bad after all...

Toronto does suck, I do my best to turn things around. We've got a great little music community here in the TDOT. Mind you we get so many shows, you can't quite see 'em all...

The 'jam' scene isn't growing as it should... maybe because the scene is so underground, and doesn't have much representation in the media.

Mind you The El Mocambo was written up in this issue of RELIX, highlighting the fact that it has become the venue that supports that music the most. Now the Gypsy Co-Op is also on board... the vibe is getting stronger.

Ha ha.. that was one wikked fun night Deeps.

The Gypsy Co-op had been undergoing some major renovations... new walls, new kitchen and bathrooms... The renos were supposed to be done by the time of The WTTS / Ultra Magnus show, unfortunately the boys showed up... while the staff was still cleaning up from the construction site... The room smelled faintly of wet paint, but that never stopped the FUNK!

Mind you the bands were good spirits and helped set up the room properly.. Thanks so much for being flexible.. it was a great night.. I know many people who were 'turned on' to the 'Thunder.. great set!!

you should see the room now.. beautiful!!

Toronto does suck, I do my best to turn things around. We've got a great little music community here in the TDOT. Mind you we get so many shows, you can't quite see 'em all...

The 'jam' scene isn't growing as it should... maybe because the scene is so underground, and doesn't have much representation in the media.

Mind you The El Mocambo was written up in this issue of RELIX, highlighting the fact that it has become the venue that supports that music the most. Now the Gypsy Co-Op is also on board... the vibe is getting stronger.

[color:red]I agree Jaydawg...but through your hard work and like minded bands working together we can turn this groove around. One show at a time!

Me and my wierd little electro-breakbeat-dub-jazz band will do our part! :)

Toronto does suck' date=' I do my best to turn things around. We've got a great little music community here in the TDOT. Mind you we get so many shows, you can't quite see 'em all...

Mind you The El Mocambo was written up in this issue of RELIX, highlighting the fact that it has become the venue that supports that music the most. Now the Gypsy Co-Op is also on board... the vibe is getting stronger. [/quote']

[color:red]I agree Jaydawg...but through your hard work and like minded bands working together we can turn this groove around. One show at a time!

not bashing the city is a great way to start too.

Toronto sucks? Hamilton is a great town, but don't hold your breath comparing it to TO. You guys have got the mobile home industry shored up though. The jam scene is fine, it just has something called competition from other music.

The Gypsy Co-op had been undergoing some major renovations... new walls, new kitchen and bathrooms...

Uhh, yeah...about those bathrooms; is there now a wall between the ladies and gents rooms? It was pretty hilarious to see some ladies trying to check themselves out in the "mirrors" to the side of the sink, only to find a guy looking back at them. LMAO!!!

Toronto does suck' date=' I do my best to turn things around. We've got a great little music community here in the TDOT. Mind you we get so many shows, you can't quite see 'em all...

Mind you The El Mocambo was written up in this issue of RELIX, highlighting the fact that it has become the venue that supports that music the most. Now the Gypsy Co-Op is also on board... the vibe is getting stronger. [/quote']

not bashing the city is a great way to start too.

Toronto sucks? Hamilton is a great town, but don't hold your breath comparing it to TO. You guys have got the mobile home industry shored up though. The jam scene is fine, it just has something called competition from other music.

yup, dont bash the city yer promoting in.

Toronto does suck, I do my best to turn things around

This is barely 'bashing' Toronto.

Don't get me wrong I love Toronto! I've lived here for most of my life. There are wonderful people and places in Toronto! But having travelled around the world and seen how other cities work, there are a lot things about Toronto that I dislike.

If you care to read the entire thread you will see that I was trying to difuse Tooly's remark...

blue quarter rocks, toronto sucks..... i say it could go either way

I really enjoy Blue Quarter... I've caught them several times on the East Coast, including two Evolves. I think they are doing something original and interesting.. to top that off they are a great bunch of talented guys. I know how hard it is to be a touring band and it takes a lot of courage to go out on the road and possibly not make any money. Toronto just hasn't shown these guys enough love.

My biggest peeve with Toronto is that they don't support unless it's big. I mean it took Broken Social Scene to 'make it' outside of Toronto before Toronto took them on as their own. I can see lots of struggling bands work hard to promote their own shows... without much success. The clubs in Toronto do very little to help these bands; actually they take advantage at every opportunity. (by making them play for free)

There's just too much competition and it's the indie scene that suffers the most. Look at a place like Hamilton, there just isn't the amount of bars or live venues, so supporting your local rock quartet can be more of a reality... Also the press in Hamilton is hungry to talk about new bands etc... In Toronto, you can barely get a hello from any media.

These problems are mostly because when you are in a big bad city like Toronto, you just can't be as friendly or trusting. Don't get me going about the pace that you have to live at to get ahead, pay rent, gas, insurance, food it's tough.

Can any of you imagine paying $350,000 for bungalow in Toronto? I don't think i can afford to live here.

Blue Quarter Rocks!!

Hear hear Jaydawg... keep spreading the Truth... and don't be afraid of the style junkies of denial (potential band name anyone?)... Grassroots in Toronto is about as uphill as you're going to get. I'll be on the next plane back from Winterpeg this afternoon to give you a hand. :) There's not much I'm missing about Toronto, but Jaydawg and his cause. Oh, and my cat. And the promise of a better world riding on the heals of increased gas prices... and Amato's Spinachi Pizza... and the Gypsy Crowd ;)

Peace,

~W

GMLC 1919-2005

Keep fighting the good fight boys.

It comes through and is appreciated by the musicians.

We've all got our battles.

I've got dillusions of rocking the shit out of the suburbs and letting them all know they're living a culture deprived life via a what the thunder clap to the mind. 2006 style.

I'm from Mississauga.

You wanna talk hard places to live?

Mall or Tim Horton's.

Not a lot of live music.

Deeps