Jambands.ca

SLOWCOASTER ANYONE

Mavericks

Hey baby, you are the one that is an acting CS-02 right now. You fuÇking well take me out bitch, unless you just wanna stay home and do it in the butt while watching Rescue Me.

you still owe me for last Tuesday.... you shit-fuck dick-smacker

Edited by Guest
I had to include the quote since it looked like I call Sloth a sh!t-fuÇk dick-smacker

ummm-- here I was figuring it'd be nice to party with the O-Town crew, and well, um, I'm a little afeared and a lot grossed out (though I am smirking).

funny, I'm not usually so easily grossed out! Maybe it's because I feel like I've walked in on Bradm & GM giving each other a rub & tug. I like to dish out the gross-out humour, just don't force me to watch!!!

Caught the very tail end of Burt tonight, just a blustery autumnal 'Have A Cigar', I guess Vesely and the Archers decided to go on first, I'm presuming less because they feared the reeper of going on after the Burt and more because they're Wonderyears asses wanted to be back in Little Italy by the witching hour. Sucks cause I would've left work sooner had I known they were closing. Which is to say that Burt, and Nero in there time, and a handful of others get a good chunk of attention and I have to say that a band like Slowcoaster slips through the cracks. I'm surprised at the dedicated live music junkies that invariably say 'who?' when I mention Cape Breton's finest. I'm embarassed that I missed countless opportunities to see them out east over the last eight or so years. At some point I took Craig Mercer and McDougall, brothers in arms, to heart and decided to really give them there due.

They demand it.

Shit if they are not the finest, most innovative ensemble in this genre/scene, they put a ring in my fire. I don't know what it is, the quasi indy rock singer songwriter stylings, the pulse, the nyabinghi drumming, the two vocalists on the kit, the trading up of and throwing around of vocal lines, the ambidextrosity. I repeat my self - the shit. I stand by the fact that them and Specially Ed and the Musically Challenged are two of the finest improvising groups in the contemporary (Canadian) rock or post-rock traditions.

I sincerely hope everyone catches them wherever they can and I am making a particular call to arms for the Guelph Van Gogh's show on Thursday.

Shit if they are not the finest, most innovative ensemble in this genre/scene, they put a ring in my fire. I don't know what it is, the quasi indy rock singer songwriter stylings, the pulse, the nyabinghi drumming, the two vocalists on the kit, the trading up of and throwing around of vocal lines, the ambidextrosity. I repeat my self - the shit. .

Damn Straight!

I'm going to try to make it for second set.

I'm going to give them yet another shot. I find it strange how every time I see them for the past few years - in guelph, in London, in Ottawa - they still leave me missing something.

I want to hear how the past few months has treated them. they've been touring and playing and have a video (which is cool but how often is it played on Much anyway??) and everybody seems to love them.

I just want to see everybody again. the show is secondary to me.

The video is actually in a half decent rotation for something of it's ilk. It's like a flash cartoon, the song Patio I'm not quite sold on, it's good animation though and works with the material. I doubt it gets played as often as say Jason Collett's Fire on Bravo and/or Much but it's gotten some exposure for sure.

They were great, as predicted, despite a not-entirely full room and the drive from Moncton that day (I've never seen a percussionist do an ear-splitting yawn while ripping it up on the congas - drove solid and sophisticated rhythm all night, and I'm guessing he might have been the one driving all day). These guys can play in an out of a totally grooving reggae and country two-step like few bands I've seen.

So good to have seen everyone last night. CJ is now sleeping off the dancing she probably shouldn't have been - but couldn't prevent herself from - doing.

And fuck is it ever cold. I'll know summer's over for sure when I can no longer take my shoes off to dance :P.