Jambands.ca

why do people hate phish? and hippies? and phish and hippies?

thatpatguy

A buddy of mine in San Fran just posted this entry to her journal:

The band last night, Benevento Russo Duo, was fucking GREAT until... THE GODDAMNED PHISH BASSIST CAME ONSTAGE TO PLAY WITH THEM AND THE HIPPIES WENT BALLISTIC. I FUCKING HATE PHISH AND I HATE HIPPIES AND I REALLY HATE THE COMBINATION OF PHISH BASSIST AND HIPPIES.

It made me sad :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people hate phish for the same reason you hate [insert music you instensely dislike here].

non-hippy people hate hippies (or more specifically, wooks) at shows because they twirl around knocking into people and they smell bad and stink up the place. mostly.

there's other typical maaaaaaaannn brah wook behaviour that tends to grate on people. but those are the big ones.

Edited by Guest

what I don't understand is how the presence of Mike made the Benevento Russo Duo so unbearable from an aural stand point (that's right.. I said "aural")

Ignoring the audience, if she was just listening to the show like on CD or something.. would Mike getting on stage really change how the band sounds to the point where someone would find it unlistenable?

It's not like he gets up on stage and all of sudden they sound exactly like Phish or anything..

[color:purple]Closemindedness rocks! :)

non-hippy people hate hippies (or more specifically, wooks) at shows because they twirl around knocking into people

in my opinion a majority of the concert going public (mainly white people) stand and sway rythmicly to the music..

where as the "hippies" get into the groove..

a buddy and i were talking about it at the pearl jam shows..

him and i were given'er throughout the show...

and some others were making comments like look at the hippies go, twirl it up fuckers..

personally i love the dancing.. to each their own..

sorry your friend felt that way about mike..

the hard core WEENers i find are the same way..

they hate the fact Phish played roses are free, and that the phish heads latched on to their band.

i say

TWIRL IT UP FUCKERS, TWIRL IT...

All these afformentioned snobs need to trip and chip a tooth.

Who gives a shit what you think? It's fucking ridiculous and counter productive to hang onto your scene witha death grip.

Tired of people worrying about shit like this and looking to book some shows where there is an eclectic group of bands playing so these scenesters can realize that the bands, WEEN and Phish alike don't give shit about genre and pull their inspiration from everywhere and accept all music into their hearts and ears....why wouldn't you?

Edited by Guest

what I don't understand is how the presence of Mike made the Benevento Russo Duo so unbearable from an aural stand point

I guess that's the difference between someone who goes to a show to hear it, and one who goes to a show to see it. Unfortunately for your friend, it sounds like she falls into the latter category.

Nice use of "aural", by the way. ;)

Usually in my experience people hate on the hippie scene becuase they don't get it.

They are on the outside looking in and feel they are missing something.

So instead of giving the scene a chance (to find out what they might be missing), invetigating it and devoting critical thought to the matter, they just hate on it. That way they can tell themselves they aren't missing anything and everybody else is just a silly hippie.

If you hate on something you never have to understand it or invest in it. Basically you get to revel in the ignorance of not knowing what you're missing.

Having said that I do hate these 4 things about the hippie/jam-band scene:

1.Flakey flighty people who can't handel drugs!

2.Spacey shit about moonstones, crystals and shakra's.

3.Faux love and constant hugging simply becuase it's the norm or expected. Reserve the love for the real. And be friendly to all!

4.Oh and not bathing or using deoderant (some are guilty of this). No excuse! Clean you filthy ass!

:crazy:

a co-worker who sits beside me at work always gives me shit for playing my "hippie jams"... she says the lack of an emphasis on songwriting and long loopy jams drive her insane. she says she "looses interest"... whereas my interest only gets peaked during the long loopy jams.

to each their own is right.. they might bitch violently about Phish, but damn it, i'll bitch violently about Nickelback right back at 'em.

to each their own is right.. they might bitch violently about Phish, but damn it, i'll bitch violently about Nickelback right back at 'em.

right on!

particularly the bit about nickelback :)

A buddy of mine in San Fran just posted this entry to her journal:
The band last night, Benevento Russo Duo, was fucking GREAT until... THE GODDAMNED PHISH BASSIST CAME ONSTAGE TO PLAY WITH THEM AND THE HIPPIES WENT BALLISTIC. I FUCKING HATE PHISH AND I HATE HIPPIES AND I REALLY HATE THE COMBINATION OF PHISH BASSIST AND HIPPIES.

It made me sad :(

re-reading this quote it made me think that your friend was freaked/pissed by the way the "hippies" reacted to mike.

you have to admit that jambands crowd reaction can be a bit baffling to non-jambands folk...cheering for no apparent reason in the middle of a song, dancing with total abandon, generally being wookish...

jerry said something about his music being like black licorice. people either love ar hate black licorice...maybe hippies are black licorice people, you either love 'em or you don't. not that that's a tad simplistic (~);)

Edited by Guest

i can see where ppl hate hippies, i look like one, and sometimes hippie like ppl drive me INSANE! so flaky, so into the catchphrases and this new band and that "sick" jam, ugh.

and the term hippy came from hypocrite, or so im told. and i can totally see it. how many hippies you know who still eat at mcdonalds and rock the walmart sales?

what I don't understand is how the presence of Mike made the Benevento Russo Duo so unbearable from an aural stand point

I guess that's the difference between someone who goes to a show to hear it' date=' and one who goes to a show to see it. Unfortunately for your friend, it sounds like she falls into the latter category.

Nice use of "aural", by the way. ;)[/quote']

My thoughts are that your friend likely hated the fact that the hippies got all loud when Mike came out for no reason other then it was Mike. In all liklihood you couldn't hear for a few minutes after that. Who knows if it made the show better, but I have definately seen shows where guests make it worse (e.g. any show where Franti comes out).

She was probably expressing the fact that the hippies raged because it was Mike not because of what Mike did and it probably wouldn't have mattered what Mike did - as they say, he could have pissed on his bass and they still would have thought it to be the highlight of the show.

(reminds me of the Phish show I saw in TN where Col. Bruce, or was it Bela, came out and sat on a chair in the middle of the stage reading the paper while fishman sang Wind Beneath My Wings)