Jambands.ca

Good-bye Bayou?

bradm

I just checked out what's coming up at (Ottawa venue) The Bayou, and there's this notice on the main page from the webmaster, Jim Roy:

Attention: As of 1st December 2005 this site will be off-line as the main working driver of the venue, Bruce Blair, sound guy & jack of mostly everything else in the place has been informed by his otherwise generally 'silent' partner that Bruce needs to remove all of his equipment and vacate the premises at month end.

Bruce's last working day will therefore be 30 November, 2005, the Wednesday Jammin' Open Stage.

Since my support of the venue has been contingent on Bruce's steadfast and neverending commitment to featuring live blues, jazz and other music to provide local musicians the opportunity to perform in a friendly environment, I will also end my participation in the venue, whatever it becomes!

If you wish to Thank Bruce for all he has contributed to the local live music scene since The Bayou began, drop in next Wednesday or sooner or call him after 6 pm 738-1709 any day until 30 November.

Jim Roy

I hope they still host live bands; for all its faults, I've had quite a bit of fun there, and to lose a venue for live music hurts a bit.

Aloha,

Brad

There's a story in the Ottawa Citizen today about the new ownership... Can someone with access to the story copy and paste it here?

Here's the teaser...

New managers take over at Bayou

Live-music club will book more non-local acts

The Ottawa music scene just got a little more bluesy -- and a little less local -- with a new management team taking over the Bayou, a Bank Street live-music stalwart, starting today.

AD

mmmm finger food

The Ottawa music scene just got a little more bluesy -- and a little less local -- with a new management team taking over the Bayou, a Bank Street live-music stalwart, starting today.

The new team, led by Ottawa bluesman Jed Rached, promises to bring in more acts from across Canada and the United States, and revamp the bar's interior to make it match the sign on the door.

"Bayou means Louisiana, but right now when you go in, you don't feel that connection," Rached said.

For the past five years, the Bayou has been well-known among Ottawa jazz and blues musicians for its open-stage nights and for a booking policy that welcomed both amateur and professional groups with open arms.

But it was less well-known among the general public. "We've been losing money steadily," said owner Bob Saikaley. "Not every month, but on a year-to-year basis for the past three years."

Saikaley recently ended his verbal partnership with Bruce Blair, who has taken care of the club's day-to-day operations, bookings, and -- his main interest -- the sound system.

"Bruce has run it on his own for the last three years, and I give him all the credit in the world," Saikaley said. "But it was this or walk away."

Rached and his three partners will take over all aspects of the bar's operation, and if they can make it work over the next year, they hope to buy it from Saikaley.

As frontman of Rocket Rached and the Fat City 8, longtime stage manager of Bluesfest, and -- until Tuesday -- sound man at rival blues club The Rainbow, Rached has contacts and experience that he hopes will help him reel in top acts for the Bayou.

Rached plans to maintain the eclectic mix of music heard at the bar. "Blues is what we know best, so we'll start with that," he said, but he also wants to showcase folk and francophone music, while continuing with some jazz.

Musicians who have played at the Bayou hope the new team will maintain the bar's reputation as a musician-friendly venue.

"It's been very important for the real music scene," said keyboardist Rob Frayne, a frequent Bayou performer who played there with two vocalists last week. "It's one of the few places in town where you can play a creative gig."

The stage has also given performance opportunities to rising stars like Nathan Cepelinski, the 17-year-old Ottawa sax phenomenon, who was heard with a jazz quintet two Saturdays ago.

"For musicians in Ottawa, it's not about the money," said Jim Roy, who runs the online Ottawa Blues, Jazz and Swing Guide. "They just want a place to play."

Roy has been running the Bayou's website as a volunteer, but will terminate his involvement with the management change.

Attracting new fans without alienating the club's current fan base will be a challenge, but Rached is optimistic that changes like a revamped kitchen offering finger food, along with an aggressive advertising campaign, will make it possible.

"This place has potential that hasn't been touched," he said.

The Bayou (1077 Bank St. at Sunnyside Ave., 738-1709) will resume live music next week.

Thanks for posting that Davey..

As for the Xpress article on Capital... I think that girl is bitter because she's either short, or forgets to buy tickets and can't get in with her Xpress press credentials. It's not the best venue in the world. BUt they bring bands to town that wouldn't come otherwise. Remember that Wilco-Sonic Youth-Modest Mouse triple header a couple summers ago? And her point about the Weakerthans conveniently forgets the fact that the Weakerthans / COnstantines tour played Capital as well as 2 nights at Barrymore's, on different legs of the tour. SHe seems to think that Barrymore's is much bigger than it actually is too.. It holds 400. Capital is 2.5 times bigger.

Sure the sound can really suck in there. But I'd rather hear Wilco and Gomez with bad sound than crickets chirping because no-one comes to town.

(Plus she doesn't seem to know that Capital is moving, the venue they operate now is closing)

ad

Guest Low Roller
Remember that Wilco-Sonic Youth-Modest Mouse triple header a couple summers ago?

Hell yeah!

In fact it was Wilco- GTB impromptu show at Dekcuf- Sonic Youth- Modest Mouse- GTB at Babylon...

said keyboardist Rob Frayne

hmm.. last time I checked Rob Frayne was a saxophonist..

though he has been known to play piano..

too bad about the bayou.. it'll be interesting to see what Jed does with it.. I hope it doesn't become another "blues mafia" joint where only a select few local insiders can get gigs.

AD, any advance word on when and where the Capital will be moving?

Yup, it's moving to Surface at 128 York St. Surface will still be an 'after-hours' club one night a week, and shows will be there whenever possible.

Capacity is 600 at the moment, they will be putting in more washrooms to increase capacity.

Shitty part (for bands and roadies): it's upstairs. Don't know if there's an elevator. I'm guessing one will be put in.

I will post more when I know more.

AD

1) I think the Bayou's new direction is potentially great news.

2) Too bad about the Capitol. Booking-wise, The Capitol is what Barrymore's used to be.

3) Rob Frayne can't play the sax anymore since he had a stroke last year. Very, very sad. Last time I talked to him he said he was looking to start playing bazouki.