Jambands.ca

Hot Sauce Deserves Its Own Thread

Patchoulia

The rooster sauce is fantastic--I love it!

But my favourite "all purpose" hot sauce is Cholula

hotsaucecatalog_1875_2559650

Cholula's unique flavor and aroma make it the perfect complement for everything from soup to salad and steak to seafood. Elegant wood top makes this a sauce you can put on any table at any meal.

I also enjoy Melinda's.

Check out this website--a myriad of hot sauce brands with a mini-review on each, including heat level, main pepper & miscellaneous info:

http://www.firegirl.com/hot-sauce.html

Some of the names of the hot sauces are hiiighlarious, including:

My Dad's Hot Sauce is Hotter Than Your Dad's Hot Sauce

Holy Shit! Habenero Hot Sauce

Brain Damage Hot Sauce

Spontaneous Combustion Hot Sauce

Ass in Hell Hot Sauce

Buttplug Relief Hot Sauce

Edited by Guest
Can't make picture go. :(

Agreed that this is threadworthy.

I'm not a fan of cholula because I find it gummy. There's a woman in Gatineau who makes her own sauces, can't remember her name but they serve them at Stone Faced Dolly's. They're very good.

For general breakfast saucing I'm a fan of the Chipotle tabasco.

The manx makes a tomatillo salsa that I would buy by the gallon if I could find it.

For straight heat I love the bajan-style hot sauces with mustard. So good in west indian curry and on roti.

Lastly there's some homemade hot sauce on the door that had these ingredients:finger chillies, chipotles, habaneros, tomatillos, papaya, avocadao, cilantro, sour oranges, tomatoes, carrot, onion, garlic and white vinegar. It's really good and has a little fruity taste to it.

Unrelated to hot sauce, I think it's funny that "Stone Faced Dolly's" is mentioned in this thread.

I just read an article about Jack Layton that said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Jack Layton is trying to dispel the Smilin' Jack image he was known for in the last election--he kicked off his campaign at the Ottawa eatery Stone Faced Dolly's"...

i'm a fan of the rasta fire hot sauce

a little fruity, very flavourful and spicy enough!

i was in cc's not too long ago and picked up a bag of some chips - don't remember the flavour, but they were deeee-lish! one of very few varieties of flavoured chips that are vegan, for those of you that might be that way...

here's a hot sauce tip:

buy a can of chipotles in adobo sauce

dump it in your food processor

blend til smooth-ish

pour into jar

yummm :o:)

I really feel like I've missed the boat in terms of a palate that can appreciate, let alone tolerate hot spice. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spices, I love savory flavours, but I just don't get the pleasure of a BURN that occludes all other flavours and tastes.

At our housewarming, at about oh 2 am, I get the inspiration to make Jalapeno Corn Bread. So here;s a whole whack of whacked out skanks in the kitchen....Ms. Hux is on jalapeno chopping duty. Thinking to make a double batch of the stuff, I ask her to chop 6 peppers. She, as a HOT LOVER (all pun intended, of course...but this from rumour only, not first-hand experience) chops up 8 peppers instead. We actually end up only making a single pan of cornbread, now with 5 more chopped up jalapenos than required. This stuff is so friggin' spicy, it makes me choke and I think the whole thing is destined for the compost...but no, it's wolfed down to compliments!

What the eff?

Was I built witout the requisite number of spice-loving chromosomes????

Dear wanker #1 (SP)

Dear wanker #2 (Basher)

Thanks for skipping our housewarming party because you had other more interesting friends to hang with. Please be advised that 'yummy, uber-jalapeno' corn bread will be held forthwith until such time as you present yourselves in person (not in abstentia) at previoulsy stated Osgoode address, fully vested with greenery and 'vitamins' and fully willing to forgoe any promsied level of comfort, and agree to sleep in a bunk bed, or alternately, a floor. Have your people contact my people.

Sincerely,

wanker #3 (CJ)

bland Cuba food crisis

:D

May you be pleasantly, and ideally, alarmingly surprised.

Only time I ever ran out of a restaurant in grief was in Thailand after daring a waiter to give me what I couldn't deal with (actually saw stars from spice - yes, it is possible).

Reminds me of an incident with absynthe in Portugal too, come to think of it.

I guess I shouldn't get too cocky, even if it is a Thursday night in Osgoode....