Jambands.ca

Mule kicked ass

TheGoodRev

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the negative statements about the Kool Haus. Definitely not the best venue I've been to. You've got to put alot more work into converted warehouse space to get nice sound... Where are the good venues in Toronto? I haven't gotten out much to check them out yet. (I do miss NYC...)

anyway... I thought the show was great. I like some of the new tunes, like the New Orleans one, and even About to Rage. She said She said is a personal favoite. It's been a while since I've seen a full Mule show. Things were definitely going full steam by the end.

As for GD content, I didn't say it at the time, but I swear I heard some The Other One teases.

Whats coming up next in the area? I'm thinking about going to the Sam Roberts, Matt Mays, et al Holiday Benefit something-or-other gig at The Phoenix, but haven't heard too much about it.

no good venue's in Toronto? Are you guyz on hippie smack?

Massey Hall is absolutely beautiful, and amazing sound.

Hummingbird Center is beautiful, with perfect sound.

Convocation Hall is another perfect venue with a beautiful layout.

What about harbour front center?

another fine venue.

should i continue?

They also played Jimi's "3rd Stone from the Sun" in the second set.

Really? I didn't catch that at all. It must have been a tease in one of the longer jams' date=' maybe Mule?[/quote']

It was during "Mule".

Just listening to my recording of the show. This is the first show I've ever recorded. I've got a new Sony minidisc recorder. Pretty good sound, but next time I will invest in a proper mike stand (as opposed to having the microphone sticking out of my pocket) and won't do any talking during the show.

no good venue's in Toronto? Are you guyz on hippie smack?

Massey Hall is absolutely beautiful, and amazing sound.

Hummingbird Center is beautiful, with perfect sound.

Convocation Hall is another perfect venue with a beautiful layout.

What about harbour front center?

another fine venue.

should i continue?

I don't think you're going to see a band like Gov't Mule play one of those venues, though. I think these guys are bitching about a lack of "informal" venues.

we saw the flecktones at Convocation Hall...

are they bigger than the Mule?

I wouldn't have thought so....but i digress.

also, Harbour Front center had Kevin Bright with the Toronto Tabla Beat Orchestra....

they couldn't be bigger than Gov't Mule, are they?

Either way, yes, for smaller venue's, toronto's are pretty dingy....certainly no Pepper Jack Cafe thats for sure!

lots and lots.

i used to see TONS of live music.

gotta be over a dozen.

opera house

horseshoe

elmo

comfort zone (gone i believe)

warehouse (now the cool haus i believe)

Phoenix Concert Theatre

Lee's Palace

ummm....

there's more, those are just off the top of my head.

then of course the jazz venue's....but i guess they dont belong on this list.

Top of the Seneter (which i believe is gone)

The Rivoli (both jazz and non jazz music)

Edited by Guest

not sure whether I'd include Lee's, Phoenix or Opera house as small venue, I guess I was thinking more like clubs. Top of the Sen is still there, I think their lease may be running out or something. Rivoli doesn't do too much jazz anymore, they'll rent out the space to whoever.

I only asked cause saying Toronto's small venues were dingy and compared to a single venue in Hamilton seemed a little off to me. Rather than just jump down your thraot, I thought I'd ask first. Anyway, TO has many excellent small clubs that are quite the opposite of dingy. Hugh's room, Orbit Room, Healey's off the top of my head are hardly dingy.

see, there's a great one i forgot....Healey's is great.

Remember, i wasn't the one who initially said TO's venue's were dingy...i personally love a night out in TO...but like any big city, they have nice venue's and dingier venue's....

Orbit room is great...but i've never seen a non-jazz band there....do they let jambands play there?

Edited by Guest

What is the definition of an informal venue and a formal venue?

If by reserved seats, whether they are put to use or not, the Gov't Mule performed at the Danforth Music Hall with Chris Robinson's New Earth Mud a couple of years ago, which I think is a nice concert/movie theatre.

I missed the Palais Royale gig but here are all the venues I believe the Gov't Mule have performed at in Toronto as headliners:

The Opera House (Multiple times)

The Comfort Zone (2000)

The Danforth Music Hall (2003)

Palais Royale (2004)

Kool Haus (2005)

Here are the venues that the Mule opened for somebody else:

The Molson Amphitheatre (1998 for the H.O.R.D.E.)

Kool Haus (Then the Warehouse 1998 for Big Sugar)

I agree with secondtube where I don't see why the Mule at one point couldn't play a headlining set at one of the more formal venues in Toronto. In 1996 the Black Crowes played at Massey Hall, so the possibility for the Mule is there, though the would have to become significantly more popular for Massey.

But as secondtube said U of T's Convocation Hall is a likely candidate for a Mule headline set one day.

Tim

Orbit room is great...but i've never seen a non-jazz band there....do they let jambands play there?

What would you call Sisters Euclid? I don't think I'd call them a jazz band. They're in a kind of blurry area between rock, blues, funk, and jam (with some strong jazz elements, maybe).

Aloha,

Brad

i'd have to say Sisters, in my mind, is closer to jazz than jamband....

but my mind is mostly a jazz mind...so its not surprising i'd put them there....

someone else, who has never heard the sweet sounds of a juicy jazz line might consider them a jamband....

who knows? i all know is they are fantastic!

Hey deranger,

Yes that was my first Black Crowes gig, sadly I hadn't seen them before that night at Massey Hall.

And though I have seen the Crowes many times since, that still might be my favorite of them all.

The Crowes playing the Flying Burrito Bros "Hot Burrito #2" was an introduction to a young suburbanite like myself to Gram Parsons beyond the Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo.'

Also their that the Crowes covered such an obscure Rolling Stones song in "Silver Train" also blew my mind.

Tim

It was my second, my first was the Maple Leaf Gardens show the year before on the Amorica tour. That show was fucking incredible with Ford and Robinson ripping it up. Dual slide solo for 30 minutes blew my freaking mind. And then, some 10 years later, I'm treated to another, shorter, dual slide solo between Ford and Robinson at their most recent Kool Haus gig. I love how history can come full circle like that. The Massey Hall really did kick ass didn't it? My girlfriend and I danced like maniacs in the eisle to the annoyance of the ushers.

It was my second, my first was the Maple Leaf Gardens show the year before on the Amorica tour. That show was fucking incredible with Ford and Robinson ripping it up. Dual slide solo for 30 minutes blew my freaking mind. And then, some 10 years later, I'm treated to another, shorter, dual slide solo between Ford and Robinson at their most recent Kool Haus gig. I love how history can come full circle like that. The Massey Hall really did kick ass didn't it? My girlfriend and I danced like maniacs in the eisle to the annoyance of the ushers.

Yes that was a pretty crazy crowd for the Crowes at Massey for Toronto, especially at a "formal venue."

Sadly I missed the Crowes gig at MLG back in 1995 as I was up in Ottawa at the time and I decided to come down for Page + Plant at the Skydome instead, and I stand by that decision.

Tim

we saw the flecktones at Convocation Hall...

are they bigger than the Mule?

I wouldn't have thought so....but i digress.

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of potential audience size but potential audience demographic. Gov't Mule would attract a different crowd - aside from all the jammy-folks - than Bela Fleck and the Flecktones would, and I think that crowd would rather be in a bit of an "easier to party" kind of venue like the Koolhaus than Convocation Hall, whereas to a larger number of people in the Flecktones crowd it wouldn't matter as much. I'm sure that promoters also take this into consideration (among lots of other important factors, of course) when they are booking a gig.