The End

Time To Confess

Mule >

I've Been Working >

Mule Reprise

Encore:

Silent Scream

I'm A Ram

First set - a little too much fist-pumping 97.7 Rock. I found opening with four - FOUR - from the newest record to be a little weak, though Livin Lovin Maid came out of nowhere and was a nice surprise. Mother Earth was great but a little too long for a straight blues. She Said was as usual, segued into a great Tomorrow Never Knows. Slow Happy Boys was a beer tune, and Drivin Rain is the example I always use for Mule tunes that I could never again hear in concert and not miss. So, a little weak overall.

Which is why the second set was all the more amazing. Don't really remember the first tune. The next one, Raining Pain Down in New Orleans, sounds like a new one about the hurricane. Or it could be a 70-year-old blues tune for all I know. Whatever it was, it was fuckin awesome, a slow creole-blues with a crazy trumpet(!) solo from Danny Louis in the middle. An extended, rocked-out Rocking Horse, and then a full I'm So Tired into a great drum solo into an EXTREMELY extended The End - of Abbey Road fame, indeed. An awesome Mule, then back with Silent Scream from the new record, and a positively MONSTROUS I'm a Ram. I love the tune and have heard its many incarnations, but had never seen the Mule do it, so that was cool. Anyway, great fucking show, second set was probably the best Mule set I've seen with my own two eyes; I've only seen a total of 9, but still. ROCK.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed...the first set was on the weak side...i too commented on the number of new songs off the get go...but i do like lola a lot.

living loving maid could have had more energy (like vegas') or perhaps the crowd needed it too.

2nd set: goodrev, nothing man is a pearl jam song i believe...and yeah rocking horse was really good

drums>the end was fucking sick!!! they were in a beatles mood for sure...(i was hoping they were gonna be in a g dead mood)

and to close out the show with i'm a ram and the nod to gordie johnson and big sugar was great.

other than that the roads sucked on the way home

I've seen both Mule and Big Sugar play I'm a Ram, and I find Big Sugar's version waaaaay better. Much tighter and more rockin'. The Rev. Green would be proud. And deaf.

AD

I would agree Big Sugar's I'm a ram is on point and tighter!

I like the mule and have seen my fare share of shows, but I really hate that ever since the "Drivin' Rain" with James Hetfield, the crowd is always filled with 97.7 cock rock listeners, spillin' beer and talking during songs they don't like. That really sucks.

But the band is good. :crazy:

Edited by Guest

athe nod to gordie johnson and big sugar was great.

what was the nod? just a 'we love big sugar' quote or something? or did some of the boys join the mule?

ad

warren said something to the effect that "the last time we played here (kool hous) we had a great Canadian band open for us...big sugar. we're gonna close out the night by doing one of their favourites..."

something like that couldnt hear every word.

i was waiting to see gordie pop out but didnt happen

That's cause he lives in Austin, TX now.

I'm a huge Big Sugar fan, and I think Mule's take on I'm a Ram could have bettered Big Sugar's if Matt Abts had played the tune straight. Instead he was alternating one straight bar and one sort-of bossa-nova bar, for lack of a better term. I don't know how to explain the rhythm he was doing, hopefully the show pops up soon so I can post it. Anyway, if Abts played it straight like Al Cross, they'd take the cake.

Edited by Guest
quotation clarification of the caucasion persuasion

Gordie is back and forth though pretty often from what I hear. He's been recording and producing people in and around Toronto a couple times in the past few months. Joel Plaskett for example.

I want Grady to tour again. I missed their last trip through Ottawa.

AD

athe nod to gordie johnson and big sugar was great.

what was the nod? just a 'we love big sugar' quote or something? or did some of the boys join the mule?

ad

warren said something to the effect that "the last time we played here (kool hous) we had a great Canadian band open for us...big sugar. we're gonna close out the night by doing one of their favourites..."

something like that couldnt hear every word.

When Gov't Mule played with Big Sugar when the Kool Haus was the Warehouse, Gov't Mule opened the gig, they did not close it.

It was on Friday November 6, 1998. And during the Big Sugar set Warren Haynes came out and did the BTO song "Let it Ride" and then the Mule came out for the encore with Big Sugar.

A great night, all those many years ago now.

Tim

the crowd is always filled with 97.7 cock rock listeners, spillin' beer and talking during songs they don't like. That really sucks.

I don't think that is as much the band's audience as it is the venue. Kool Haus is *always* like that, doesn't matter what band it is. I don't get it really... But a large part of the crowd is always milling about there, getting wasted, trying to sign along, yaking away to their friends. There's always at least one person nearby who tries to pass out on you and the other fans you are tightly packed in with.

I've probably been there a dozen times, and the experience is always the same, regardless of the band playing. Add in bad sound and poor sight lines and this equates to a very poor concert experience.

My Kool haus ban lives on...

Glad ya'll enjoyed the mule last night though.

Yeah! That awesome when they did that Pearl Jam tune. Surprised me, have they every done that song before? Or any Pearl Jam for that matter? I was also surprised with the amount of beatles songs they played, the version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" in the first set was amazing. They also played Jimi's "3rd Stone from the Sun" in the second set.

unfortunetly I only got there in time to catch half of tlg... but what I caught sounded great!

we met Josh(the lead quitar and vocals) and were doin shots and joking around since it was his first time in canada. I was shocked at how many of the older grey haired mule fans that were coming up and complimenting him how they played! good to see so many people of all ages and music tastes likeing this rising act!

he said they would try to come back and do a whole show of their own soon... :)