Jambands.ca

Musical Guilty Pleasures...

rubberdinghy

Ive always liked "Flight Tonight," by Nazareth. I think my all-time favourite guilty pleasure, though, has got to be "Wind him up," by SAGA. I just freakin love it! It comes on the radio when Im drivin (cuz thats what I do all day) and the spedomoter starts climbing, and climbing, and climbing 'till the next thing I know Im playing the song in front of thousands of people and they're all screaming and carrying on, and people are making out, and ...cripes, Im a bigger loser than I thought. But it sure was therapuetic to get that out. Thanks buddy!

I was channel surfing last night, and the comedy channel was running footage from a Just For Laughs show from some years ago, with Moxy Fruvous doing "King Of Spain", which is a song that grabbed me, bigtime, when I saw (the video for) it the first time, and which I still like. It got dismissed, I think, as almost a "novelty song", but it has some of the wittiest and most off-beat lyrics you're going to find in a pop song.

Aloha,

Brad

I actually like their version more than the original by New Order. (I'm not a fan or New Order's music very much at all, actually.)

Aloha,

Brad

After just listening for the first time in years, I stand by my decision, great fucking song! You can tell everyone I like it, I'm no longer embarrased!!!

Trevor likes Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente. So there!

Wow, I love every track mentioned so far (though I'm not familiar with Frente). Should I feel guilty?

I am really getting into Avril lately. I got the most recent studio cd and I think I'll pick up her first one too. That said, I have no interest in her new live double disc.

I don't know if I should guilty for this, but I'm liking Montreal band Throwback quite a bit. I was contacted early in 2005 by their manager, who went onto archive.org (the band is taper-friendly and is OK with uploads; go here for live shows; I especially recommend 2005-08-06) to find someone to tape them at a show in Toronto; I had taped a couple of shows there in 2004, so my name popped up. I said I couldn't do it, as I live in Ottawa, but the next time they played here, to give me a shout and I'd see what I could do.

The played here in August, and I wasn't expecting much, but had 'way more fun than I thought I would. They do (what I call) radio-friendly pop, but do it with good songwriting, great vocals (all the members sing, either lead or harmony; the drummer also does a human beat-box thing pretty well), and pretty good musicianship.

I think they're doing a show in Ottawa in Feb. with Vanderpark (and possibly Inglewood Jack; that's still TBD), and I hope people come out to see them.

Aloha,

Brad