Jambands.ca

giggle,giggle just doing my part

livingstoned

Help is out there to get us through the next few days in TORONTO....run and hide is my advice but if you must go about your buisness as usual here is some help offered by citypulse 24. How very great of them to dedicate a whole page on "how to cope" with the pending 20cm of snow - note: NOTE NOT 9 feet of snow - just 20cm between now and Saturday.

bwaaaahahahahah - from cable pulse 24 website:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20051215-004/page.asp

You may need lots of help to get through the next 24-48 hours. And fortunately, it’s available.

Here are a few links, phone numbers, and general bits of info and advice that may come in handy as you navigate the slick streets of the G.T.A.

Weather

This storm is a monster and it’s leaving its trail all over Southern Ontario. To see the current forecast and track the disturbance using continually updated radar, click here.

Eyes of Toronto

Heading out despite the snow? See what it’s going to be like on your route, using our Eyes of Toronto cameras. To pick your highway, click here.

C.A.A.

If you run into car trouble and are a C.A.A. member, help is a phone call or a mouse click away. But be ready to wait – response times are always longer when the weather gets bad.

Call (416) 222-5222 to reach an operator or click here to make your request over the web.

For advice on what to do if you're in an accident, where the collision reporting centres are or for some winter driving tips, click here.

School Bus Monitor

Check out our school bus monitor section to find out if transportation to and from schools is up and running or not.

T.T.C.

The T.T.C. doesn’t provide a specific webpage for updates, but you can expect any and all surface bus and streetcar routes to be slowed to a crawl.

Still, it’s better than you having to navigate in it.

Most of the subways shouldn’t be affected, but the Commission learned a lot from the “call-in-the-army†dumping of 1999, when part of the system was forced to close due to the amount of snow.

It’s added additional equipment to keep those subway routes that temporarily run outside and above ground up and moving.

GO Transit

Public transit is the best way to go, but the snow is expected to play havoc with the schedules. And GO Transit has had problems with delays and cancellations due to bad weather in the past.

Click here for service updates.

Pearson International Airport

Flights were already being delayed or cancelled before the storm even hit, mostly from areas where the snow had already started falling.

There are extra crews on to try and keep the runways clear, but expect big delays – if you can get out at all.

To check the status of your flight, call your airline, or click here.

Here’s a list of numbers to call for just some of the dozens of major airlines that fly out of Pearson.

Keep in mind the big flyers’ lines will be busy and unless you can use their automated service, you may have to wait a while to actually reach a human being.

Air Canada: 1-888-247-2262

Air France: 1-800-667-2747

Air India: 416-865-1033

Air Transat: 1-877-872-6728

Alitalia: 1-800-361-8336

American Airlines: 1-800-433-7300

British Airways: 1-888-334-3448

CanJet Airlines: 1-800-809-7777

Continental: 1-800-784-4444 or 1-800-231-0856

Delta: 1-800-221-1212

El Al: 1-800-361-6174

KLM: 905-612-0556

Lufthansa: 1-800-563-5954

Northwest: 1-800-441-1818

Qantas: 1-800-227-4500

United Airlines: 1-800-241-6522

U.S. Airways: 1-800-943-5436

WestJet: 1-800-538-5696

City of Toronto

The city is nothing if not well armed against Mother Nature’s winter attack.

Snow Ploughs: Toronto has 303 snow ploughs, although 400 more are available if needed. And they will be.

Sidewalk Ploughs: 300 are in service, but under the law, you’re supposed to clear your own sidewalk within 24 hours after a snowfall.

De-icers: There are 201 patrolling the city streets.

Staff: At least 1,600 people are preparing to tame the monster. Many of them will work long and difficult shifts, and it’s not unusual to see some toil for 24 hours straight until the weather-maker slows down.

When does the city plough?: Not soon enough for those heading out as the storm moves in. Here’s their schedule by the numbers:

2-5 centimetres: How much has to fall before the ploughs hit the expressways and highways. Hours to complete after it all stops: 2-3.

5 centimetres: There has to be at least that much on the ground before the big rigs hit the main streets. Hours to complete after it all stops: 12-14.

5-8 centimetres: The amount that has to have fallen before crews get to collector roads, bus routes, or local streets with hills. Hours to complete after it all stops: 14-16.

8 centimetres: Accumulation amount before some of the local streets are taken care of. Hours to complete after it all stops: 24-36.

15-20 hours: How long after the snow stops before ploughs may reach the side streets.

48 hours: It may happen sooner, but it could be several days after the fall that some sidewalks and bus or transit shelters will be ploughed.

1,500: The approximate number of kilometres the city has to plough every time one of these monsters hits. So be patient. They’re coming. They’ve just got a long way to go.

Snow Plough Info: To check where the city’s equipment is – and how close it may be to getting to you - call (416) 338-SNOW.

It’s in service as long as the ploughs are running. But officials ask if your street hasn’t been cleared, you wait at least 24 hours after the snow stops to let them know.

Emergency Snow Routes: When there’s this much white, the folks at City Hall can call a snow emergency. That means you can’t park in certain spots where you could normally leave your car, in order to let ploughs do their work.

If you do, they’ll tow you away and fine you.

Click here for a map of Toronto’s emergency snow routes.

(Note: .pdf file requires Adobe Acrobat)

Click here for a map of the downtown core’s snow routes.

(Note: .pdf file requires Adobe Acrobat)

Sidewalk Clearing

Under a Toronto bylaw, you’re expected to clear your sidewalk within 12 hours of a snowfall or the city will do it for you – and charge you $105 for the privilege.

But seniors and the disabled can get the city do it for free by calling one of the following numbers:

Toronto, East York and York: 416-392-7768

North York: 416-395-6205

Etobicoke: 416-394-8352

Scarborough: 416-396-7372 or -7373.

Those numbers are only open during regular hours Monday-Friday, and you have to apply for the service first.

So what happens if the storm lingers into the weekend and you can't get out? Call the emergency number as a last resort: 338-9999.

That's the City of Toronto's Works Department, and while you may have to wait on hold, someone is always there.

Remember, this service is for sidewalks only. Getting your driveway cleaned off is still up to you.

Snow Shovelling Advice

To find out how not to break your back while moving all that snow, click here.

The Homeless

The homeless are especially vulnerable in these kinds of conditions. If you see someone in distress, call the Street Help line at 416-392-3777 or 1-866-392-3777, or for the Out of the Cold Program, click here.

December 15, 2005

Edited by Guest

For the love of Pete. Does anyone else remember a few years ago (1999, I believe), when the GTA called in the Army because it snowed? Regardless of how much snow was involved, the rest of us found that pretty entertaining.

hehehe I do remember - I was in NS for Christmas and heard about the army - state of emergency - I arrived back expecting to be in awe of the snow there was enough luggage abandoned at pearson to clothe the entire province laying around from back logs of plane delay...got a cab home and ventured out the next day - the snow at the curb wasn't even up to my knee...though I do understand that it was a bit more snow than usual and the city was not equipped to remove it in a timely fashion hense people (elderly) were snowed in somewhat but still its funny to say TO called in the army for such a small amount of snow.

Wasn't there some craziness at Pearson Int'l Airport in that 1999 snowstorm, as well? ISTR Air Canada having a lot of its planes elsewhere (Calgary?), so there were people stuck at Pearson for days.

As to the army, weren't they brought in mainly to clear the snow from public transit facilities (train tracks)?

Aloha,

Brad

Wasn't there some craziness at Pearson Int'l Airport in that 1999 snowstorm, as well? ISTR Air Canada having a lot of its planes elsewhere (Calgary?), so there were people stuck at Pearson for days.

As to the army, weren't they brought in mainly to clear the snow from public transit facilities (train tracks)?

Aloha,

Brad

yes and yes...I arrived in after the mess at pearson but as mentioned the luggage pick up area was filled with luggage off the belt in lines - unattended might I add I coulda grabbed any fancy looking luggage and made off with it....they were overwhelmed with it...rows upon rows of peoples stuff lined up...

and the army being brought in was such a joke but from what I remember there weren't enough plows and man power to remove it all so they called for help because elderly couldn't get out and emergency vechicles couldn't get down side streets...

I guess it was funny for me because I expected to see way more snow considering it was declared "a state of emergency" Growing up in NS with snow storm producing snow deeper than I am tall. funny - remember the ice storm way back when in Quebec, well NS got it just as bad and my street was snowed in for days...snow up to my waste on the street...my mom decided to call the town and give them a piece of her mind...conversations went like this.

MOM (in agravated voice) - I'm going to call the town and give them a piece of my mind this is ridiculous, I saw the plow on the next street over yesterday why haven't they done our street yet its been 3 days - we have no heat and can't even go out anywhere to somewhere that has heat.

Me: yes good idea (giggle)

MOM (to the municipal office in an inquisitive but not threatening voice): Yes hello...I'd like to know why we are not plowed out yet, xx street, the plow has been all over the neighborhood but not here yet and... (trails off - cut off by perosn on other end)

can't hear what is said on other end of phone at this point.

MOM: oh, yes, ok , of course - thank you. (in a nice sweet voice)

ME: WOW you really told them MOM.

hehehe so funny....my mother can't be mean to anyone...she tries but just can't.

Edited by Guest

From cfra.com...just shows you how worried and tough us Ottawans are...

Heavy Snow Back On for Ottawa

by Ted Yeomans

Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:10 AM

This storm system Environment Canada is tracking across southern Ontario is re-intensifying and Ottawa is now under a heavy snowfall warning.

Environment Canada says the national capital region could see up to 25 centimetres of snow.

The snow will likely taper off in the early part of Friday evening.

CFRA will continue to track this system and update any changes.

sounds like fun! We're supposed to get a bunch here too, but I doubt it'll disrupt much. Montreal's got a pretty solid snow fleet (largest in the world I think), so streets tend to get cleared quickly.

I remember the '99 storm because I was flying out to South Korea when it happened. My buddy's place in the annex was totally buried.