Jambands.ca

Jaydawg back from Costa Rica

Jay Funk Dawg

I'm back.. check out the new photos at the end of the thread.

costa-rica-lodging-luxury-pictures-02.jpg

Heading to Costa Rica very soon, anyone have any travel tips?

I'm headed down to visit my brother who has been living there for 4 months. He says it's paridise. Him and his girlfriend have been living in a house overlooking the beach. The surfing is supposed to be great and it's been a childhood dream to surf and play music with my brother down south.

pumped i am!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Costa Rica thispast November, you'll have a wicked time!! Check out Dominical, Samara, Arenal (has Costies largest volcano), Santa Elena has the best rainforestes, you can do a canopy tour there which is quite fun. Uveta that's south of Dominical (really quiet huge beach with no one on it). Puerto Veijo it's on Carribean side right on the Panama border, if your down there I recommend going to Bocas Del Toro Panama, it;s beautiful there and up the highway from Puerto Veijo is a town called Cahiuta, nobobies there either, nice huge beaches. I'll see if I can dig up anymore info from my girlfriend...HAVE A BLAST!!!

ms.hux and I would love to find out more about Costa Rica from friends that have gone there. Please keep us informed!

We are just sipping on a Cuban inspired rum punch at the moment, after reminiscing of Cuba. I finally found out that I can get Havana Club white rum at the LCBO in the market. Unfortunately, it's about 20 bucks more expensive than the Cuban price of 3.85.

watch the prices, it's geared towards Americans but you can still travel cheap, I'd reccomend to go to Nicaragua it's cheap and just a beautiful as Costa Rica, when we were down there we spent a lot of time in Guatemala which was really cheap and easy to get around. Return bus tickets on the Tica Bus (like the Greyhound, but nicer, Spanish movies, they feed you and it air conditoned)from San Jose to Guatemala City $100 US, it's a little long, but you get to see a lot of Central America.

you are going to a nice spot :) i'm sure you'll find plenty of awesome stuff down there. nosara, samara,carrillo, also very nice :)

if you do go check out arenal, there are some hot springs (tabacon is the name i think) near there...really cool to soak in all these volcanic pools looking up at the volcano.

monteverde is also nice but a bitch of a ride to get to...so if you go, stay awhile.

i don't know how long you're staying, but if you do get off the nicoya, my top recommendations would be the osa peninsula (including corcovado natl park) and playa zancudo, which are both on the pacific side near panama. for sure!

have a great trip! you are gonna freakin LOVE IT!!!!

Edited by Guest

a friend of mine's folks just bought a house down there, so obviously I'm hopin to go down and check it someday... they call it the most diverse ecosystem on the planet (deserts to rainforests to mountains to plains to oceanfront to temperate forest)

awesome dude, lookin forward to hearing bout your journey... try and post an update while you're in the thick of it if you think of it

ooo guanacaste! i think that's where the cloud forest is... either there or monteverde, can't recall...

i stayed in quepos and went to school in manuel antonio - manuel antonio has a fantastic beach and national park. we saw lots of monkeys and 2 sloths in the park. i miss it!

as far as travel advice, just use common sense. lots of petty thieves in any of the touristy spots. especially be careful in san jose and the coca cola district [yes it's really called that].

i'm very jealous - and you'll definitely need to know this expression - PURA VIDA! :)

So I made it down here in one piece with my girl Vita, and after a crazy day of travelling... car ride, plane, cab, bus, ferry, bus, cab, we arrived in Santa Theresa and met up with my brother and his girlfriend Veronik. After the long ride we headed out to find some food, but at 11pm there wasn´t really anything open except for a new moon party.. so we checked that out...

WOW! It was a crazy rave with about 200 travellers from all over dancing to a DJ who was playing techno and deep house. That was cool, we were just off beach and next thing you know there´s a live Digeredoo player and percussionists playing and people gathering around some performance artists who are doing firedancing, poi and Capeira (martial arts dance)... two girls twirling fire were standing on two mens shoulders who were also twirling fire... it was a crazy spectacle! It was like a tribal circle de soliel.

This all lasted for a couple of hours and a couple of IMPERIALS (the native beer). Exhausted we headed out to my brothers cabin.

Vita and I have been camping for the past two nights in some shady area by a jungle and we´ve been getting up really early, its so sunny here we´ve been up at 7 each morning. Today we´re going surfing and working on our tans. The beach is great, monkeys are everywhere.. they make some hideous screams... I can´t believe that i´m here for another 12 days!

For now everything is just great, we´re in this comfortable little surf town and everyone is friendly. We did have a couple of things stolen, my CDs and my brothers MP3 player... we´re living in this very isolated area on the mountain with a great view of the long beach, but we´re finding out that you can never trust that you stuff is safe...

i´ll be back at the computer in a couple of days.. but this place is amaizing and I hope to post some of the pictures of this place soon.

love,

j