Jambands.ca

Beware the Ides of March!!!

Velvet

This morning at 6am I had to drive myself to the hospital and endure what the medics call a "kidney stone."

Holy moley did it hurt.

My grandmother said that kidney stones hurt more than giving birth. I guess I'll have to wait and see about that.

Beware all.

-The stone still resides within my confines.

-I am no longer in pain (though I'm awful tired - I went straight from the hospital bed to teach rock school, five minutes late).

-They gave me no painkillers (the pain was gone by the time the doctor saw me four hours after arrival), though I got a prescription.

-Street value unknown, all serious offers considered.

-no stitches.

-the stones pass through the urinary tract. I spoke to my dad and he said that part hurts bad too. I'm not looking forward to it.

-all the medical staff that attended to me looked like they were straight out of high school.

Here's a laugh: It's been a while since I was at the hospital, so I drove myself to the Riverside. I was wandering around looking for help until I could do nothing but scream for a doctor in the empty hallway. A janitor informed me that it wasn't a hospital anymore.

Average wait time at the General Emergency (as posted): 8 hours

My wait time (I was told I'd be rushed in): 4 hours (mine was the first name they called)

Cost of parking at the General for four hours: $13

that happened to me to. I had a slight pain before bed one night a couple years ago. When I woke up it was excrutiating. I called 911 on myself 'cause I thought I was going to die. I was convulsing it hurt so bad and they shot me up with penicilin three times that day at the hospital and told me to stop convulsing 'cause I was scaring the other patients (like it was my fault).

My mom had one and she also said it hurts more than giving birth.

I think it's kinda different though. The pain is not from the stone coming out but from it travelling from the kidney to the bladder (at least mine was). Once it hits the bladder it's not too bad. After that you just pee it out. If it's too big, they do an ultrasound type thing but with really powerful music to break the stone into pieces that can be passed. Mine just barely passed the passable size.

One good thing about it was that I got tonnes of percocets (Edit: I think I spelled it right this time) and was in a daze for about two weeks. They also came in handy for a long plane trip right after.

If your pain is already gone then you shouldn't have much more problems and might not even notice it come out. Depends on the size and how sharp/smooth it is. Mine was really sharp and big, hence the pain. I was also in pain for almost two weeks. It stopped about 3 days before the little stone came out.

This might sound gross but if you do notice it passing, try to rescue it from the toilet. A doctor can tell quite a bit from it (why you got it, will it happen again, etc).

Edited by Guest

One good thing about it was that I got tonnes of perkasets and was in a daze for about two weeks. They also came in handy for a long plane trip right after.

I just checked my prescription and it's for percocet. What can you folks tell me about percocet?

I just checked my prescription and it's for percocet. What can you folks tell me about percocet?

Well, the bottle I had said that alcohol will augment the effects but didn't say not to drink. They work REALLY well for getting rid of extreme hangovers. They don't make you tired but you get a great daze out of them. Take one and smoke a little of the green styled tobacco and then just watch tv, it's really relaxing.

PS: They can make you constipated so don't take too many too often unless you actually are in pain.

This morning at 6am I had to drive myself to the hospital and endure what the medics call a "kidney stone."

Holy moley did it hurt.

My grandmother said that kidney stones hurt more than giving birth. I guess I'll have to wait and see about that.

Beware all.

that was one of my greatest fears in life.. but after reading this thread, I think it is THE biggest fear in my life.

I thought though that they gave you some sort of meds these days to dissolve them. What the hell? This is 2006

Feel better Velvet. I encourage you to do some reading on kidney stones. They are often caused by diet, so when this one passes you can modify some things to ensure you don't get a reoccurance.

The only time I have ever seen my Daddy cry is when he had kidney stones. It broke my heart.

The key is water, that's what the pee doctor told me (I had to see a urinasomethingorother dr). he said make sure to drink tonnes of water and not to consume too much alcohol and I shouldn't get another one. I think for me it's that I always smoked too much greens which dehydrates me but I never got my proper intake of daily water (8 frickin litres I read somewhere, and that doesn't count fruit juices, coffee, or other water mixes).

and also, I feel for you, full out empathy here. I didn't say that earlier but I meant to.