Jambands.ca

QotD: 2003.07.07

bradm

You've been tasked with putting together a mixed CD of tunes, to be played to and for Emily, Phred's newborn (and all-too-cute) daughter. Not just for sleeping, but for background music, too. What tunes do you select? Note that Phred and Allison would also be present during the playing, so let that also influence your selection.

My choices would include:

• (It's Not Easy) Bein' Green
  • Linus & Lucy
  • Jenny Jenkins (as done by Garcia & Grisman)

What would yours be?

Aloha,

Brad

The day my first nephew was born I gave him a copy of the Dead's Blues for Allah and begged my brother and his wife to play it for him. I checked the last time I was home and it's still in the house. They own about six cd's total.

The next time I saw my brother he said he tried to understand it but it was way too weird.

I've always loved "Rainbow Connection" by Kermit the Frog. And going with the Muppet theme, "Manamana" is another of my favourites!

There is a song called "Apron Strings" by Everything but the Girl that is an absolutely beautiful song about motherhood. I'd put that in for sure.

There's an album called the Magical World of Disney with a song from the Jungle book called "the Bare Neccesities" which all kids love. After that I'd put on somthing a bit heavier, like NIB maybe. Cause we don't want the kid to get too comfortable. He's going to have to be ready to fight at an early age in the Revoltion.

Grisman/Garcia does Teddy Bear's picnic as well. Just beautiful.

I'd throw as much Beatles on it as possible. Every generation finds something in them. Truly timeless. I think the Beatles should be mandatory listening in school.

Some sweet Grateful Dead as well, like Broken Down Palace or Ripple. Jerry touches souls and brings peaceful feelings. Jenny Jenkins is a good call.

Classical music inspires thought and brain function in babies as well. Got to encourage that.

Hey Brad, that's really nice!

Just about anything off Rheostatics "The Story of Harmelodia" would work. There are some tracks at http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=5314 - I think my personal fave is Monkeybird.

The Brothers Creeggan version of Inchworm off "Trunks" is quite nice.

There's also lots of They Might Be Giants that would be very kid-friendly - Birdhouse In Your Soul jumps to mind, there are tonnes of others.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Ms.Huxtable:

Grisman/Garcia does Teddy Bear's picnic as well. Just beautiful.

Actually the whole "not for Kids only" album is particularly well-suited for kids (as the title suggets). I would also say Shady Grove is pretty perfect for loungin with the newborns.

Damnit, is there any situation where GG is not ideal?

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

There's also lots of They Might Be Giants that would be very kid-friendly -
Birdhouse In Your Soul
jumps to mind, there are tonnes of others.

But aren't TMBG Satanists? JJ - but the song Stranger is great for all ages, so is Triangle Man (very fun for dancing) and the Apollo 18 album has this weird ending called fingertips which is like 30 something short clips, very amusing.. Don't forget Cowtown and Ana Ng. All albums till John Henry really are great.

i would also suggest the nutcracker suite by tchaikovsky, a very bueatiful peice of music.

maybe some soft sounds of wes montgomory of coltrane.

but don't be afraid to bust out some kick ass rock n' roll aka zepp, ten years after or even cactus. don't want it all to be candy and lace

i'd let the kis rock out to some garcia grisman too,, that stuff always puts me to sleep,, then i'd play some metalica to wake the kid up and make him cry,, then i'd put some garcia back on so the kid would learn to appreacieate good music

well since I work for Nettwerk I'll say The be good tanyas "the littlest birds"

and I second the "not for kids" cd

I'll say "Gotta Jaboo" -Phish cause kids will like the word jaboo

anything Simon and Garfunkel...."feeling Groovy" usually gets a giggle

as a kid I use to love spinning in cicles to "Jessica" by the allmans

and Beatles "Drive my Car" just cause of the "beep, beep. beep. beep yeah!"

oh and you can't go wrong with anything muppets!

Archived