Jambands.ca

VINCE WELNICK RIP June 2 2006

StoneMtn

I was always kind of a fence-sitter with Vince...i loved some of the covers he brought into the band (rain, tomorrow never knows, baba o'reilly, all too much, etc...) and his originals kind of grew on you. i wasn't sure about samba or long long long long long long way to go home, but as the band grew in to them, they became solid tunes. and in hindsight, "all too much" was pretty prescient :(

i was disappointed to learn that he basically became keyboardist non grata after his suicide attempt on the HotDog tourbus...it amazed me that he continued to play continuously with DSO and other Dead cover bands, obviously the guy just wanted to make music. everyone that ever spoke to him seemed to come away feeling that the guy was the real deal, a genuinely nice person...

hopefully he woke up this morning in the Great Beyond and had a wake and bake with Jerry :)

RIP Vince...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a keyboard player, and getting into the Grateful Dead in the early 90's, Vince was the guy I read about in Keyboard magazine. I later spread out and discovered all the other keyboard players the dead had. I remember reading an interview with him saying, "When I got the call, they said Bruce was already in the band playing piano, and they needed a synth guy. That was me."

His choice of keyboard tones was questionable, but his style is still burned in my head from those first few tapes I got. It's a shame the curse of the dead's keyboardists... some good players gone to soon.

RIP Vince.

I was listening to Eddie from Ohio doing the US National Anthem the other day and I couldn't get Vince, bobby and Jerry out of my head with this version. If I'm correct, Vince put this together and got Jerry and Bob singing this great.

I for one always loved Vince, never bashed him and coul'n understand why people didin't like his playing or tunes sometimes.

i think he was an amazing player, great vocaslist and has wikkid tunes. He really was the the juice that gave the Grateful Dead thier last 5 years. He was always part of the family for me.

If you go and look back at old newsclips from when Brent Midland took over for Kieth Godchaux, many of the same citicisms came up. The said : wea=k tunes, bad voice, not the best player. That all obviously bullshit!

I think the Grateful Dead is jst so important to us that people are very quick to judge and fear change.

Vince Welnick was always allright by me!

too bad... guess he couldn't get his mind off takin the shortcut... can't say I knew him very well... saw him play several times and agree, he sometimes had some truly peculiar choices in keyboard sounds... seemed to me sometimes like he wanted to rub against the grain instead of with it

hope he found peace from whatever kept making him focus on getting out... grateful at last

Edited by Guest
R.I.P. Vince Welnick

saw him play several times and agree, he sometimes had some truly peculiar choices in keyboard sounds... seemed to me sometimes like he wanted to rub against the grain instead of with it

I think Bob Bralove was more to blame for the tones of Vince's keyboards than Vince was.

Let's not forget Vince was the only member of the dead to appear on SCTV.(with the Tubes)

I love that you know that.

Well, for me, Vince Welnick was a true member of the Grateful Dead and for that, I think he was kind of special. So, thanks Vince for the great memories I have of seeing you perform with my favorite band, you did your best under extremely strange circumstances. It's all too much, indeed.

Let's not forget Vince was the only member of the dead to appear on SCTV.(with the Tubes)

I love that you know that.

Well' date=' for me, Vince Welnick was a true member of the Grateful Dead and for that, I think he was kind of special. So, thanks Vince for the great memories I have of seeing you perform with my favorite band, you did your best under extremely strange circumstances. It's all too much, indeed.[/quote']

i loved that episode..."tonight, the Fishin' Musician welcomes The Tubes!" watching them walking arounf the fishing lodge in spiffy black suits was hilarious :)

i'm in the middle of another torrent at the moment, but i think next i'm going to jump on the torrent link that bouche posted - Vince Welnick and the Missing Man Formation.

...and i just watched the anthem video again too to see what the fuss was about. holey cow could that vince guy sing harmony...the three of them had a really nice blend. sort of surreal to see jump cuts from jerry to soldiers and pyrotechnics that look like explosions...

Edited by Guest

Just watched it yet again, and noticed the huge smiles on the players' faces as the song closed in at the end with all those rich cadences.

Yeah, pity about all the references in the anthem to stuff blowing up; I've always wondered about that and what it does for the national psyche. Even in Canada I guess we're supposed to be standing on guard (though in my mind's eye I can at least see Stephen Wright as the mountie in Canadian Bacon. Personally, I'd vote for changing our anthem to that Arrogant Worms tune - "We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks... and waterrrrrrrrr."

Also had to smile at the guy at the end saying, in response to the question of how they'd managed to get the Dead to do this, simply, "We asked them." :)

that was one of the musical highlights of my early life... put The Tubes onto my "A" list for many a year... they were heroes to me

once again... rest in peace Vince

to loosely paraphrase what I heard about it:

Vince was having a rough time, believe he was upset regarding a marraige breakup... decided to cash in his chips by taking too many pills on the Ratdog tour bus (or just as likely letting out a poorly executed cry for seriously needed outside attention to his state of mind)

needless to say, was considered poor etiquite for someone living as an invited guest on a friend/working partner's tour bus... if you want to talk, talk... if you're going to make a mess of yourself, go rent a room or something

very sad he never managed to work out his demons, depression can get to be a terrible thing

Edited by Guest
edit

needless to say, was considered poor etiquite for someone living as an invited guest on a friend/working partner's tour bus... if you want to talk, talk... if you're going to make a mess of yourself, go rent a room or something

I had a friend once have a suicidal moment in my bathroom while we had company. After the fact, I was angry because I thought it was poor etiquette. However, I honestly believe now that when one is in 'that state' they can't think of/understand the positions they are putting other people in....that they just can't think beyond that darkness they are experiencing.

R.I.P V.W.