Jambands.ca

I hope I never hear "D'yer Maker" again!

MarcO

Great band, terrible song. Why oh why must Q107 play this song 3000 times a week?!?

Led Zeppelin, don't get me wrong, I know all about them and dig them, but FM radio has really made them a bit of a burden to listen to for me.

That is all, thank you!

I wonder how much of the music Q107 (and other big stations) is actually sourced from a computer...because if that computer were, say, accessible from the Internet, an intrepid hacker could reprogram things a wee bit...rename a file here and there, change some MP3 tags, make a few judicious substitutions in a playlist or two*...

Aloha,

Brad

* Like, say, "The Crunge" in place of "D'yer Maker".

hey, I take the good with the bad when it comes to FM rock radio. I can deal with an afternon of the Mighty Q - everyday I do anyway. It's our agreed upon choice for music at work.

But that song. Why?

for the record, I find Kim Mitchell as a DJ to be both enthusiastic and entertaining. He's come a long way since he started.

speaking of commercials...i saw a great one during the hockey game...canadian tire - some guy is standing at a leaking sink and yells for his wife to get him a socket wrench...i was drunk, this commercial may not be funny at all...

"it has a 'one', 'seven', and two M's!!

Edited by Guest

Not all radio is terrible, the CBC kicks ass. I get to hear a lot of weird stuff I normally never would have found on my own, it's news is interesting and more relevant to Canadians (it is public broadcasting), the music is incredibly varied and the only commercials you hear are for other CBC programs. CBC interviews are the most intelligent I've ever heard, I find that the questions really help to reveal the subject objectively. Repeats are very infrequent and the programs change drastically from one time slot to another, it's impossible to get bored of the CBC. I love that my taxes support it, even when views contrary to my own are being extrapolated, it's great to hear a solid cross section of the mentality of a population.

Bokonon+CBC=Heady Love

When I lived in Oshawa, I listened the Edge a lot and sometimes Q, but the commercial islands were just brutally long, and I worked in commercial radio for a few years.

But yeah, music, 95% of the time, is programmed a day or two in advance by software with a tonne of different parameters, which is then re-analyzed for fuck-ups by a music director.

And yeah, always hearing that song pisses me off. Even most of Zeppelin hated it.

I remember my first time making a road trip to Toronto (10 years ago) and being full on BLOWN AWAY that Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were on the radio (PEI had 2 AM pop rock stations and 1 FM country station when I grew up-its a grass roots miracle that we somehow got into Phish in '96 ;) ). After spending a few years in Toronto doing a great deal of driving, I can honestly say that the lustre had been rubbed off of Q107, they really do repeat more songs then they have to. D'yer Maker never rubbed me the wrong way though; Houses of the Holy was always Zeppelin's most "summer" album in my opinion, and that song fit in fine.

The songs that Q107 played that threw me into a blind rage(I would screw up my face and snarl as I wrenched on the tuner dial) were "Born to be Wild" and "American Woman". I honestly don't need to hear those songs again.....EVER.

Rob Not Bob: I think they do pronounce it correctly, I think it was Jeff Brown's afternoon program that explained to me what "D'yer Maker" meant.....(edit: now I have started second guessing myself....its "did you make her" slanged down to "jer maker" right?)

Edited by Guest