Jambands.ca

"Can" Jammy's?

AcidNintendoOrgan

Has anyone ever kicked this idea around? Logistically it would be a bit of a nightmare. But I was thinking of collectivly setting up some catergories, a venue (a club were there could be a couple live acts booked for the evening), a voting database and a web cast. Perhaps a couple sponsers. Something to tinker with for early next summer perhaps. I think it would be a blast.

Yeah, what StoneMtn said. I also wonder why such a thing would be done. If you want to honour good musicians, then it'd be OK (I guess), but I think I'd rather see promotion/organization efforts directed to expanding the overall fan base, by getting the music into places it hasn't been, and/or bringing in people that aren't yet fans. (I can envision putting on mini multi-day/multi-venue "festivals" in certain cities, maybe coordinated with charity events; this kind of thing can get you local mass-market press, which gets the word out to those who would like the music, but don't know it's there.)

Edit to add: An apology. I just re-read what I wrote, and it sounds dismissive and negative, which wasn't my intent.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

I can speak as a player in the CanJam scene that without funding this would be nearly impossible.

It is so hard to tour this counrty due to size and lack of population to support more shows and hence operating capital. This would be a real hurdle.

I like the idea, but we need either a large operating/travel grant or a way bigger fan base to make this all viable.

P.S. That's another reason many Can. bands long to go to the US, it makes more sense fiscally.

But this would satisfy two of my life dreams, to bilk the rich and gullible under the auspices of cheap metaphysics, and to promote a killer festival with great Canadian bands.

- "and it'll cure your asthma, too" :).

All we need are start-up costs. Who can hack their way into the 700 Club's coffers? I'm sure they wouldn't miss a million or two.

Make a list of all of the jambands that are active right now in Canada. There might be enough for some form of show.

OK, now make a list for NEXT year. I'll bet it'd be the same bands.

I just don't believe that there is enough to go around.

I had an idea for a nifty pseudo-science last night that might be incorporatable* into a new religion: analysing people's shaking hands.

You know how people use the way/amount a person's hands shake/quiver as an indication of how nervous a person is? My theory is that, like light or sound, the shaking is actually composed of different frequency shakes, all coming together.

By breaking the shakes down into ranges (of frequency), and assigning each range a meaning/purpose, you can analyze someone's life. A strong shake at a given frequency (or in a given frequency range) means you're nervous about your love life, a different frequency means your work life, and so on. Charts could be produced that would make it easy for Shakerists to quickly diagnose your life, and offer advice as to how to change your life, by controlling (emphasizing, or de-emphasizing) shakes of different frequencies.

Our patron saint will be Mary Ann with the Shaky Hands.

Aloha,

Brad

* If that's a word...

Ya. I think that the lack of interest in the Junos outside of Canada (and even within Canada to a fair degree) indicates how pointless a Can-jammy award show would be.

No one would really even notice; apart from those of us participating in this thread and maybe a dozen other people in this country (who I can probably name!), and a few Canadian jambands. If no one notices, then it really does little to nothing to expand these bands' profiles and increase their exposure.