Jambands.ca

RC: has totally lost interest in Trey Anastasio

MarcO

What is it? I am not a "hater". I am not pining for a Phish reformation. I understand why Phish could not continue and I sincerely wish him all the best.

But for the life of me, I just can't get behind anything he's done since the break-up. 70 Volt Parade was a glorified bar band. "Shine" wasn't a bad album because of it's pop/rock approach - it was a bad album because of it's poor, poor songwriting. Oysterhead is clearly a problem for a guy like me that is completely allergic to Les Claypool - I do not find him funny or entertaining in any way, good player though he is.

And now the collaboration with the Duo and Mike. I wasn't interested in The Duo and their navel-gazing indulgences before, even with Mike - adding Trey to the mix just.... adds Trey to the mix. It sounds empty, soul-less to me, just furrowed brows and gaping mouths, overplaying, underplaying, and not so hot material to draw on(and yes, I have heard both Bonnaroo and the 7/1 Holmdel show).

I deliberately chose not to respond to any of the threads currently going where people are sharing their enthusiasm for Trey as of late. I say, let them have their fun! I figure the title of this thread says what it needs to in order for people to know what they are getting into here.

So, anybody feeling the same way as me? I listened to this man almost every day for years. Now I am really starting to question his legacy.

And it's not that what I am hearing is all so bad. It's just that it is... not that good! I *want* to dig on Trey, to get behind him. But I am just coming to find him a bit of a bore.

Discuss.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are starting to question his legacy?

Just take some time off ANY of his music.

So many people are bad mouthing, if you don't like it, don't listen to it, don't respond to it, just don't do it. Leave the music for those who do like it...

Just take some time off ANY of his music. So many people are bad mouthing, if you don't like it, don't listen to it, don't respond to it, just don't do it. Leave the music for those who do like it...

I hardly think MarcO is bad-mouthing.. He's expressing a critical opinion which is well-reasoned and thought-out. He's wondering if anyone agrees. It's an internet discussion board... He's looking for a discussion of his valid point... Where's the problem with that?

PS. MarcO I completely agree with everything you said. You said everything I would have, much better.

AD

if you don't like it, don't listen to it, don't respond to it, just don't do it. Leave the music for those who do like it...

no, actually Cully, I'll listen to his music and critique it and come to my own opinion and respond to it, thank you very much.

If you don't like the criticism, don't open the thread. I couldn't have been more explicit, or diplomatic for that matter.

I am not saying that Marco is bad mouthing anything...but if you don't like something (and you keep stating that over and over) why do you go back to it? Marco, do whatever you want..who are I to tell you what to do...it was just a suggestion. When something gets boring/stale to me I take time off it. That is all that I meant, no harm, no foul.

P.S. I didn't see the title to this thread, sorry.

P.S.S Maybe you don't like the music now...but you will in the future? (I know there is tonnes of music that I used to hate that I love now!!!)

Edited by Guest

fair enough, Cully. I am just compelled to keep going back - I am a fan, after all - hoping that he will bring it for me. Not "like he used to" or anything.

You are right, it does seem contradictory to start a thread about something you're not interested in. But I guess that is the point: in the Bigger Picture I am very interested in Trey Anastasio. But on a case-by-case basis as of late, I feel he's striking out and I just need to discuss it.

There is a pattern developing here for me. It's not like someone wakes up one day and say "ah, whatever Trey does from now on, I can't listen to it straight, I need a break".

If I was really just horny for anything Phish-y from Trey, I'd be all over the GRAB stuff. All the ingredients are there.

This whole GRAB thing seems to be a work in progress...and yes his new songs are super cheesy (but in the last few articles I have read, Trey stated that he does not want to sing silly songs anymore) Hopefully Trey will realize that his songs can still be funky/rocking and be about serious things.

I personally thought that the Oysterhead show from Bonnarro was off the hook (and I am not a Les fan either) I hope that we can all agree that Trey is playing better guitar than the end of phish years when sweet lady H was messing with his head.

I thought it meant there was a Roman Catholic who had totally lost interest in Trey...

I'm technically a Roman Catholic, and I have lost interest in Trey. :)

I really enjoyed TAB, especially when it got really big with horns and keys and percussion and all that good stuff. That band got super groovy and really appealed to my love of a really big band.

70 Volt Parade doesn't get my excited.

Is it too bad that Trey has gone off in another direction? I dunno... maybe for me, but I doubt for him.

Like what Jaydawg said, I'm sure he's really enjoying working with a clean slate. And, as a musician who has been playing in a band for a really long time, and that band has been playing a lot of the same material for most of it's time together, I have to say, I can really understand why someone would want to just completely close that chapter of their life.

I don't know if TAB really allowed him to do that entirely, they certainly played Phish covers in TAB.

Looks like Trey just needs to do another thing. Hopefully in a couple of years he'll try something else that I, we, you will enjoy more. It was a good run though... glad he did what he did for as long as he did it. I'm also glad he called it quits before they (Phish) became the Rolling Stones (you know what I mean).

Edited by Guest

Like thatpatguy, I really enjoyed TAB with the whole horn groove & all, nothing really after that though. I do have tickets for the Duo, Mike & Trey show in Toronto and I'll fully decide after seeing it live. But, in all honesty, if I didn't have the ticket already, I probally wouldn't go, judging by the shows I've downloaded so far. (eg: Bonnaroo,2006-06-28 & 2006-07-02)

So many people are bad mouthing, if you don't like it, don't listen to it, don't respond to it, just don't do it. Leave the music for those who do like it...

Sorta like Wassabi threads here right? Or did I miss the meaning of that sentence.028.gif

I can't say much of anything he's done as of late, or even post-phish altogether, has really sparked my interest past checking it out. And, I agree that maybe, after so many changes, yet, with an undying interest or intrigue in the man, it becomes frustrating to hear him play what you find unpleasurable or flat out bad when you have such high expectations. But, alas, what are you going to do? I think his legacy is still up on a pedistool after everything he did with Phish and it would take a lot to knock it down, as hard as he's trying. So, I agree and disagree, and there you have it..... bam, my two cents.