Jambands.ca

RC: has totally lost interest in Trey Anastasio

MarcO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then there is the fact that I've seen everyone of those musicians play and they're all excellent.

No. That doesnt always work which IS a fact, whatever you may want to believe.

Getting back to the original question, I really dont care anymore. I've been dulled to sleep.

the bonnaroo performance was an exibition in trey's ghey obsession to write lyrics about nature. It comes off sounding...oh I don't know....wishy washy, adult comtemporary pop crap.

Honestly, I think he needs something bad to happen in his life to be able to write songs of that cadence.

no, i didn't see it...

just lotsa totally ignorant trey optimism over here on my end

:)

I don't think optimism for Trey is at all ignorant! I wish I could share it!

And neither do I think criticism of trey is ignorant either (I hope!).

Have a wonderful time at the show.

And hey - if this thread is bringing anyone down, I am sorry about that but don't say the thread title didn't warn ya!

Judging from the responses I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way as of late....

no, no...i hear ya...

he has sooooo much to live up to. which is good and bad. i guess on the bright side it shows just HOW special phish was (of course, we knew that, but it's nice to have it confirmed!)

i haven't seen any of the trey acts besides phish. so this is my first and i know i'll just enjoy seeing him again after so long. :)

i do hope he blows my mind of course.

but i understand where you're coming from.

Did you witness the Bonneroo webcast?

okay granted I'm told there was sound problems from the feed.

...anyways I'm sure everyone who goes will have a super fun time! :)

I will surely keep my ear tuned to what Trey does...I can't stop myself. :)

I saw it first hand...and walked away.

that being said, I'm giving him 2 more strikes...this weekend in darien, and here in toronto...

Confirmed: interest lost.

TAB was great, and while I completely understand any artist's desire to change and do different things, I'm not getting into any of the new things that Trey is doing. Oysterhead is completely unlistenable. While I loudly applaud Trey's intention to sing fewer silly songs and more serious ones, he has to actually write some *good* material first - Shine was atrocious. 70 Volt Parade was shoddy at best. I still haven't listened to GRAB, but what I have heard of Benevento/Russo previously doesn't particularly make me want to hear this. I still will though, and I'm hoping it will be excellent.

Like MarcO said, I'm not particularly pining for a Phish reunion, nor do I blame Trey for the demise of the band. I'm not a Trey-hater. I just wish he could capture my interest again.

then there is the fact that I've seen everyone of those musicians play and they're all excellent.

No. That doesnt always work which IS a fact' date=' whatever you may want to believe.

Getting back to the original question, I really dont care anymore. I've been dulled to sleep.[/quote']

combative and pushing negativity into my own opinion. that's swell.

Bouche, ever notice that when someone doesnt agree with you, they are somehow being "negative", else at the least "combative"?

All I am saying is that it is a blind mans view to automatically assume a band is going to be great, simply because you think the core components are excellent musicians. It doesnt always work out that the music they produce is going to be good.

I will chime in here too. I have seen much Trey bashing and held my tongue..but I have to agree. I have really lost interest.

I consider my self a huge Phish fan (having spend tonnes of cash and time seeing 75 shows + from 94-2004) and even post Phish I saw something like 25 trey solo shows in 2002 and beyong...most with his "plasma" big band & Oysterhead. Those shows were awesome and got me hyped.

But then somehting happened. Not sure what, but I really lost interest. The 70 volt parade doesn't light a fire for me. And I saw him with the Duo at Bonnaroo and that was really hollow for me. It really lacked substance and direction. I thought there were some decent jams and all but Trey's ballads are very tough to stomach these days.

I listened to "Shine" and was hugely let down. Not that it was bad....just really predictable and boring and the production turned my stomach...so compressed and radio polished.

Mostly the music bores me now. I know where it's going at every turn, before it gets there. The harmony is really garden variety with simple triads used very predicatably. Seems like he's just not trying to push anymore.

For the record I thought that many of the songs on Round Room suffered fromt this meadering mid-tempo balldry with the exception of "mexican cousin" and others.)

What is even wierder is that I have also lost interest in listening to Phish these days?!!! I don't really get that, but it seems I have to make a point of diging through my collection for a choice show and force my self to listen. I don't know why that is. I loved Phish. On the other hand I listen to the Grateful Dead every day and am constanlty downloading live Dead and Jerry shows.i still can't get egnough of them.

Not sure why this is, but I really could take it or leave Trey at this point. But, I'm not going to write the whole thing off, hopefully Trey will eventually write and play music that gets me excited/engaged and interested again. he certainly is amazingly talented. If not he'll always be on of the best guitar players in the world.

And I agree with Fluffhead77, Trey is dangerously close to veering into Adult Conteporary mode with some of his sensitive tunes these days. There just isn't any groove.

I hope something changes...I used to really love Phish. :crazy:

Edited by Guest