Jambands.ca

RC: has totally lost interest in Trey Anastasio

MarcO

I really enjoyed the Oysterhead set at Bonnaroo. In the sea of inexperienced art rock that goes on today these guys are bringing some chops to that genre.

I know there may not be any lyrics about trains or love lamented but I find the song writing to be bang on, evocative and approachable due to the insanity that pervades it. I also enjoy the political side of some of it.

Their ability to communicate with their instruments and there lack of wanking in eachother`s company was cool to be witness to.

As far as the 70 Volt escapades....I found them lack lustre. I love TAB, but 70V really is missing the mark IMO.

Deeps

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel that a lot of what Trey is doing right now is crap, but going to a show is still amazing. I know that it is all about the music, but just like Umphrey's I feel that you almost need to be there to appreciate what is really going on. Trey has the ability to energize a room and get everyone smiling and dancing (like no other performer I have seen) I can't wait for Darien...

For those who are not happy with Trey, what are your thoughts about how he has played with Phil and Friends this tour?

Edited by Guest

Bouche, ever notice that when someone doesnt agree with you, they are somehow being "negative", else at the least "combative"?

All I am saying is that it is a blind mans view to automatically assume a band is going to be great, simply because you think the core components are excellent musicians. It doesnt always work out that the music they produce is going to be good.

if you're referring to having pointed out exactly what you were doing...well, you did just jump in and try and dash my hopes and excitement for a fun time.

I'm not so excited anymore. who wants to buy our tickets?

... In the sea of inexperienced art rock that goes on today ...

Just curious to what you mean by that sentence...

In Guelph there are many acts that are celebrated for there unique nature, but possess no real expertise on their instruments. I am faced with this often.

I feel it is often that Oysterhead is celebrated for their unique nature, but they actually show some competancy when it comes to making their tunes.

On a larger scale we can look to Modest Mouse or Pavement or even Arcade Fire for that matter as an example of celebrated acts without real musical proficiency I suppose. Though I do enjoy their song writing their tones are pretty hard to deal with and it seems that fans of the afformentioned acts get pissed when the tones are rounded out as Oysterhead's are. So I commend Oysterhead for their rounding of tones and communication whilst playing.

It's a little apples and orangey though and I'm not saying one's better or worse I'm just saying I like the Oysterhead roll and Trey's involvement in it.

Cheers

Deeps

In Guelph there are many acts that are celebrated for there unique nature' date=' but possess no real expertise on their instruments. I am faced with this often.

I feel it is often that Oysterhead is celebrated for their unique nature, but they actually show some competancy when it comes to making their tunes.

On a larger scale we can look to Modest Mouse or Pavement or even Arcade Fire for that matter as an example of celebrated acts without real musical proficiency I suppose. Though I do enjoy their song writing their tones are pretty hard to deal with and it seems that fans of the afformentioned acts get pissed when the tones are rounded out as Oysterhead's are. So I commend Oysterhead for their rounding of tones and communication whilst playing.

It's a little apples and orangey though and I'm not saying one's better or worse I'm just saying I like the Oysterhead roll and Trey's involvement in it.

Cheers

Deeps

[/quote']

This post reminds how much I hate musical proficiency as a concept. How can one be proficient when the whole idea is completely subjective? One person deemed musical numbskull by one person could be deemed "extremely competent" by another.

In another scenario, would a proficient writer be someone like Ken Follet who turns out best-selling spy novels twice a year, or a straight-A Columbia grad who publishes a hoity-toity academic paper on the significance of parentheses in her spare time and works at In N' Out Burger from 9-5 for 20 years?

"Proficient" Actors end up cranking out shakespearean productions at stratford...the shitty actors with big tits end up with multi-million dollar movie deals.

I guess I haven't really cared what Trey has been up to since phish split the first time. I have no hate on for him, I just couldn't care less. I'll be seeing him at 10k. I haven't listened to anything he's done lately except for that god awful video.... I'd really love to hear some inspired music from him. After all he will always remain one of my top musical heroes.

In Guelph there are many acts that are celebrated for there unique nature' date=' but possess no real expertise on their instruments. I am faced with this often.

Cheers

Deeps

[/quote']

Here, here I could not agree more.

Cheers

Deeps

[/quote']

This post reminds how much I hate musical proficiency as a concept. How can one be proficient when the whole idea is completely subjective? One person deemed musical numbskull by one person could be deemed "extremely competent" by another.

In another scenario, would a proficient writer be someone like Ken Follet who turns out best-selling spy novels twice a year, or a straight-A Columbia grad who publishes a hoity-toity academic paper on the significance of parentheses in her spare time and works at In N' Out Burger from 9-5 for 20 years?

"Proficient" Actors end up cranking out shakespearean productions at stratford...the shitty actors with big tits end up with multi-million dollar movie deals.

Being musically profecient or competent is not in any way related to being comemrically successful. They are two entirely seperate things.

When they coaless the audience is the real winner.

So, in order to have 'real' music proficiency you have to be able to round your tones, but you dont necessarily have to write good music?

I dont think I understand what I am reading.

I'd say having a clue about both tone and songwriting is precisely what I am refering to as proficient.

Definition:

Proficiency

Skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity

A lot of art rock does not exemplify this...I'm not saying it is bad, I'm just saying they lack the faculty to move their tones conciously. I'm sure they at times they are unable to even convey to a sound person what it is they need in their monitors or even realize they have options...it's valid art, but by no means sonicly proficient.

I like that Oysterhead is deriving from practice and familiarity (my familiarity) AND experimenting as opposed to coupling a super wicked Low-low-fi drum, guitar and violin sound, with their experimenting as a means of validating it.

In the case with the bands I previoulsy mentioned and have ENJOYED, there seems to be a strong propensity to ignore much of basic principles in sound so as to show how amazingly free they are.

For ME, it detracts from the experience and rings of laziness.

You always need good songs.

I'm not so sure musical proficiency is so subjective, after all. I mean, to a certain extent it is. But it is not hard to separate those that can play their instruments from those that cannot.

The question then becomes "who has something to say"? Placing, oh I dunno, four amazing musicians together on a stage may be a sure bet as far as demonstrating proficiency, and maybe this is enough. For me, it is often a prescription for a music-induced coma. Being a guitar whiz can become a severe liability. However, not being the greatest guitar player doesn't have to be such.

The magic really lies where musicians overcome their short-comings and make the most of their limited facilities. Give me Neil Young strangling one note out of his black Les Paul over a Steve Vai intellectual exercise in musicality.

Gold....fucking beautiful One in a Hair!!!!

I think I made it clear in my posts that this was a matter of myperception of proficiency which does not include banging my head against a hub cap for a minute and half as part of your rock and roll experience.

I will undoubtedly respect the artistic impression of the hub capped head banger, but I will never qualify it as musically proficient.

Deeps

Deeps, let me get it straight before I respond, no doubt after Portugal comes back and spanks France like they so deserve...

"Modest Mouse, Pavement and Arcade Fire are not musically competent", that's your statement? If so, please cite examples where you think this is the case.

And again why this argument is relevant.

AD

You always need good songs.

I don't think Oysterhead could hold a candle to most anything the three 'incompetent' bands you wrote about have released, in terms of arrangements, lyrics, sublety, performance, dynamics, composition, melody, etc....

But we're just talking about opinions here; there's mine.

AD

Oysterhead is a fun band. Really though, the songs arent good enough for any of the musicians previous band's catalogues; only the novelty of seeing them rock together, makes it exciting every 5-6 years.

Appreciating tones, musicanship, tastiness (as it were) are big reasons for enjoying certain kinds of music. However, music appeals to people for as many reasons as there are types of individuals. Something as simple as a sentiment, or vibe of a song can make it someone's favorite regardless of level of play or how polished it sounds.

I really enjoy modest mouse, and arcade fire. But I love pavement, and although lots of the earlier albums are a little 'rough', the emotion is there, the messages are there, the feeling, the attitude and the abstract lyrics are there.. this is sh!t that matters to me, i guess, in the case of this band. Although, I dont normally feel like I need to explain my enjoyment and I hope no one else does either. I enjoy MM and AF for totally different reasons, I do however think they are both highly proficient bands. Sometimes a grungier tone, or a dirty tone is what suits the tune- its nice to see musicians be able to play with the right flavours.

Also per the subject of this thread: I am a trey fan 4Life. Caught 3 tunes at SPAC the other day, and enjoyed 1- cover of 'who are you'- which fuÇking rocked. I'm still reserving judgement for Toronto. and havent enjoyed his band the last few times, but really, I just want to see Trey have fun, he's given me a lot of fun over the years.. I think I'll always be interested in hearing what he's up to, at least once.