Jambands.ca

RC: has totally lost interest in Trey Anastasio

MarcO

TAB does kick ass. There are tunes by them i'd much rather hear than Phish songs.

the rest of trey's stuff is kaka, but like the monkey of gentleness said, i'm gonna see everything i can by him (unless something better is happening at the same time re:Vegoose last year)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a larger scale we can look to Modest Mouse or Pavement or even Arcade Fire for that matter as an example of celebrated acts without real musical proficiency I suppose. Though I do enjoy their song writing their tones are pretty hard to deal with and it seems that fans of the afformentioned acts get pissed when the tones are rounded out as Oysterhead's are. So I commend Oysterhead for their rounding of tones and communication whilst playing.

I'm not so sure that people get "pissed" about tones. I don't think that real music fans are blatantly partisan about such things - setting up conditions which must be met before something can be appreciated is narrow-minded. I like some albums that are more on the lo-fi end of things, and I like some bands that use more rounded tones.

I'm not sure how tones determine whether a band or an album are enjoyable. Yes (for example) is comprised of superbly "proficient" musicians who make stellar-sounding albums... which bore me to tears. I suppose this comes down to whether you're focusing on form, or on content. I think that whether a song is "good" or not for me is more a matter of content, which I suppose explains why I have no problem with a lot of 80s music - the production value is secondary to the content for me. None of this, of course, is to imply that a don't love an album that *sounds* great - but if it doesn't have the quality songs to go along with the great sound, my interest is lost. I can *appreciate* its richness and detail, but I won't necessarily enjoy it.

I just don't like Oysterhead because (in my opion) lyrically, they write a lot of really shitty songs. And musically, they just aren't appealing to me. I find them nearly unlistenable - which is interesting, because I love Trey and Stewart Copeland is one of my all-time favourite drummers. My dislike has nothing whatsoever to do with the tones being used.

Like MarcO said, I would rather hear an emotive musician like Neil Young play a brilliant one-note solo (a la "Down By The River") than a technical genius like Yngwie Malmsteen. I prefer Bob Dylan's harmonica to John Popper's. Simplicity can say a lot when it is done right.

A lot of art rock does not exemplify this...I'm not saying it is bad, I'm just saying they lack the faculty to move their tones conciously. I'm sure they at times they are unable to even convey to a sound person what it is they need in their monitors or even realize they have options...

Yes... or maybe that *is* the sound they are aiming for. This is like saying that Impressionist art isn't bad, but that Impressionist artists were unable to make bold, well-defined art like, say Picasso. You may *prefer* Picasso, but that doesn't mean that Monet was *unable* to paint like Picasso, or that he was unable to tell the paint-mixer what colours he wanted, or that he didn't realize that he could have used strong lines and bold colours in his art. Maybe (definitely, actually) it was his conscious effort *not* to use bold, defining strokes, but to create a different sort of image altogether.

Maybe the guy who is bashing the hupcap against his head *can* play guitar like Steve Vai, but right now he's more interested in creating the sound that the hubcap makes when it smacks into his cranium.

Once again I am not saying one is better than the other and I am also not saying that my narrow mind can't appreciate both sides of this coin we keep flipping here.

I appreciate that Oysterhead is doing what it is doing, juxtaposed to a lot of the other art rock I have been exposed to as of late. It's a simple comment about my preference or rather reverance for Oysterhead.

I realize sometimes that lo-fi tone is the tone some people are going for, but I also appreciate that in some cases, many cases in this fair city, the players are generally just unaware of tone and set their amps in the trunk of their car on the way over and as a result get this wimpy uninpiring TO ME sound.

This has been insightful.

Much respect.

Edited by Guest

I just don't like Oysterhead because (in my opion) lyrically, they write a lot of really shitty songs. And musically, they just aren't appealing to me. I find them nearly unlistenable - which is interesting, because I love Trey and Stewart Copeland is one of my all-time favourite drummers. My dislike has nothing whatsoever to do with the tones being used.

Ditto. Nothing really moves me. My soul can't be bothered to dance.

Simplicity can say a lot when it is done right.

So true! I'd add something witty, but that would just complicate things...

all of these threads seem to end the same way, just like Cincinnati (they all sound the same!!!)

I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought it had developed into an interesting, if kinda testy, debate about musical proficiency and personal tastes.

Cully, I am not trying to be a buzzkill to you. I sincerely hope you continue to get real value and joy from Trey. I'm just in a different headspace altogether.

I am happy that you are at least willing to talk about why you are unhappy with what Trey is up to these days. Some people I know, who shall remain nameless, won't even talk about Trey anymore...they have 'moved on'

You are not being a buzzkill at all.

I just wish that someone had responded to my post about Trey being one of the only musicians I know that can totally captivate a whole room, make people smile for no reason (and feel like you just took the best hit of e ever) even if the songs that he is playing are cheesy. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way?

I think it may have something to do with his guitar tone and his shit eating grin...

Edited by Guest

ANYWAY,

I'm stoked for the Tdot show! I think the Grab solo shows in the smaller intimate venues will spark some dank creativity and heady inspiration. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few acoustic ditties between Trey+Mike.

I empathize with the hater's disdain towards Trey's new songs (those lyrics BLOW, where's Tom or the Dude when you need them?), but some of GRAB's jams are type II to the max and whenever Mike's heavy in the mix, I get my mony's worth, 10-fold. Have you guys heard Hap-Nappy yet?

You know what they say, the sweet ain't too sweet without the sour, and that's what this group experiment feels like to me. I know I can't have Phish back, so I'll take what i can get, and as long as Mike's in the mix and Trey's ripping type II jams, I'm a happy camper!

Flame-on

fair enough, Cully. I am just compelled to keep going back - I am a fan, after all - hoping that he will bring it for me. Not "like he used to" or anything.

You are right, it does seem contradictory to start a thread about something you're not interested in. But I guess that is the point: in the Bigger Picture I am very interested in Trey Anastasio. But on a case-by-case basis as of late, I feel he's striking out and I just need to discuss it.

There is a pattern developing here for me. It's not like someone wakes up one day and say "ah, whatever Trey does from now on, I can't listen to it straight, I need a break".

If I was really just horny for anything Phish-y from Trey, I'd be all over the GRAB stuff. All the ingredients are there.

Thats the key eh. "I"m a fan". Problem is during the haitus seeing TAB play the same record every nigth I said "I'm never going to see Trey again". Then I went to Cinci for phish and said "I'm never going to see Phish again" (stuck to that one). Saw Oysterhead somewhere in there and said "I'm never going to see Trey again". Saw 70-volt and said "For dam fucking sure I'm never going to see Trey again - he's old boring and a snoozer" But I'm going to see GRAB.

Still, judging by ticket sales I would say Trey has used up almost all of his good will... can anybody say "Tonight for one night only at the half empty El Macombo... Mr. Trey Anastasio"