Jambands.ca

The Who @ the ACC...

Mr. Photogeek

For the Ottawa show, I tried to get the up front $120 tix during the pre-sale and again today. No luck either time. But ended up with 28th row floors which I'm happy with.

24 years after seeing them during their first farewell tour - heh. In '89 I was too pissed at them doing a post farewell tour to see them. Saw them in '96 (?) at the Molson Amphitheatre and it really was a great show. I can't pass on this opportunity to see (part of) one of my all-time favourite bands.

For the Ottawa show, I tried to get the up front $120 tix during the pre-sale and again today. No luck either time. But ended up with 28th row floors which I'm happy with.

Anyone know why the first few rows are actually cheaper? I did pull 2nd row, right on the aisle but I gave them up figuring there's a stage obstruction up front.

This is not the WHO people it is an overpriced cover band featuring a once great deaf guitarist and a vocalist who should know better.

I have no love for the WHO as they are now. }:(

I hope you didn't pay money to see "The Dead".

Good point, in fact I have. The main difference is that "The Dead" are not proclaiming to be the Grateful Dead, nor are have they dwindled to two surviving members and one of them being deaf. Also having said that every time I go to a "The Dead" show I always consider it the best Dead cover band in the world. I am in no way expecting a "Grateful Dead" show. The Who never make that distinction. Furhtermore "The Dead" are not charging the insane prices "the Who" are.

For the records I much prefer the solo projects of the members "Grateful Dead" as opposed to "The Dead". I also though it was a bad move renaming themselves "the Dead" from "The Other Ones".

Huge difference dude.

Edited by Guest

This is not the WHO people it is an overpriced cover band featuring a once great deaf guitarist and a vocalist who should know better.

I have no love for the WHO as they are now. }:(

I disagree with the cover band crack, but only by degrees. As for your "once great" observation regarding Townshend, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

The main difference is that "The Dead" are not proclaiming to be the Grateful Dead, nor are have they dwindled to two surviving members and one of them being deaf. Also having said that every time I go to a "The Dead" show I always consider it the best Dead cover band in the world. I am in no way expecting a "Grateful Dead" show. The Who never make that distinction. Furhtermore "The Dead" are not charging the insane prices "the Who" are.

Do you have any idea how silly and superficial this point is?

Do you want a great show or a puritan experience?

Do you think anyone other than a total deadhead understands that the members of "The Dead" arent "The Grateful Dead" but they're like "The Grateful Dead". It's just that "The Dead" have this great respect for the defacto former leader of "The Grateful Dead". So, when he died (despite the deaths and departures of numerous other members) they thought it was a nice tribute, yet not insulting to rename the band "The Dead" instead of "The Grateful Dead" even though most fans called them "The Dead" even when they were "The Grateful Dead". (And don't get me started on Furthur and the Other Ones)

How much time do you think a casual fan has?

Plus,

Any big fan of the Who knows that Townshend has spoken to the issue of the "who" not really being the "Who" anymore at great length.

and... until 2002 they had 75% of their founding line-up. Now they have half...

but they also currently have 60% of their line-up since 1977.

Does anyone have these stats for "The Dead"?

More importantly...

I saw this line-up in 2002.

And I do not give this review lightly...

(having seen Clapton, Stones, U2, AC/DC, Rush, Springsteen, Phish, The Dead, DMB, Tom Petty, and a half bazillon other bands)

THERE IS NO OTHER ROCK SHOW LIKE THIS ROCK SHOW.

It could be just Townshend...but I tend to think that his genius is tied to having Daltrey out front. Like with Daltrey there he can let himself go.

Mabye don't spend $200...but go see this band.

Jef

• 3 months later...
It was The Pretenders; and I doubt it was a bad night. Many people around me were singing along and cheering.

I was embarrassed on their behalf.

Reminds me of Steve Miller's opening for the Dead in '91. After someone we'd driven to the show having lost all our doses, hearing all those frat boys in the stadium singing along was real salt in a wound.