Jambands.ca

Best years for Phish

The Chameleon

Just a question to those on the board: What years do you think were the best creatively and performance wise for Phish?

My opinion is that 1997/1998 was the high water mark. I went on both summer tours and many show in between. The jams are amazing, the funk vibrant and fresh. When I listen to those shows the band seems so full of life. Not to mention the new material from "Story of the Ghost" was killer at that time andn they had just come back from Europe. 1997 was also the year the first glow stick war happened at Loring Air Force Base for the Great Went, I remeber that like it was yesterday.

After that things were still awsome but something seemed to change a bit, things began to get a bit stale here and there.

I hope one day to feel that excitement again. Here's hoping tonights Trey, Mike & the Duo show lights a fire.

glow-sticks.gif

Penny for your thoughts.....

P.S. I suggest you go to sugarmegs.org and listen to PH 08/09/97 Alpine Valley, to hear the magic.

Edited by Guest

My opinion is that 1997/1998 was the high water mark. I went on both summer tours and many show in between. The jams are amazing, the funk vibrant and fresh. When I listen to those shows the band seems so full of life. Not to mention the new material from "Story of the Ghost" was killer at that time andn they had just come back from Europe. 1997 was also the year the first glow stick war happened at Loring Air Force Base for the Great Went, I remeber that liek it was yesterday.

fter that things were still awsome but something seemed to change a bit, things began to get a bit stale here and there.

I hope one day to feel that excitement again. Here's hoping tonights Trey, Mike & the Duo show lights a fire.

I could not agree more...that was my first phish show and festival...it opened my eyes and changed my life forever! I did not miss a phish fest after that :)

overall i'd probably say 1997. 98 and 99 had some killer points too though...atlanta, shoreline, etc.

:)

True '99 did have some killer show! You're right Shoreline with Phil was stellar and Big Cypruss was insane. After that it never quite seemed the same. Glad I was there. I'm sure you guys are too.

Edited by Guest

from '83-98 were the goods!

plus the Chalkdust jam from '99 E Center!

and dont forget 2000...

and oh yeah 2003-2004

come on kids..

its all good

if someone were to give you a live phish show.. regardless of year...

are you gonna turn it down?

WHEN THEY PLAY...

DO WE NOT ROCK OUT!!!

and dont forget 2000...

and oh yeah 2003-2004

come on kids..

its all good

WHEN THEY PLAY...

DO WE NOT ROCK OUT!!!

You are right that even bad Phish is still pretty good. But certainly were some golden years of mindblowing music and it seemed to end at 99 for sure. Some would say 98.

Similar to the Dead, many would say that 1977 was thier best year, but no one that likes the Grateful Dead would not go to a show after that. I think seeing has most of us have seen many Phish shows, and spend much $$$, time, and effort to get to them over the years we have earned the right to be anlytical and to some extent critical of thier progress.

Bottom line Phish is still one of the best there ever was. No debate there.

Edited by Guest

and dont forget 2000...

and oh yeah 2003-2004

come on kids..

its all good

WHEN THEY PLAY...

DO WE NOT ROCK OUT!!!

You are right that even bad Phish is still pretty good. But certainly were some golden years of mindblowing music...

Bottom line Phish is still one of the best there ever was. No debate there.

everybody has bad days..

im sure people think im crazy or a noobie or whatever you want to call me..

however you wanna look at it..

all of us liked phish

its a tie that binds..

its kinda like the sceen in 'half baked' where chappelle is smokin with willie nelson.. and they are talking about how much a dime bag cost back in the day..

pot spans generations man...

just like phish...

i got the munchies

Edited by Guest

Well, I favour patient, fluid, extended jamming over machine-gun-perfect energy.

So my favorites are 1995, 1997 and believe it or not, 2003.

i agree with your fluid extended jams comment..

much better question then the original.. it gets more into what we each like more about phish..

like jennifer dances!

Well' date=' I favour patient, fluid, extended jamming over machine-gun-perfect energy.

So my favorites are 1995, 1997 and believe it or not, 2003.

[/quote']

i agree with your fluid extended jams comment..

much better question then the original.. it gets more into what we each like more about phish..

like jennifer dances!

[color:purple]Ah ha! You like Jennifer Dances! This explains everything! HAAHAAa

All jokes bro'

Phish were an amazing band. It's become easy for me to forget that over the last couple of years but right from my first show in Niagara Falls in '95 to my last in SPAC '04, they delivered the goods more often than not.

Big Cypress remians one of the highlights of my life. It was equally life-affirming as a good ole' rock 'n'roll concert , a personal aesthetic, and personal transformations. I went there with Brian Hamilton, my best pal, TimmyB, whom I was just getting to know but turned out to be a dear and close friend, and I spent a large part of my private time thinking about Ms. X, my soul-mate. We "officially" became a couple within 48 hours of my return from Florida and it's still going strong today.

None of which has much to with Phish, but hey it was a fucking awesome show, from the soundcheck the first night to the sun coming up two days and a morning later. I just thank them for providing an alternate time-line to such wonderful memories!

i really like 95 and 96. the clifford ball is incredible.

but hey, on different days i like different years. how about arrowhead ranch 91! or the bomb factory...i think 93?!

and i dare anybody to listen to nassau 2003 (feb/28) and say phish wasnt the 'same' post-hiatus.

Edited by Guest

i really like 95 and 96. the clifford ball is incredible.

but hey, on different days i like different years. how about arrowhead ranch 91! or the bomb factory...i think 93?!

and i dare anybody to listen to nassau 2003 (feb/28) and say phish wasnt the 'same' post-hiatus.

Agreed that the Bomb factory was a crazy show. I was also at the 2003 Miami New Years run and there were some sets that were as goood as anything I've ever seen.

But it's all about consistency and in '97/'98 it was hittin' every godamn day it seemed.