Jambands.ca

Who can marry a person?

Deeps

Apparently Greg (aka Alabama Man/Esau) is licensed to perform marriages. I'm not kidding.

Really?!? Wow, that would solve one problem for me. Thanks for the post.

PS: It was great to see you the other night. I wish I could have stayed longer and caught up. I don't suppose I'll see you camping anywhere this summer will I?

hey thatpatguy thanks for the link!

i checked out the humanists website and i liked a lot of what they had to say - but not everything.

what a great idea, but falls short to me when i think about the logis basis of much of their beliefs. reminds me of scientology a bit. but not so much as to discredit them...not that anybody should care what i think

;)

i know one of the keynote speakers that was at their last big conference. mike nickerson. from merrickville, my hometown.

great ideas, but not a be all and end all for me.

what happened to getting a justice of the peace for a wedding??

deeps - are you non-religious or atheist?

atheism is a specific belief in nonexistence rather than lacking a set of beliefs.

always be careful of making rules and choosing sides.

I agree with C.B. and also read the link to Humanists and they have some great beliefs.

It also reminded me of Scientology and nothing wrong there but why not just get a justice of Peace to marry you instead of going for beliefs you weren't brought up to.

We all need something and if it feels good and right to you then you do it.

All in all quite interesting.

deeps - are you non-religious or atheist?

atheism is a specific belief in nonexistence rather than lacking a set of beliefs.

always be careful of making rules and choosing sides.

More of an anti-creationist I suppose. And a why get hyped about a religion at all-ist...pretty arbitrary when you consider most of us just inherit our parents religions.

Truth about choosing sides...didn't mean to confuse this debate. All I know is that if the person who marries me has a cross around his or her neck I'll snap...or a faith in any concrete direction for that matter.

cheers

Deeps

Hey bouche what do you think of getting married by a Humanist as listed by Pat? I like their 4 main principles. They sort of sum up how we go through life.

Pat which one did you use specifically and were you pleased?

How far in advance did you have to book them?

I used Diane Schmolka. I don't know if I would recommend her again. She married my friends a few months before she married us and both my friends and Nat and I had similar issues with her.

The issues were largely of an organizational matter, so I doubt you would have a similar problem going with another officiant.

I'd be happy to talk to you about what I liked and what I didn't like, either PT or email or in person.

Also, and this may be good to know, I'm not a humanist, nor is my wife. We like a lot of what the humanists stand for, but we aren't members or anything. So, you can certainly hire them even if you don't consider yourself to be one or anything.

One thing though, they have a rule where they have to outline what they are about during the ceremony. At least that was Diane's rule.

I wrote the ceremony myself and worked it in. I made sure that the wording was such so that people would understand that these were Diane's beliefs and not necessarily ours. Also, I made sure it didn't come across like a commercial for the humanists or anything.

But like I said, I'd be happy to go over my entire experience with you if you want.

Not religious...getting hitched next summer....wondering if anyone around here had some ideas about options in this rather atheist direction.

Deeps

if you're still looking, deeps, niffer and i were married by a very cool officiant who is the brewmaster at steam whistle brewery by day.

i will dig up his info, pm me if you need it.

congratulations!