Jambands.ca

Fate of Can Jam?

zero

Blue Grassie High - Never any one off BGH gigs outside of all of them, side projects include Tireless Sedan and Cougar Bait.

"I had an out of body experience during an Oven Cake breakdown once" - you had one every show bud and I wouldnt blame you because there was enough sh!t to kill a stable of horses going around. I never saw less than double on-stage.

A fun discussion thread to skim through 8.5 years after it happened!  Pretty tired right now but here is some input before my head hits a pillow:

What is the state of Can Jam music? I don't know, but my guess is (almost) all of the musicians who were playing 8.5 years ago as part of the Can Jam community are still playing music in some capacity. Maybe jam music, maybe not. And I'm guessing a mix of genres and styles for many. Similarly, jam music fans from 8.5 years ago still love live music. They might go out to see less of it for various reasons (e.g. family and work commitments), but they are still fans of live music. And I'm guessing that they are still fans of jam music, but their tastes have grown more varied.

I'm glad that I finally finished the song "Don't Do It For The Money" that I started 8.5 years ago and discussed in this thread! Yeah, sometimes it takes me a while to finish a song! Hope to get it recorded at some point well before another 8.5 years pass by!  I'm currently playing some music with Ricky Neu (Diesel Dog, Stumbleweed and others) and Dave Voigt (Harvard Mouse), focusing on original songs.  Not a lot of gigs, but am excited to be part of a show in Kitchener on Sat. Feb. 28 with two other acts (Stephen Lewis and Dan Walsh & The Passive Resistors. Walshy's band The Passive Resistors will include some of the Diesel Dog guys ... and will have 2 keyboard players!). I'm guessing it will be jammy at times. ;):)

I've also been working on a documentary film entitled "Jamland" about a small grassroots music festival that I co-founded 8 or so years ago. Most of the filming happened 4 or 5 years ago, and we let it sit for a while before delving back into it over the past year. It is very close to being completed. Given the name, it must be kinda sorta jammy. :)  And I must admit, I'm very excited about it, because I think it's going to be good. Really good. I hope that when people from these parts see it they will feel the same way. Yes it includes some live footage of bands jamming, and some discussion about jam music, but I'm most excited about the fact that the film includes some short "life" stories about some of the musicians and people involved. I'm really excited because I think it will appeal to lots of people, not just jam fans. We are packing a heck of a lot of stuff into 30 - 35 minutes, so it should move really quickly and be very entertaining. The premiere screening will happen on Thursday June 11 in Waterloo at The Original Princess Cinema, and will include live performances as well. It's going to be a special event and I will post more detailed info about it as the date draws closer.

Ok, now I really need to get some sleep as tomorrow is a full day that starts early! Thanks for digging up this thread, as it got me thinking and feeling inspired ... and it gave me a chance to do some promoting! lol :)

Peace, Mark

I've also been working on a documentary film entitled "Jamland" about a small grassroots music festival that I co-founded 8 or so years ago. 

It's really been 8 years since the 1st Jamland. Holy Crap time flies. I guess that makes sense though, it's been going on for pretty much as long as Jackson has been alive. Can't wait to get back there. Too bad there wasn't some nice warm cabins out there to do a winter fest, that would be fun. The fire there gets hot enough that it could probably melt Stephen Harper's heart.

Must Stash Hat and Toadhouse are two bands to add to the list that are keeping the jam alive in Ontario and doing it very well :) and of course a couple jamgrass bands, The Blurry Pickers (who I believe have a new album recorded) and 2013 Delfest bluegrass band comp. winners The Unseen Strangers.