Jambands.ca

Fate of Can Jam?

zero

See you in Ottawa on Friday if you can make it to Zaphod's.

I hope you don't miss the gig Deeps because this is the second time you've said it's on Friday... it's actually on Saturday. ;)

Whomever it was that said we are all fans of "live" music and not "jam" music said it best.

I think all the young bands need to do at this point to make it happen, is focus on an area. a town. then the province. Play a lot, write good stuff. Get something real happening in your own neck of the woods. I think when a band really has something going on in one place, the word spreads and it becomes real, then they've GOTTA travel to go satiate these new markets.. Hitting Ontario 2 weekends a month wouldnt affect comfortable lifestyles too much.

Hamilton/London-Guelph-Toronto

Kingston-Montreal-Ottawa ..

Easy drives, lots of people..

I think all the young bands need to do at this point to make it happen, is focus on an area. a town.

Going further, I'd like to see more bands (and venues) have regular gigs (weekly, or monthly). I think a lot of nero's success stemmed from the Tuesday night shows at The Whipping Post: as well as giving the band the opportunity to play more (four, or eight if you include the Sunday gigs at Babylon, times the shows a typical once-a-month band had), it allowed a community to develop around them, focused on the weekly shows. (Consider: if you go see a band once, you probably won't meet or remember that many new people. If you go to the same venue, for the same band, on the same night of the week, week after week, and see the same people, you have a better opportunity to develop friendships with the people you meet there.)

Aloha,

Brad

Pablo...

I laughed out loud at your "savings plan"...I totally used to do the same thing.

One thing I don't miss about life on the road, those times where you wake up, because you feel the van stop, roll your ass out of the Van, see the gas pump, peel your eyes open, and head into the fucking Subway.

Geez...which interesting sub will I have today, Hmmm I've never tried the tuna, oh wait yes I have...about three fucking hours ago...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG....SAAAAAARSGAAAARR!

Then, you take your toothbrush into the lovely maintained bathrooms, and "freshen up", so that you can head back into the "belly of the great white beast" and head down the always interesting prairie highways and marvel in it's ability to remain flat for two straight day's...

I don't care what you say, you haven't lived on the road until you've toured across Canada!

Hey Jeff...remember those moments when we used to stand in Victoria, right on the ocean, and say "Hmmmm, in a few day's we will be standing on the opposite side of the Country looking into a completely different ocean"...wash rinse repeat.

And Pablo..it took like 5 years to get up to 20 bucks a day! I remeber our first tour. We all pitched in on some wonderbread, no-name mustard, and (no joke) Discount Balogne. We pigged out on it because we were so starved, then I think most of us got sick from it...threw up in the Bathroom's at the gig in Winnepeg!

...Or the time we were playing a bunch of Gigs in the states, talk about being broke...I remember showing up to a festival, we had literally no money, and had not eaten anything for a while. We found this section in the band area where there was patato chips, and other junk...and all the BNB guy's started going to town...like shark's in a feeding frenzy. One of the concert promoters had been watching all of this going down, and finally stopped us by saying "Uh guys? Do you like, want some real food?"...we must have looked really pathetic to him! Hilarious...

You know come to think of it, I really miss that...LET"S GET BACK ON THR ROAD!!!!WHOOO HOOOO!!!!

All complaining aside.

Being able to have performed my own music across Canada and the US for what is truthfully a beautiful group of people has been a priviledge and a dream come true.

As difficult as it is for me to play what I want to and get anywhere with it, there is nothing more I would rather do. I can't wait to be out there doing it all again.

I'll just do it more sensibly.

I think all the young bands need to do at this point to make it happen' date=' is focus on an area. a town.[/quote']

Going further, I'd like to see more bands (and venues) have regular gigs (weekly, or monthly). I think a lot of nero's success stemmed from the Tuesday night shows at The Whipping Post: as well as giving the band the opportunity to play more (four, or eight if you include the Sunday gigs at Babylon, times the shows a typical once-a-month band had), it allowed a community to develop around them, focused on the weekly shows. (Consider: if you go see a band once, you probably won't meet or remember that many new people. If you go to the same venue, for the same band, on the same night of the week, week after week, and see the same people, you have a better opportunity to develop friendships with the people you meet there.)

Aloha,

Brad

good point my man, that's a big part of how the whole family scene around the Fat Cats developed. They played the old La Luna in Hamilton weekly for years.

I've seen this method work 'cos I was right in the thick of it!!

I love this thread, really great insight.

Perhaps this is the LEGACY of being a fan of live music in Canada, it's the interaction we have between fans and the artists. Let's say Canada is a microcasm of the U.S. (not saying that it is but just for comparison sake.)

Is there any message boards out there that you can discuss music, life and politics with big american bands?

When was the last time you hung out with a group of famous american musicians and witnessed them jam around a campfire?

on a side note:

I've never been in a band but I know what life is like making your living on the road. I spent a few years criss crossing the praries. Have been to more small prarie towns than I can name. They can drone on and on. After a while though you can learn to appreciate the beauty of them, you have to look pretty deep though.

I even continue to make my living on the road, only I have to stay in one place for a while, ie. I just spent a month in Sudbury. Living in hotels and motels and college dorms, even tents, can get hard after a while. Especially when you have loved ones at home.

Edited by Guest

I think all the young bands need to do at this point to make it happen' date=' is focus on an area. a town.[/quote']

Aloha,

Brad

How did these jams with Nero work...was it a divergance from their trademeark sound? I often think of our band doing this type of thing, but feel that it would be hard to pallette for the listener week in and week out.

Were there a lot of covers learned and played? Or was it unapologetic epic rock that is Nero?

Lemme know?

Deeps

The Tuesday shows were regular nero shows: no different from other shows they did around that time, in Ottawa or other places. The is it morning? album is fairly representative (I think) of their material from that time.

As far as I know, the weekly whippings were often recorded (by the band), but most of the recordings were lost in a fire in early 2004. :(

Aloha,

Brad

Were there a lot of covers learned and played? Or was it unapologetic epic rock that is Nero?

Lemme know?

Deeps

Mr. Something Something used to do a once a month gig at the College Street bar in Toronto. I think this really expanded their audience. You could hardly move in that place and I think they pretty much had to stop playing there because it was too small a dance floor.

Again I'm not or have been in a band (anyone want a mediocre acoustic guitar player/a pretty good harp player/kick ass djembe player/loud and horrible blues scale playin' electric guitar player/out of tune singin/aspiring bass player?)

... fuck I forgot what I was going to say he he sweet tokes

oh yeah, The Something Somethings were able to pack the place, with their own brand of music.

Edited by Guest

Mr. Something Something used to do a once a month gig at the College Street bar in Toronto. I think this really expanded their audience. You could barley move in that place and I think they pretty much had to stop playing there because it was too small a dance floor.

They did a show there in December, 2005 (which I recorded; go get it here) and you're right: it's a tiny venue, long and narrow, without a stage, just a little space on the floor that, when you move the tables out of the way, can be occupied by some musicians. Seeing/hearing them there, maybe three feet from, and on the same level as, the band, was immense, and I could tell that it was sort of their "home bar".

Aloha,

Brad

Our Tueday night shows were the best thing we ever did as a band. We were extremely fortunate to have a venue like the Whipping Post in town. Lance basicly just gave us a green light to do whatever we wanted with the night. It gave us the opportunity learn how to play together, to learn how to improvise and really to learn how to play. That residency did more for my playing than anything.

What was different about the Tueday shows was that we tried to really "go out there" and break new ground. We figured that we had only a certain amount of songs and that if people were going to come every week it wouldn't be to see us do the same songs every night.

Ahh, so many great memories!