Jambands.ca

Fate of Can Jam?

zero

I agree with Blane. All those bands are 'jambands' in a sense. What about the old Kitchens and Bathrooms in Hamilton, or now The Battleship Ethel or the Put on Your Drinking Cap collective? Post-rock is a jam scene, and there are loads of bands, here and abroad that are creating interesting music. iLiKETRAiNS, friends of mine from Leeds on Fierce Panda in Canada is a perfect example. What about The Cat Empire as well, incorporating cuban rhythms like The Motet used to do? God, I could go on...

Please do go on .... with links.

Post-rock definitely seems like an answer to revitalisation, but it's accessability is somewhat limited in certain applications.

I will use your comments Shain to move into our bands approach and what our collective theory on writing is...hope it make s sense.

Weirdly I am very calculated when it comes to our repetoire. I think it comes from listening to people around here and their likes and dislikes. I figure writing tunes is coming fairly easyish right now so why not try to get people some sounds I know their looking for. Being in this band has not ever just been about my likes it's about what people feel when they are at a show.

We wrote a couple of post-rock tunes, but they have certain elements that only certain types of people will like i.e. maybe just musicians or music aficianados, so we make a concious decision to go back to some funkier roots so as to not freak everyone we just got on board out...there's a point here.

I think the approach of writing an eclectic mix of tunes could be a key to revitalisation of our scene, and possibly the approach that bands need to embrace more for the kids to pay attention more.

It's no secret that with the advent of the internet that everyone's knowledge base has expanded and in a few short clicks you can move from topics like war, fashion, some kid hitting himself in the head, sports, jazz, some tribute band, jam, indie, and philosophy. It's the new status quo that people want a plethora of options provided to them by their info source.

I think the music needs to reflect this to a certain degree, not being able to be pinned down into a genre does not worry us, it used to be something to be wary of....you're spreading your resources to thin!!!! careful! Well people aren't the simple anymore that they just want the same sounds out of their same bands I think.....the music needs to go to them in this fashion.

One more point before this enlightening discussion is over....

I think that it is laughable that a bunch of people in thier 20's and 30's are discussing the fact that they are "old" or who's older and that age is somehow a factor.

Age has nothing to do with it. Life choices do. If you decide to settle down have kids, get married and sign a morgage, then you are tied down. That could happen at 23 or 53.

Citing age is and easy way out and to lean on it, is to not address the real problem. The problem being, not egnough people in the country/scene, the counrty is too big to tour financially, and the music industry supports nothing but the mundanely mainstream.

Age is a fact of life, you can allow it to decay your hope, wil and drive or you can allow it to empower you with wisdom, knowledge and confidence.

Once and for all I don't think I would call anyone on this board "OLD". I believe everyone here is in the prime of thier lives. Don't waste that precious time thinking it's already over.

Edited by Guest

I blathered a p0age behind...took me a while and when I returned there was a page 5...maybe go back if you're interested.

True-say Chameleon. Age aint nothin but a number yo!

Mind you I just signed a mortgage so I hope I'm not fucked. I don't think so.

I think using internet resources well, having a group of friends in many different cities, picking your spots well on the gig front so that band-morale stays up, and recording is the new tour tour tour tour approach.

Cheers

Deeps

cool man.. i Feel like a guiser sometimes. But thats usually after 2-3 days Danc'in.... I know i think the term old is more like Settled down/Tied down.. Cuz thats what old ppl do.. This thing all about havn kids and a morgage and playing guitar not payin the bills.. If I won millions all of us would live like rockstars and we would have pool side stages all over the place. and then all you musicians I fancy so much would have more time To evolve. Yeah!!

I find these days that most fans of 'jam' music, are actually just fans of 'live' music

yea definately. great point...while I am a huge fan of most 'jam' music I love going to see live music more than anything...it can be folk, bluegrass, rock n roll, funk, afro beat, jam, indie, jazz, hip hop...whatever, as long as it makes me feel good and want to dance a whole bunch then sign me up! My heart and soul will always be with the dead but listening to the dead just opened up this awsome world for me that is live music.

Great post Jeff.

This thread is great. To Deeps, and Chameleon:

Your enthusiasm is great to hear. I know you say that the country is to small but its obvious that you guys have a youthful fire that makes you interested in trying. When I say youthful, I'm not reffering to age necessarily but to the enthusiasm you have for a possibility that you guys can "bring it". It hasn't been beaten out of you by working you ass off on the road for years.

The road can and will, try to kill you. I promise.

I dare anyone to go out, make "Canadian Jamband" your living and come back and talk about how its all a state of mind and how you just choose not to be "tied down".

Eventually, its nice to:

1)have a place to live

2)be able to pay your rent/mortgage for this place

I'm not sure if this comes with age. I think it actually comes from years of sleeping on floors. So your right 23 or 53 doesn't matter it just depends at which time in your life you spent 250 nights a year driving across a baron wasteland sleeping sitting up and living on $10 a day.

I guess it's that time of year where this discussion is had yet again. Luke I don't know why you keep bringing it up when the responses are either the same, or the "state of the scene" is declared worse than the previous year.

I'm mostly just interested in seeing a good show and finding something interesting to listen to once in a while. I'm pretty psyched up because in our new house we've re-oriented our living room for better record and cd-listening....though to stay on message I haven't put on any contemporary canjam (or jam) for months and months.

I'm in a big singer/songrwriter period right now...found a Jackson Browne live album at value village for $1.69 and it's pretty damn good. Yesterday I threw 1999 on and that was pretty much the first time I've listened to the entire album non-stop.

Anyway I don't really like jambands anymore although the slip can still raise an eyebrow for me.

True.... age shouldn't be a factor. While I'm not as good at doing 45 hour drives anymore or surviving on $20 a day, I don't think being 31 has affected my fingers or love of music too much. Hopefully it's only improved them! I speak of age only because I've been at this for 10+ years and have noticed the differences from then and now in myself, my friends and the scene.

Does that sound like an old guy defending his age or what?!? ;)

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty.

great record.

great account of what the "road" experience was for him.

And some blistering slide guitar (pedal steel' date=' I think, though it might be lap steel) from David Lindley.

Aloha,

Brad

To be perfectly honest Brad there's a bit too much slide on the album...but parts of it really do shine.

Was it David Lindley who played in the steel summit at Blluesfest...last year I think? That whole set is still a knockout for me.

Great post Jeff.

Eventually, its nice to:

1)have a place to live

2)be able to pay your rent/mortgage for this place

Something I know too well and something I'm not willing to forfeit. I don't think it makes my road any less respectable though.

I spent 35 weekends a year playing gigs with a band while in highschool while trying to make grades and keep some friends.

i tooka look around at the musicians I was doing this with...they were often 35+ and if the band broke up they were screwed. They'd have no investments and essentially would be flat busted.

I was at @ crossroads and decided to go to school for computers instead of music and I'm glad I did. I have a lot of respect for the vertical sleepers, but i know if I joined their leagues I'd likely have ended up with liver failure and some other drug problems that I currently don't.

Do I wonder what if?....no. I pick up my instrument and play what I want to play every time....I can afford a house....and to take my girl to dinner once in a while....that to me is livin.

If this band accelereates it will have to be able to provide me with the same quality of life that I have chosen for myself otherwise they'll be no departure.

This being said I have a flexible situation because I can work from a computer so playing a lot of music is quite possible.

Anywho...cheers to musicians, and fans who travel and take their disposable income and invest it in this beautiful culture where money isn't the only thing that matters, and sharing good times and good sounds is paramount.

See you in Ottawa on Friday if you can make it to Zaphod's.

Was it David Lindley who played in the steel summit at Blluesfest...last year I think? That whole set is still a knockout for me.

I think so. Lindley did a solo set one day, and was part of the summit the next day (which I missed).

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added quote.