Jambands.ca

Fate of Can Jam?

zero

Many good points.

Another is that the rise and fall of musical scenes are often tied to generational shifts. Right now, we are caught in a shift that has yet to take place.

Never before has a generation had the influence, the money and the numbers to keep their musical scene so dominant so far past its prime.

I daresay the Stones will make more in 4 Canadian shows (Regina-2/Vancouver/Halifax) this year than every Canadian band from the Tragically Hip to the Practically Hip combined.

Talk about it.. I was listening to a Fat cats show i was at back in 93 with Dianna.. That Was Really Really Sweet.. and THe cats Have changed quite a bit over the Years. They Sound Wicked Awsome now. did back then. I love CanJam and even if know one Bears the torch to stardom Its still Going to Be Kick ass Music and will evolve. It was really Cool to see Nero in Relix... actually Gave me somthing to talk about with my amarican friends..

CanJam Is Awsome. I like it Best. if it weren't for The Dead and There relatives i wouldn't even come here to the states.

"I think in general people just need to support live music and some fans need to get a mind and go see a variety of bands rather than what the keep going to see out of default." (Exactly Deeps)

(I don't know how to quote right.) and anything else ya wanna add)

Somtimes ya have to ask yourself if you have a goal or objective. Like what is it you are trying to do with your music. Make ppl dance, Think, tap there toes, Cry, bang your head, play with glow sticks, Throw Glow Sticks, or sleep. And if ya reach your Goal is there room for evolving. if there is can you break through the threshold and morph into some kinda other music/Vibe.

People being way critical of young musicians is a real way of not helping the scene. Young doesn't mean age either. The Best way to make CanJam the Best it can be. is Everyone Comes together plays music together, talk together and share.

Is there a final destination. I hope not.

-nattyMatty in need of A Phattie

I have so much to say about this topic, but I'm too pooped. I've had a long day. Got drunk last night and woke up with a giant gash on my shoulder and my health insurance here sucks, so I'm gonna ignore it.

Anyway, as Duke Ellington said, there is only two kinds of music, good and bad. We genre-tize bands in the media to make it easier to talk about them, and promoters label bands and stick them together, even if they don't sound the same, to try to get more bang for their buck and make more money. I hardly think WTTS and Kae Sun and Vanderpark sound the same, but we played together.

The Jam scene was almost a small tributary surrounded by a big ocean of other styles of music that landed every now and then on land and exerted some sort of influence, be it afro-beat, jazz, bluegrass, whatever... The more we label, the more we constrict, and nowadays, we're no longer labelling as much (unless they are indie) so there is no need for a jam scene.

Also, all you fuckers are getting older and there is very little new blood in the 'scene.' Fuck, Dima's the youngest guy here and he's no torchbearer. Even I feel old. An aging scene means people get married and have kids and grow up and don't see shows as much, hence our sputtering 'scene.' I'm bleeding!

Edited by Guest

I also believe if someone is going to revive this thing they are not going to be Grateful Dead derived. No disrepect to the band, but they are pretty derivative of old music and come across as old fashioned to a younger generation; so when we celebrate a heavily rootsy bands at each and every festival we are not bringing in young crowds I'm sorry but it is in fact a detterent.

Long live the Dead! Yes, I realize that I am one big cliche. Nonetheless, I think it has been a very long time (meaning not within the last decade or so), that an up and coming "jamband" has tried to follow in their footsteps (around here anyways). I'm just speaking in regards to my own personal preferences, but I miss the organic sounds and inspiring lyrics that are often lacking in more "evolved" bands.... Perhaps a sign of the times....

And believe me this is not directed to any band in particular that may or may not be affiliated with this board. As I can dig a variety of sounds.... All I'm saying is I wouldn't count the "old fashioned" music out yet... I think it is still pretty inspiring to a lot of people. And gosh darn it all, it's exactly what the youngins need these days.

Okay so maybe I'm just getting old...

People around here were getting bent out of shape because the Fattie's didn't headline the last Come Together ... I celebrated ....

Ouch... harsh... although I suppose I see what you're getting at.

By the way, I've been really digging WTTS's sound lately. Easy to move to.... Well done!

Most of all I agree with NattyMatty, in that there is lot of great stuff floating around still, regardless of whether it is on the path to stardom or not. Whether it is sustainable even at the grassroots level, is another question...

since the Dead came up......

well, thankfully there'll never be anything old-fashioned about good songs, which the Dead had in spades. Further, to tie together two "biggies" within the "jam"-scene, Trey Anastasio once said something that I take to be 100% correct: that if you're going to take true inspiration from the Dead, you'll end up sounding nothing like them.

if you're going to take true inspiration from the Dead, you'll end up sounding nothing like them.

I guess that was the problem with Days of You. Every guitar riff out of Mark Thackway was just "borrowed" from Jerry.

I always loved that band, though.

(Well, in fairness actually, toward the end when Steve Himmel was more involved the sound became more Zappa-esque, but that was after the fist-fight between Thackway and Lowcock, and the band was already on their way out. I have to wonder what they'd sound like if they still existed today.)

Yea know how we can make this seen grow. is by hav'in a few flyers kicking around your car and if ya see a person that seems like they might get a kick outa one of these Kick ass events. Talk to them for a few minutes and if they seem like there not an asshole give them a flyer and tell them they will not regret it.

People around here were getting bent out of shape because the Fattie's didn't headline the last Come Together ... I celebrated ....

Ouch... harsh... although I suppose I see what you're getting at.

Yes I thought that might ruffle some feathers, but I celebrated for a couple of reasons.

1. Jimmy Swift took their spot...they are a younger band and thus should be allowed to carry the torch. The attendance and fun at the show was quite infectious to many.

2. The Fatties don't own headlining rights and I don't believe they ever thought they did, they are way too humble for sucha 'tude, but to be bumped (for lack of a better parlance) is good for a band, makes you start asking some questions that in all likelyhood will lead to energetic answers.....I would like to hear some new tunes out of the boys and I don't think I'm alone.

It's obvious I come from a different camp, but I'm marrying into the heady camp. Over the last couple of years I've grown fond of bands I wouldn't have given the time of day to. I can HEAR the Fat Cats now...i.e. I can understand Gatche's roll and dig it, and I love that their drummer is a madman, he doesn't fit the mould and this is great for fans and band alike, Dave Hill is solid in a way I've never seen, Josh is refreshing and Todd's from another frickin planet altogether.

JSB, Grand Theft Bus, Chameleon Project, WTTS, Lazlo Hollyfeld, and Jomomma as of recent have this not-drawn-from-anything-but-the-band's- collective-interpretaion-of-music-in-the-room-their-playing-it-in quality of sound, it's not derived it's created.

It's a sound that happens when you get together and play together a lot (AKA you're young and everyone's not married yet)and you get bored and kick your sound around. You're willing enough to take a lot of risks and because of this sparks fly...unfortunately you're gonna get an ember on you once in a while whilst watching....not too cozy I know, but something that everyone should experience don't you think?

The way I see it these bands are the new dry wood to burn on the fire BnB and the Fatties and Nero dug the pit for and got started, if people take some time to expand their tastes then we'll all be down with eachother's sounds...you'll have your favourites, but you'll love anyone making their own sound. Just pick up some wood and keep the fire going.

Something constructive out of you just once would be refreshing...and no constructive does not entail solely laying into my opinion.

BTW are you gonna drag your ass out on Saturday to Zaphod's so you can actually justify comin down on a guy with one leg?

I'll put you on the guest list and hopefully we can have a laugh at how under my e-skin you get.

Cheers [color:purple]fucker,

Deeps

Deeps I am confused..."Jimmy Swift is a younger band and thus should be allowed to carry the torch"

...those boy's have been around for a long time. I really don't think you should count bands out for being either too young or too old. That kind of talk is silly, and frankly ticks me off.

Many artists don't get any kind of success or respect until much later in their career. This business takes alot of perserverence and dedication!

Here's to the music from all the Bands of all ages...as tigger said, things do have peaks and valley's.

So concentrate on celebrating the music instead of worrying about the state of the "Canjam Scene", like it was once some kind of huge social/economic machine. It is what is has always been, an amazinglly friendly place to play and develop as musicians, far out of reach of the corporate bull shit that dominates most other scenes.

Are you telling me that I was the catalyst for a reasonable and probing discussion of the state of our culture? Slapthadfuggingdigouttayomouth.

I've gotta say that exchange between Deeps and Booche was worth the price of admission.

I can't remember who said it but the sagest response seemed to be the lack of a big dominant sojourning band. I know this is MK's feeling on the topic although he hasn't weighed in here. A high tide carries many boats. I liked what MarcO had to say about truly emulating the Dead and sound nothing like them. I still think there's another band or handful of bands out there in the distance that may unite this culture together but I also think these are great times for music and I love how heads have infiltrated every aspect of these diverse cultures.