Jambands.ca

Kung's letter to Exclaim!

zero

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deeps and Rev you guys need to grow a bit of a thicker hide. It's amusing to me that I take a trailer load steaming dump down the throat and you get your hackles bent over some perceived slight. I didn't mean anything ill by either of you just relax a little. You're both great musician/artists.

yelling at the orange to become an apple is...well....fruitless.

As simple as it sounds, this to me is the heart of the matter.

Perhaps what you need to do, Luke, is get together with couple of like-minded individuals (chives2 ?) & start your own publication. If there's an audience for it (and the response on here would seem to indicate there is), they will find you.

Start small.

New Pollution was started by Bryan Borzykowski (a writer for Chart magazine among other publications) and a few others who felt a need to highlight "new music." Their plan was simple: launch a website with a consistent look that would change each month or two. The format was also basic = 3 in-depth articles/interviews with new artists they liked + a short podcast of tunes from those artists for each edition. They applied the old adage, "If you build it, they will come." Waited to see if anyone did and now a year and 7 on-line editions later are ready to launch a print edition.

Took some time and effort, no doubt, but probably less than trying to change the publications they were already working for.

I'm with One and a hair on this one.

Doesn't matter how loudly you yell at the orange. It's sometimes better just to look for an apple.

ZeroKungLuke...you seem to love your role...however you would define it. There ain't no denying you get off on this shit..."the misunderstood ambassador underdog." What would you do IF people suddenly saw the world and music your way?????

Dr. J has given you excellent advice above.

The ambassador role is about welcoming and guiding folks into a music scene that may be new to them, not taking a sledghammer to them because they seem disinterested in your interests. Do you realize how MEAN some of your words are? Do you realize how they HURT others? You speak about your own hurt alot.....maybe try some empathy and re-read the stuff you've written. If you still find your position totally justified, then I too, bow out gracefully and wish you luck

Hold up I was about to respond to your little 'I'm a schoolteacher' and know the difference between a metaphor and a simile rant. What was it you chided me for and then took out after? Stand like lemmings. So before I respond to the reasonable part of your response I'll respond to the lame ass part of your response that you edited out. Let's forget for a moment that I tossed off that metaphor in less time than the last sentence. They stand like lemmings because the stage is in front of them blocking their way- in the absence of a stage they would be faced with a cliff and yawning chasm which they would all run towards and over.

God I can't believe I just did that.

Yes I realize that my words have been and are still on occasion hurtful. You seem to not realize the same yourself but so be it. Dr. J's advice is very good but vanity publishing or niche publishing is a bit of a fool's errand and without sufficient capitalization I'd never entertain such an endeavour. Maybe with someone else's capital but I'm no fool. If I did do something of that nature it would be an online/print collaboration and Skeleton Key (www.mypetskeleton.com) would do the work. They're big in the goth and darkwave communities and are world class new media producers.

I am working on the empathy thing. This thread is one giant endeavour as such. It's just when I get called out by self deluded individuals, hell when I get called out at all, it's natural to respond.

I think Jane you also need to take some ownership for the fact that the Come Together side of the jamband community is about as dead in the ground as it could possibly be. I'm sure you all had some nice drugged out beer busts in sketchy town this summer and I'd have a different impression if people actually talked much about the music. This is a commonly held opinion just no one wants to say it because they don't want to offend or disenfranchise (not a big concern of mine). It's a dead end scene, it's even a dead beat scene. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If I didn't break loose from that trajectory my life would be still going down the toilet as I'm suggesting it still is for a handful of others. Taking ownership is a bitch.

Luke, every mass market began as a niche market.

You have to start somewhere if you're serious about doing this, but based on the last part of your post and your response to CJ, I'm beginning to doubt that.

So whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best, but like the Rev and others I'm getting out of the way.

I really don't get you guys. I really don't. You can't be everything to everybody. I would say even with all of the criticism I receive I still have an overwhelming amount of support from this community.

I'm not sure I get your Point Dr. J. Did you think that I was going to do a giant glossy Jambands publication called JamaDoodle? Do you think that I closely identify with middle aged Dead cover bands? I closely identify with the Dead and their living spirit. That living spirit to me just looks a lot more like Shout Out Out Out, Holy Fuck and Green Go than it does Caution Jam to me.

I find it sort of funny again that I am supposed to shake in my boots because GoodRev, Calamity Jane or you think I need 'all the luck' I can get. Luck I've got in spades (and dice). Even if my luck is good it's bad (meant to say bad it's good but that works too of course). That and frankly I've been intimidated and dismissed by far more compelling individuals some with stature. That and at least I don't have to hide behind some avatar to make public prognostications.

Edited by Guest

I would say even with all of the criticism I receive I still have an overwhelming amount of support from this community.

That you do, Luke. Thank you for being a fresh gust of wind blowing through a dusty old saloon.

I really missed your contributions to this board when you were absent. I hope you don't push some of these nice and well-intentioned people too far, but having said that I sympathize with much of what you are saying.

Oh and as an aside, did I ever tell you all that Sam Baijal the Artistic Director of Hillside (the real brain trust) apologized to me about the whole Wooden Gun debacle (sincerely apologized for the whole weird trip). Sorry to take some of your much needed ammunition away I just thought it odd I hadn't pointed that out yet.

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

you can actually subscribe to this topic. I'm gonna try that and see what it does. I think you'll get email updates?

all right then.

while this post probably should have ben in purple, i have been enjoying the lively discourse, and no wi will enjoy being a "jambands topic subscription beta tester."

and fwiw, the very few times i have picked up a copy of exclaim, it has made a record fast trip to the recycling bin. i donm't know if adversarial was the right approach, but three cheeers to you luke for rattling their cages.

Oh and as an aside, did I ever tell you all that Sam Baijal the Artistic Director of Hillside (the real brain trust) apologized to me about the whole Wooden Gun debacle (sincerely apologized for the whole weird trip). Sorry to take some of your much needed ammunition away I just thought it odd I hadn't pointed that out yet.

I believe you have pointed that out previously.