Jambands.ca

strange happenings in the GTA this am

livingstoned

Here it is.

10 September 2003

A "powerful blast that shook Nanaimo [british Columbia] from stem to stern" early Wednesday afternoon [the 10th] was reported by the Globe and Mail Sept. 11th as probably from explosives, with the sound possibly refracted from some distance away. The CBC reported Sept. 12th that the cause "was likely a small meteor."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is.

10 September 2003

A "powerful blast that shook Nanaimo [british Columbia] from stem to stern" early Wednesday afternoon [the 10th] was reported by the Globe and Mail Sept. 11th as probably from explosives, with the sound possibly refracted from some distance away. The CBC reported Sept. 12th that the cause "was likely a small meteor."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is that suggesting that the sound travelled to toronto area as well?

It was loud. I have GM and the 401 just behind me and I figured it was something from there. Let the record state I live in Oshawa, so thats 50km from DVP/401 crossover.

Holy crap so now we're talking Etobicoke to Oshawa.

I'm not suggesting by any means there isn't a logical explanation I just have yet to find anything to suggest that one clap of thunder cover that distance with the same intensity throughout.

I'm just sayin'

although cyberhippie hasn't been around since he contacted airport authority and inquired about it - doodoo doodoo doodoo doodoo (to the tune of the twilight zone) ;)

Anyway I vote meteor.

Edited by Guest

From Weather-photography.com

Unusually loud thunder

Some storms produce CG lightning that sounds quite loud. Lightning can produce very loud booming thunder if the return stroke current is large or longer-lasting than usual. Two types of lightning that may produce loud thunder are:

* Cloud to ground lightning originating from the top of a thunderstorm. The lightning channel can be very long, much longer than cloud to ground lightning that originates low in the cloud. As a result, there is more charge deposited along the channel and the discharge current will heat up the channel more.

* Ground to cloud lightning, which sometimes initiates from tall objects such as transmitter towers or skyscrapers. In this case the current is very low (there is no return stroke) but lasts very long, and the channel is heated up more.

In both cases, the thunder may sound like a series of sharp booms similar to sonic booms. Every peal of thunder is associated with one part of the channel, the later peals from parts further away from you (i.e. higher up).

• 2 weeks later...

HMMMMM ... sounds like a similar event happened in the UK too! Come on conspiracy theorists, come gather around:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/6088008.stm

Mystery 'explosion' damages homes

Reports of a loud explosion on the north Cornwall and Devon border are being investigated.

_42244686_crackbignew.jpg

The bang was believed to have been a sonic boom

A number of residents reported hearing a loud bang between 1130 and 1200 BST around the Bude and Holsworthy area. Others said their homes were damaged.

Western Power and the British Geological Survey have carried out checks in the area.

Pc Baxter Proven of Devon and Cornwall Police said an investigation was under way into the cause.

He said: "One theory being considering is perhaps a military aircraft has broken the sound barrier a little too close to the land and that has caused this sonic boom and this, in turn, caused some light damage around the north Cornwall area."

'Physically shook'

One resident in Bude said a crack in her kitchen had widened as a result, and others reported experiencing their properties "shaking".

A BBC Radio Cornwall listener said: "The stables physically shook. It sounded like Concorde used to sound when it broke the sonic barrier. But much louder. It went 'boom, boom'."

A crack that was left at one home

_42244640_cracknew.jpg

Experts ruled out the possibility of an earth tremor

Western Power Distribution said engineers had completed checks and found no faults with its systems.

The Ministry of Defence and the RAF said there were no records of their aircraft flying over the area.

The Civil Aviation Authority said it was also unaware of the cause.

David Galloway from the British Geological Survey said the organisation checked its readings for the area after receiving several phone calls about the bang.

He said: "We've not got any signals at all from any instruments, and in fact we have instruments nearby at Hartland Point."

He added it was possible that it might have been a sonic boom, but although the equipment was geared towards detecting ground movement, it would sometimes pick up such disturbances as well.

He said: "Typically we'd register any ground movement but we have been known to have signals of a sonic nature to register."

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Edited by Guest

My farts can get quite loud and shake your house. IT's essentially a sonic boom' date=' but with 1000's of degrees of heat igniting compressed air.[/quote']

Well put. :)

Except it's not correct.

Can you elaborate Asparagus? It sounds like you know something about this; and I'm curious.

The shock wave formed by a bolt of lightning is an instantaneous burst of sound from a line source of air being energized to such a degree that the energy needs to be dissipated in one of several forms, including sound (mechanical). A sonic boom is caused by an object catching up to the pressure waves that it creates as it travels through the air causing them to constructively build up to a shock wave.

It is explained better here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder

and just because lightning is cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

lightening comes from space (the outer atmosphere more precisely, a fairly recent discovery)

there seems to be a lot more winter lightening these days, which I find strange... experienced the most powerful lightening storm I've ever been in a couple of weeks ago right here in hamilton... sounded like we were being shelled by artillery, lightening and thunder every second or two for almost a full hour... crazy

Edited by Guest
better knock knock knock on wood