Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pierre Lebrun reports Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey was handicapped at the trade deadline, trying to rebuild the Habs and at the same time keep them in the playoff race this season. While Gainey would've received a hefty return for high-scoring defenceman Sheldon Souray (a UFA at season's end), the Habs can't make the playoffs this season without him. Lebrun gave Gainey kudos for landing a promising defenceman and a first round pick for Craig Rivet last Sunday.

Spector's Note: Gainey's taken some flak for not acquiring a veteran goalie like Curtis Joseph or Ed Belfour, but he obviously wasn't dealing from a position of strength and the asking price for either guy was probably more than he wanted to pay. Gainey's gambling a bit on this season as his team is in danger of missing the playoffs, but he does deserve credit for not taking his eye off the long term future of his team. That won't mollify many Habs fans, but it's not going to affect the team's popularity or its gate.

It's easy to call the Habs short-term losers at the trade deadline because of what the Isles and Thrashers did. But Gainey kept all his kids got great return for Rivet. I still like them to squeak into the playoffs if they can get any goaltending at all.

IF I SEE HAB-ISCHER DO THE WORM ONE MORE TIME I AM GOING TO LOSE MY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK!

Hecht may have made the pass of the season thus far, if only I could remember other ones that blew me away like his did. Backhander, across the crease in the air right on Ryan's stick. A true beauty folks. Gretzky-esque.

Guest Low Roller

Alarmist Post Alert!

I think it's safe to say that Guy Carbonneau has done everything he can to completely demoralize Aebischer and Samsonov.

Guest Low Roller

I don't really understand why the Habs insist on having rookie coaches... Ever since they won the Cup in 1993 with Demers as coach, it's been Tremblay, Vineault, Therrien, Julien, and now Carbonneau, each of them rookie coaches in the NHL.

Oh well, In Bob I Trust.

Without pointing specific fingers, I tend to agree with William in that the core of this team is not playing with any consistency. How many coaches has this team gone through? It's time to look in the mirror and wonder where the problem really lies. Seems like MTL's most recent coaches are having moderate success with their current teams but had a difficult time with the Habs.

Internet rumour?

That is where I first saw it, sometime last at the end of last week. The whole thing was transcribed from what was supposed to be a Russian interview. At the time I thought "There is no way Kovalev is sounding off like this unless he is an idiot and wants to get immediately out of here."

It was pretty bad. He was quoted as saying the French kids are treated with more respect and that the Russians dont get any playing time.....blah blah blah. A bunch of that sort of shit. Nannigans all the way!