Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I said, and what I stand by, is that JFJ made a good gamble going for Raycroft. He had two good G prospects in Pogge and Rask - same age, same calibre, same number of years away from playing in the bigs - there was no way they would both develop in same system. So he dealt one for help now, and a former Calder winner.

Now Raycroft may not have set the league on fire, but he won 37 games! 37 wins playing for the Leafs!? That's incredible. Did you watch that team last year?

By comparison:

Raycroft - 72 GP, 37 W, 2.99 GAA, .894 SV, $2.00M cap hit

Huet - 42 GP, 19 W, 2.81 GAA, .916 SV, $2.875M cap hit

No one would be happier to see Raycroft fail than me. But quite frankly JFJ gave up a prospect for the guy that gave their lousy team a chance to make the playoffs last year.

DaveO's means of arguing because his rememories dont stand the test of time:

Christina Rahmer - Dave, can you grab this jar for me?

Dave - Why?

Christina - Because you married me?

Dave - How does that work again?

Christina - YOU SAID "I DO"

Dave - Dont put words in my mouth.

And any Habs follower has a raging boner for the kids down in their farm system because there are a number of solid prospects. Raycroft was a failed experiment. If he wasnt, we did they grab another starter?

Leafs lose Wellwood to hernia, again

Surgery On Saturday; Fitness regimen called into question by player's father

Michael Traikos, National Post

Published: Monday, September 24, 2007

Lack of conditioning may be the reason why Kyle Wellwood required abdominal surgery for the second time in nine months, surgery that could force the Toronto Maple Leafs centre to miss the first three weeks of the regular season.

After Wellwood missed 33 games with a sports hernia last season, head coach Paul Maurice instructed the third-year forward to hit the weights and get stronger this summer.

According to Wellwood's father, the 24-year-old took a different approach.

"He likes to take the time off to rest himself mentally," Rick Wellwood said in a telephone interview yesterday. "In the past that has worked for him. But maybe he's now going to have to do more in the summer ."

Wellwood underwent a minor revision to his sports hernia repair by Dr. William Myers in Philadelphia on Saturday. It was the same area that required surgery fon Jan. 24.

Reached on his cellphone yesterday, Wellwood said he was "doing fine" after the procedure, but declined further comment.

It was back in July where Wellwood's frailty became an issue with his head coach. Maurice likened the 5-foot-10, 180-pounder to oft-injured teammate Nik Antropov, and told reporters that Wellwood would have to get fitter and stronger in order to remain healthy and play meaningful minutes this season.

"That physical maturity, I think, is the thing for Kyle that we're hopeful for," Maurice had said. "He needs to physically withstand the rigours that come with playing on the high-end offensive unit."

Despite working with Leafs strength and conditioning coach Matt Nichol this summer, Wellwood seemed to accept that he would always be one of the smallest players on the ice.

"Am I one of the weaker guys? Yeah, I'm one of the weakest guys in the league, for sure," Wellwood said in July. "That's just my body type ? but I'm definitely fit enough."

Wellwood was part of a group that skated together in August at the Leafs' practice rink in Etobicoke, Ont. But it was not until training camp began that he started to push himself, perhaps because he wanted to fully rest the injured area.

As a result, no one--including Wellwood -- really knew how the groin would react until last week.

He reportedly tweaked the injured area in an exhibition game against Edmonton on Sept. 18. He has not skated since.

"Probably, if anything, he should have done a test," Rick Wellwood said. "He decided to do one before the beginning of the season and then figured out he didn't pass. Maybe he should have done that in the summer."

Doctors expect Wellwood to require three to four weeks of recovery time before returning to the ice. That would mean he would miss Toronto's season opener against the Ottawa Senators on Oct. 3 and could be out for another 11 games.

Considering he was pencilled in as Toronto's second-line centre, as well as a key cog on the first power play unit, Wellwood's absence could be a serious blow to the Leafs' offence. In 48 games last season, he had 12 goals and 42 points.

Toronto is also without off-season acquisition Mark Bell, whom the NHL suspended 15 games for violating the league's substance abuse program. As well, forward Boyd Devereaux has missed all of training camp with a foot infection.

"This is clearly not what we expected, but we'll deal with it and move on," said GM John Ferguson, who would not put a date on Wellwood's possible return. "He'll be back when he's ready and we hope that it's as quick as possible."

Wellwood's replacement could come from a group that includes Chad Kilger, Matt Stajan and Alex Steen, according to Maurice. The problem is Kilger has never scored more than 28 points in each of his 11 seasons, Stajan is better suited in a defensive role, and Steen has never seen regular time as a centre in the NHL.

It's unlikely a trade will be made to fill the void. "We've got players right here that will relish the opportunity to jump in," Ferguson said.

Toskala's got that "winning" attitude! :P

With him and Raycroft as the #1 #2 they're fucked.

They're even more fucked with Millions McCabe still on the ice. BENCH HIM MAURICE unless he proves himself.

I expect nothing out of this team this year. Christmas time should see JFJ ousted and Maurice on shakey ground if the players don't get behind him.

I expect nothing out of this team this year. Christmas time should see JFJ ousted and Maurice on shakey ground if the players don't get behind him.

Im just waiting this one out until Toronto's own Jason Spezza (who doesnt want to play for their hometown, the hockey mecca of the english-speaking world?) comes home and leads the team to the third round of the playoffs.

All i'm saying is that I'm not expecting much from them this year. That's NOT based solely on last night's game. Pre-season means little (except for stupid injuries).

With the make-up of the team, the blue line, and what the fuck's in net I just don't see a championship team.

As for freeing up room on the salary ... well Sundin will be gone soon (or take a further paycut to stick around) and Kubina and McCabe should be sent packing. That right there is MILLIONS of bucks.