Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

I dont understand how they keep emptying their bare cupboard. Didnt JFJ say last summer that they were going to start stockpiling their picks?

In todays NHL, you need to develop your players. Trading them away before you even draft them is not how you do that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Not to mention that I read an article just yesterday (possibly on Hockeybuzz) where JFJ stated that Raycroft was definitely going to be the #1 goalie in Toronto.

Rumour has it that the Leafs are building a team so that they can get the first pick in 2009.

Hilarious.

Toskala put up great numbers on a great team, and was basically SJ's number one goalie until he got hurt and Nabokov took his job back.

I like how in summary this has become Tuuka Rask and 3 draft picks for 2 'starting' goalies (one of which will be a FA at year's end) and a pure salary dump (Bell).

Do the Leafs really have cap space to re-sign Toskala after this season? Raycroft is on the hook for $2M this year and $2.2M in 08/09.

Personally, I don't believe anything that GMs, owners, etc. have to say to the press prior to a draft and the FA market opening up. Does anyone here actually think that they would show their cards before deals were going to go down? As much as i am not a fan of JFJ, I chose to ignore what he says since I'm sure most of it is red herring or plain old crap.

I see this deal as the first step in getting something for more trades/dealings. I'm hoping that JFJ is able to fennagle deals to unload McCabe, Kubina and Raycroft now. You make Toskala the starter with CuJo coming back to be his backup. THAT would free up some cap space and leave the team no worse off than they are now.

Whatever Kev. Read this awesomeness:

I'm confused.

I constantly hear in Toronto that the Leafs are committed more than ever to scouting, drafting, and development than ever before.

But assuming that the Leafs don't make a move today to pickup a first round pick, here is what they will have to show for the last FOUR drafts under John Ferguson:

ONE first rounder - Jiri Tlusty

ONE second rounder - Nikolai Kulemin

That's TWO players drafted in the top two rounds, going back to 2004. The year prior they also traded their first round pick along with former first round pick Brad Boyes in the Owen Nolan trade.

EDIT (from TSN): The first round pick is set for 2007, but if the player the Sharks want isn't available, San Jose has the option to move the pick to 2008 with a top 10 protection covering the Leafs. That means if Toronto's 2008 pick is a top 10 pick then it will slide to 2009.

First rounder traded for Brian Leetch

Second rounder traded for Glen Wesley

First rounder was Tukka Rask, later traded for Raycroft

Second rounder traded for Brian Leetch

First rounder traded for Toskala and Bell

Second rounder traded for Toskala and Bell

What's the point in investing in scouts if you don't keep your picks?

Toskala is 30 and has started all of 99 NHL games - never more than 33 in a season.

Bell will be 27 and set to earn $4.5 mil over the next two years. He's coming off a 21-point season where he spent time with the probably the best passer in hockey and has never broken the 50-point plateau.

Both could work out but are they cornerstone players?

Between 1998 and 2002 the Leafs had a first rounder each year and a second rounder each year. Not all their picks turned out but they still have guys like Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Colaiacovo, Pilar, Wellwood, Steen, Stajan, White and Kronwall to show from those drafts.

Can you really make the argument that the Leafs are building their team 'the right way' now?

Isn't it a little strange that the Leafs' two best players (Sundin and Kaberle) were brought in by Cliff Fletcher?

If the Leafs came to last year's draft willing to trade Rask (who ironically took major strides this year) plus their first and second rounders this year, it's quite possible that they could have landed a legit top 20 starter. Instead they made fairly significant trades (especially by Leaf standards) to bring in a goalie two years in a row.

What is the plan here?

Are they drafting and developing?

Are they sacrificing the future to make a run at the Cup?

Are they just making it up as they go along and trying to get back to the playoffs?

Guest Low Roller

JFJ should have stayed in the world of Mixed Martial Arts and left the GM'ing to people that haven't taken too many blows to the head.

ferguson_john250.jpg

shamrocksface.jpg

JFJ is a genius. He knows Raycroft sucks, and he can't win with him... so he's going to bring in a diamond in the rough. Bell was fun to watch when he was with the 67's... he benefitted big time by having Brian Campbell and Nick Boyton feeding him the puck though... maybe he can thrive with Kaberle and McCabe...

Who signed Raycroft? They should fire that guy.

I could care less about their popularity Jackass. The problem here lies with the fact that Kariya is no longer a finisher, he is not going to be their saviour and that report is simply a preference piece. It is grounded in nothing.

So the guy wants to see Kariya in a Leafs uniform. Who fucking cares? He should have sent this crap to Hockey Buzz, Hockey Trade Rumours or Hockey Leaks. Front page news should be front page news. All this article does is get a bunch of horny Leaf fans running around each other and slapping their dicks into one anothers arses.

• 2 weeks later...