Jambands.ca

The Slip?

OB1

i dunno, sometimes an early opening slot isnt the best way to be turned onto a band, what with a lack of atmosphere in the bar, and sound that isnt really their own - i know i've had that experience a time or 2.

im also pretty sure i'll be told my opinion is wrong, but whatever...

in other slip news - i got my pre-ordered Eisenhower discs in the mail yesterday, and let me just say that those advance release mp3's dont do this album justice at all.

play it loud when you pick it up - this thing gets better with every listen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm grateful but the multi band bill is frustrating. I think it came from the band 100% though. Fortunately for the promoters though Lovely Feathers have a lot of fans in Guelph- the only info out there in Guelph right now is word of mouth about Lovely Feathers playing (and some band called the Slip). That's another point- it's Nov. 22 and there's not a single poster or flyer up anywhere, no ticket location, nothing. I just hope they don't lose money as a result of poor promotion. Just putting the iron to the fire.

As to the 10 min. changeovers that NEVER happens. The first band will likely go on late, the changeovers will drag and it will come out as it did- I doubt it'll cut into a 90 min. set though. Unless someone is really cracking the whip bands just amble around listlessly. It's like herding cats.

I first saw the Slip at Phish's Oswego Festival in 99. They closed the side stage on the first night. I was blown away by the balls out intensity, musical chops (the drummer especially), and bought From the Gecko on the spot.

Fan for life (or until they suck!)

Exposure to new music is what keeps most of us interested in music, new and old. I don't know about you but I'm thankful for opening bands. They could be your favorite band a year from now.

See MMJ for details.

I first saw the Slip at Phish's Oswego Festival in 99. They closed the side stage on the first night. I was blown away by the balls out intensity, musical chops (the drummer especially), and bought From the Gecko on the spot.

Fan for life (or until they suck!)

Exposure to new music is what keeps most of us interested in music, new and old. I don't know about you but I'm thankful for opening bands. They could be your favorite band a year from now.

See MMJ for details.

QFT (quoted for truth)

I also saw The Slip first at Oswego. Only difference was that it was Friedman's Jaco-esque playing that had me mesmerized. I remember I turned to my buddy and said (jokingly) "this guy makes Mike Gordon look like a chimpanzee".... my friend was in such a Phish-enamoured state that he got quite offended, we still laugh about that to this day.

Oh and LOL at the herding cats reference, thats funny as shit.

personally too excited about having The Slip comin to my hometown (along with a few nearby towns) after a long wait to be upset about much!

having a few bands I'm not currently obsessive about start off the night sounds like a fine opportunity to enjoy a few beverages and catch up with some friends I don't get to see often enough... though if I end up really liking the opening bands I'll find some way to deal with it

Scottie, I got From the Gecko from a certain friend of yours who I will not name in a public forum that same summer, I think it was just after Oswego. I was visting him at the beach in the Bend one day and that was one of the CDs he burnt for me. Still in medium rotation (about once a month).

Funny though, I can't remember my first Slip show. Anyone have a list of all their Canadian dates? I think the first time I saw them was in Canada... hmmm

AD

I think my first show of theirs was 2002-11-24 at Le Swimming in Montreal; that was the show where they couldn't get across the border, went back, ditched their gear, came across as tourists, borrowed gear from the sound man (and his punk band), and proceeded to lay waste to everybody who was there.

I think my next time seeing them was in Ottawa, at Babylon with nero opening up, in mid-2003 (?).

Aloha,

Brad

hehe now i feel like complaining about the slip, just to piss off the whiners ;)

my first slip show was in tokyo and there were 4 or 5 bands on the bill, with the slip headlining. by the time the slip came on at about 4 a.m. i had a whole 26er of bourbon in me. halfway thru the set it was so hot that i blacked out, got dragged outside by my roommate, and puked unconsciously on my shirt.

finally woke up and my roommate was so happy cuz he thought i was dead, changed my shirt and tried to enjoy the 2nd set but i was a bit wrecked. went out for sushi at 6 a.m.

didn't make it to the show the next night...hehe

so yeah, i guess i'm not the biggest fan of multiple act shows hehe

I just want to say that the Barrymore's show is going to be better than any of the others. :P

cool..i plan on being there for that one!

I think my first show of theirs was 2002-11-24 at Le Swimming in Montreal; that was the show where they couldn't get across the border, went back, ditched their gear, came across as tourists, borrowed gear from the sound man (and his punk band), and proceeded to lay waste to everybody who was there.

that was my first too show too

here is a pic from the hotee in the Hammer last time The Slip were here..

bradmpogdk1.jpg

definitely. i had one like that at deckuf for nero when a friend of mine was working the bar. i finished off each almost empty bottle of liquor by chugging it straight from the bottle.

woke up at home, didn't remember any of the show.

great show.

I'm grateful but the multi band bill is frustrating. I think it came from the band 100% though. Fortunately for the promoters though Lovely Feathers have a lot of fans in Guelph- the only info out there in Guelph right now is word of mouth about Lovely Feathers playing (and some band called the Slip). That's another point- it's Nov. 22 and there's not a single poster or flyer up anywhere, no ticket location, nothing. I just hope they don't lose money as a result of poor promotion. Just putting the iron to the fire.

As to the 10 min. changeovers that NEVER happens. The first band will likely go on late, the changeovers will drag and it will come out as it did- I doubt it'll cut into a 90 min. set though. Unless someone is really cracking the whip bands just amble around listlessly. It's like herding cats.

i just got back from Guelph put a few posters up. witch then i told that your not aloud to posters in Guelph. some by law bullshit?

anyways there's flyers at the bar for you Luke, i drop off tickets for Guelph and Hamilton tonight get well there cheap. we'er only doing 100 adv tickets in both Guelph and Hamilton. after there gone door price only.