Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a six-pack of the Scotch Irish Brewing's Sgt. Major India Pale Ale last night, and found it has yet another reason to recommend it: stubbies! Yup, it comes in the old-fashioned short/stout bottles, which aren't twist-offs (IIRC, Heritage Brewing switched to stubbies, but they had twist-off caps).

Aloha,

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

from the ottawa citizen:

What's brewing in the pews? Jan. 3.

My wife and I were active members of the St. James Anglican Church's Gatineau congregation. With the dwindling numbers, we knew the time would come when this congregation would cease to exist. For more than 10 years, we dedicated hours of volunteer time to ensure that St. James as a building would always be a welcoming community place in Gatineau.

As a former people's warden of St. James, I am appalled that this former church building may be sold to a group of individuals who wish to turn it into a brewery pub.

This is incredibly sacrilegious since St. James was a major community meeting place in the Outaouais for those battling addictions (including alcohol).

In honouring all former members of the St. James congregation, I ask the diocese to say no to this offer of purchase and to any other that involves the major commercialization of this property.

A search must continue to ensure a non-profit use such as a community centre or theatre be found for the St. James church building that will dignify the contributions of the pioneers who built this community and worship space.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some damn fine Winter brews featured at the LCBO right now. Sammy Smith's Winer Celebration Ale is pretty tasty. I'm sipping on a an Innis and Gund limited Edition IPA right now. Quite nice. My favourte that I have tried over the past couple weeks is Fuller's 2007 Vintage Ale. Trafalgar Breweries has a nice Oatmeal stout available as well.

my folks brought me back a Longboat Double Chocolate Porter from Phillips Brewing Company, Victoria, BC when they were out at my brothers place last month. It was quite different than most beer (porters) I am used to..very chocolately after taste. I really enjoyed it, but it was a monster size bottle and doubt I could drink more than one at a time.

Not sure if you can buy it here in Ontario.

42093.jpg

I was really liking Lug Tread lagered ale from Beau's All-Natural Brewing Company while I was at Irene's Pub on Saturday. It's brewed as an ale (and a light one), then aged cold the way a lager is aged. It's not particularly hoppy, but is smooth and really refreshing. They list a bunch of places in Ottawa where it's available, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for it.

Aloha,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

First time I've come across this thread.

Currently I am sipping on one of my favorite domestic micro brews.

Camerons Auburn Ale

The are a brewery in Oakville, Ontario. I literally stumbled across it at a beer store a few years ago. Liked the packaging, comes in a 9 pack, but most of all I loved their slogan.

"Brewed by a connoisseur, not an accountant."

They also have a great lager and one other, might be a cream ale. Anyways, if you haven't tried it then go out and get yourself self some. Excellent beer. Especially, if you are a fan of Upper Canada Brewery quite similar but I enjoy Camerons more. My opinion anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on Camerons. I used to be all about the Creemore, but now I've found one better. Brewed in Barrie. Robert Simpson Confederation Ale

If you haven't tried it yet, DEMAND it, it will blow you away. I must say the perfect beer.

I used to be all about Cameron's Lager, the 9 pack was the perfect size for an evening, ha!

I always bring home a few cases of micro's home every time I visit Ontario. The last couple times the Camerons haven't fared well. It might be the unrefrigerated travel time, but it's been super skunky. I actually dumped the final 6 last time.

I bought a bottle (650mL) of Elora's "Oak Aged Rye" beer on the weekend, and it's pretty good, sort of Bass Pale Ale colour and consistency, without a lot of hops. The oak and rye are subtle, but there. It's a nice change, but it won't become a regular beer for me.

Aloha,

Brad

I always bring home a few cases of micro's home every time I visit Ontario. The last couple times the Camerons haven't fared well. It might be the unrefrigerated travel time, but it's been super skunky. I actually dumped the final 6 last time.

That's been my experience with Camerons and most of the craft brewers in the Southern Ontario region. Robert Simpson used to be my regular until I bought a couple of skunky cases.

A few weeks ago I went to a craft brew festival in Burlington with Rossalee. There were tons of tasty brews but the one that stood out was Denison's Wheat. Denison's used to be a brew pub in downtown T.O., but it went out of business. The brewer is still brewing out of Black Oak in Oakville. Chad bought a 1/2 keg for a little party shortly after- that was a fun night.

The other beer that stood out was a chipotle ale brewed by the guy from Pepperwood's Beer Bistro- the hosts of the festival. It had a real neat smokey heat aftertaste. I wouldn't sit down to a night of drinking it, but it was a neat example of some different things you can do with beer.