Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

I'm thinking of getting 12 Black Oak Pale Ales for New Year's Eve, although I may mix in some Tankhouse and/or St-Ambroise Pale Ale too. Man, those are all great beers. Hey, why not add in a can or two of Kronnenbourg 1664 while I'm at it?

What's everyone getting/drinking beer-wise for December 31st?

What's everyone getting/drinking beer-wise for December 31st?

I've accumulated quite a mix of beers over the past two weeks that I will be choosing from:

Dogfish Head 60, Brooklyn Lager, Leffe Blonde, Harp, Cobra, Becks, Sam Adams, Smithwicks and La Fin Du Monde.

And some bubbly in the fridge for hangover mimosas.

except the fecking green bottles!

companies that use green bottles drive me insane... so many brands that are so foten skunky– Heinies, Moosehead, Grolsch (not that people buy them in bottles much), Sleemans, Steamwhistle, Stella

AND the farther those bottles have to travel the more likely they are to be skunky.

Right. Back to my Guiness.

Beer,

db

according to Konrad Ejbich the CBC radio wine nerd, lots of imported beers are funky not due to bottle colour but to travel stress. European bottled beers have spent all sorts of time in shipping containers, particularly waiting to clear customs. this can take weeks, during which the beer warms, cools, warms, and generally gets weirder.

i can't explain moosehead using this theory. maybe people from St John like that taste.

We spent New Years in Portland, OR and I can honestly say that over the course of 4 days we sampled 60+ beers. That city is unreal! As well, and I say this with total respect, even the local gals were more beer knowledgeable than most of the people I've met in life.

The only negative we could find about Portland was that it was in America!

BEERSbeersBEERSbeersBEERSbeers

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the beers in Guatemala are weak tasting and really not worth it. I´m glad I found Moza though. It´s the only one worth drinking. Still, I miss Mexican beer.

And of all the Mexican beers that I miss, I miss Negra Modelo the best. Dark and tasty, worth drinking even in Canada, if you can find it.

negro%20modello.JPG

• 1 month later...

I picked up a bottle of St. Ambroise 2009 Vintage Ale today. It's strong (9.8% alcohol/volume), and the (341 mL; LCBO code 66027; $4.95) bottle comes in an off-white yellow cylindrical case. I couldn't find any info on it at McAuslan's website, but here's picture I found:

stavintage2009.jpg

I now have a dilemma: it's one of those beers that will, according to the label, "improve with age for a number of years", but I don't want to wait that long, because if I find out it's really good a number of years from now, I won't be able to get any more, but if I try it now, with an eye to buying more now (while it's available) if I like it, it may not be at its best (or even ready).

I guess I'll wait for or arbitrarily declare some special occasion in the very near future (next week, maybe...), and just go for it. I remember a wine expert saying it's always better to drink a wine earlier than when it's at its peak than it is to drink it later than when it's at its peak.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...