Jambands.ca

Name a useless fact about yourself

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does your brain function like a spreadsheet?

I'm just curious, because I think I would describe my own cognitive/organizational abilities as a pot of soup, spilled upon the kitchen floor and running in many directions at once.

When it's called for, I'm able to organize things pretty well. I don't know if my brain functions like a spreadsheet, but I do a lot of stuff in "list" form. For example, if I'm going on a trip, or preparing for a gig, I'll start a list (on paper, or in a text file) of "Things To Do", "Things To Buy", etc. Then, as I do stuff, or buy stuff, I'll put check marks beside what I've done/bought. I even put things on the list that I've already done/bought, and immediately check them off, both to make sure I don't do/buy them twice and because it improves my completion percentage. The list is also useful because ideas as to what needs to be done/bought pop into (and out of, sometimes) my head at random times, so the list is a kind of task-specific "memory," augmenting my brain.

Aloha,

Brad

^^^ did I write that? ^^^

I have lists everywhere all the time. In my wallet, on the fridge, at work, etc, etc, etc. The To-Do lists get separated into quick to-do's, to-do's that take longer, and to-do's that are ongoing.

I also add things to lists that have already been done. Checkmarks make me feel good. One of the worst things I ever had on a list was "Organize To-Do Lists." Yikes.