Jambands.ca

Priceline experiences

bouche

I'm looking at getting a room for Montreal on March 23rd for The Slip. I'm thinking of going the Priceline route. Is it worth it to start now, bid low on 4 star rooms, or just bid low on 3 star? How long do you have to just cancel and retry?

I see that you can't be set for 4-people rooms, so that kinda sucks.

How often have you got shit deals, a disappointing room versus KILLER deals with an over-the-top room ?

I used Priceline for the Ottawa nero weekend and ended up with a room at the Westin for $180 for three nights.

Two summers ago we got a room in Boston for two nights for $110 total.

I have nothing but good things to say.

As for bidding, start very very low (I am trying for a hotel in TO for Mar 30 right now and am starting my bidding at $40). The site will remind you that you are too low past the median price and just keep upping your offer by $1 until you find something.

Its a little nerve wracking without all of the details, but it always seems to work out.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

sean was at the marriot... the 'one bid a day' thing is false. - edit - maybe it's one city per day? what did it say on the website?

bouche, that weekend i saw you in montreal when you were staying next door, i bid on that place on priceline. i think i bid a 3 star for $60 or something; it varies from week to week what will be accepted.

it's definitely worth it.

when i went to boston in december, we got a room at the hilton (4 star) for $70 a night - retail price was $240.

if you don't care what hotel you're staying at, and you are definitely going to need the room (cancellations are difficult), priceline is a great way to save a ton of money.

edit. smoking rooms - all priceline does is get you a room, if you want certain things like smoking, number or size of beds, views, etc.. you have to set that up with the hotel after your reservation has been confirmed with priceline. so it's a crapshoot. if you get confirmed into a hotel with no smoking, you're out of luck

Edited by Guest
smoking is gross and will kill you

Also, I read something on their site about only being allowed to make one offer per day. Is this true?

technically, yes. it prevents you from simply starting at 35 cents and repetitively increasing your bid by a dollar until you get a room. realistically however, you can get around it by a) either "adding" new locations, or B) lowering the quality (star rating) of the hotel you want.

to rebid by adding new districts in the area (ie., north end, business district, downtown, whatever), you would additionally select another area that does NOT contain any, for example, 4 star hotels. this will allow you to rebid at a higher price by including new areas (that you know dont contain a hotel you'd want). its essentially a "free rebid". be careful, though, you only get as many of these rebids as there are additonal areas that do not contain a 4 star hotel. additonally, you can rebid just within the same area (ie., not adding suburbs) by now selecting 3 star hotels in addition to your original 4 star request. priceline will allow oyu to rebid, but only if you change your preferences.

the trick is to know beforehand what a reasonable starting price is for your hotel and begin there, then use your rather limited "rebids" carefully. check out the better bidding site. it explains it all there; contains various lists of how many 2,3,4 star hotels there are in each area within each city, and; gives listings of recent sucessful bids by others. VERY useful information.

as for smoking rooms. i think most rooms you get would be smoking by default, and you'd have to specify with the hotel directly that you'd want a non-smoking either in advance or on check in.

Edited by Guest

i think most rooms you get would be smoking by default, and you'd have to specify with the hotel directly that you'd want a non-smoking either in advance or on check in.

i'd think the opposite - many hotels are phasing out smoking rooms. anyways - doesn't hurt to call the hotel and confirm what you're getting after priceline confirms your bid. watch out for outrageous parking fees. don't know a way around that yet.

$25 for cancelling - difficult financially, that's what i meant above. $25 more than a normal hotel booking cancellation.

priceline is easy everyone! it will save you money!!

yes, but if you dont do it right, it could end up costing you a lot more than you had to pay.

oh, and just to blow your mind some more ... most prices change hourly. bid in the morning, denied. buddy identical bids later that day, accepted.

you want easy? go with kayak.

Edited by Guest

yes' date=' but if you dont do it right, it could end up costing you a lot more than you [i']had to pay.

good point

We got a 4 star in Montreal for Friday night on our first bid of $55 US - The Intercontinental, between Old and downtown Montreal. Total came to just over $70 with taxes, which is about $85 Canadian. A pretty good deal I think, only now I wish we had started lower.

All in all I was very happy with the experience and will definitely use priceline again! Thanks for the comments and advice.