Jambands.ca

EVOLVE FESTIVAL LINE UP ANNOUNCEMENT

Jay Funk Dawg

I have never been able to make it yet, but have always been impressed with the effort put forth in such a hard area to host a festival and in Canada.

I can remember the time I had the most respect for the promotion of this fest when I was handed a flyer at the last phish show, along with a well delivered pitch !!!

Good luck to its success.

OK kung leave jay alone. Here I am, the one you really want to attack. It's me joe.

First of all we were robded last year by conterfiters who took us for 70,000 plus.

Second of all there are 4 bands and 5 djs left to pay all they others we have slowly been paying off 2 bands and 2 djs a week.(not sure how this is any of your bussiness.) thats right we have almost payed everyone off. Still a few to go, but we are working on it.

Third this is the 5th year in a row that you have attacked us on web boards, for various reasons, all because we will not give an ass like u a guest pass.

Forth i'm going to assume that you are refering to my friend who was hit by a truck on his way home. He tested for drugs and a small amount of pot was found in his system, and small amount of alcohol, and for you, who know nothing about him, to even refer to his death as my fault or even his fault makes me want to come find you. if i ever here u say anything about him like that again i will. LOW BLOW EVEN FOR YOU. No one has ever died at evolve from drug use. It just goes to show how full of shit you are.

As for the boys from BN you have the right to be mad, but you just talked to me this week and i proimised that i was taking care of you now not jimmy. and i told you that u would be getting paid this week. which was all good with jeff at the time i think u guys should communicate with each other better.

IN 8 YEARS THIS THE FIRST YEAR THAT WE HAVE EVER COME SHORT IN PAYING ACTS.

we have worked our asses of to help the smaller acts get good promotion. BERT BOYS how many shows have we done together here in antigonish. you were payed for everyone of them. THANKS FOR KICK WHILE WERE DOWN! is guess it is easier to remember the 1 bad thing over the countless good things we have done.

in 3 weeks evolve will be DEBT free and ready to go again! nothing you can do can stop us KUNG.

Good to hear all sides.

Good luck and much success with everything EvolveGuy!!

Gawd, Luke, you a huge looser. Joe if you wana find him just call me and I'll send you in the right direction.

Please take that looser luke off the board, I can't even use the ignore feature to get away from him.

Luck no one cafres what you have to say, or think. we all know you a bitter wack job, who gets off on attention.

go check you self back into some loony bin, or move to england and do us all a favour

conterfiters who took us for 70,000 plus.

just wondering, what did someone counterfit and how for that amount of cash? if the story should not be told on a public message board, no need to answer, just curious.

as for 'the masses', if its not personal ie. like the response of evolveguy, why dont you just not respond? better than negative after negative after negative after negative after negative post. IT ALL GETS REPETITIVE.

i think, without a doubt, my most negative post,

dancingbear

I was not going to but he accused me of harming a very close friend., and called him a drugy. he was the furtest away from that as you can be. HE was a beautiful human being, and i would defend him any day. as for the rest its not negative people diserve to know how we are dealing with our artists. They work hard, diserve there money. all we could do when put in such a sitution was work as hard as we could to fix the problem. which we have done.

I JUST HOPE PEOPLE CAN SEE THAT WE DO HATE MUSIC!

Luke i still won't give you ticket for evolve but pick anywhere else in the world.

You know what I honestly have no fucking time to read Joe fucking Maceachern's blah blah theory about how fucking somehting.

Seriously I've known Jimmy a long time, he was even a waiter at the Granite Club where Cully and I are/were members although I didn't know him then I did go to university with James Lloyd his good friend. Many many mutual friends.

Jonas is a minor god in my mythology and will be a character in Last Atlas Honky Fall.

Joe's the, uhm, yeah the silent partner.

Jay's the really bad and peppy publicist.

And you're the community apparently who doesn't think that bands who travel all the way across the country for a $300 gig should get their - I don't know= $300 bucks a year later.

They totally avoided this creditor shit. I gave them the world never said peep even though Shoreline did the same shit.

Hey you don't want to get ripped off. Run a fucking professional festival. Get a fucking clue, a site plan, a pro manager, security guards that aren't covert dealers and like a fucking life.

People die dumbass.

Wait I got through it, this part's classic. The cunning brilliance of the Cleary flake factor- the Joe drug factor and the Antigo Nowhere factor combined with an unfathomable grant from the Nova Scotian gov't - you know I wrote a LOT of those things BEFORE jay and I even met. You know like when I ran the biggest promotional event in Canada for Playboy On Campus at the World Trade Centre in Halifax - I was 19 I think. It was a national news story.

Jay Cleary represents God Made Me Funky.

Back to your little fucking cracks about clean socks and stealing candy bars from Couche Tard.

The fucking Couche Tard's are killing the Canadian music scene - stealing from the Couchetard Corporation is essential. Besides if you're a Gypsy and you steal food it's taking not stealing.

That's not the guy I'm talking about. You have no clue what you're talking about I'm sure there have been countless sexual assaults, molestations, heavy fucked up shit that basically I could drum up by breathing lightly from Guelph so by all means clap off.

I'm actually just sort of relishing the blithe hypocrisy of all of you.

Governance anyone?

Ah Jeez. [color:purple]Way to go Mike. :crazy:

We've got nothing but respect and appreciation for all those involved in helping bring good music and good times to the masses in the form of the Evolve festival. I can't even describe the admiration I have for Joe, Jonas and Jimmy... and any of the promoters out there who take a chance on us bands and stick with us through shit and sunshine. Things don't always go the way we all plan them to, but luckliy we've got a good community of friends and family who stick it out and do their best to continue on with the struggle of being a musician and promoting music.

What's personal is personal. Our shit is getting worked out and doesn't belong here. These guys are our friends, and if anything our patience and understanding is testament to that. Evolve deserves no bashing!!

Best of luck with this year's festival. Brazilian girls and Lotus are awesome! And hey! - there we are at the 2nd Evolve in the picture in Jay's initial post!

Jeff

I'm really dissapointed in you Luke. We go way back and I think your behaviour lately has been so erratic & strange, I really am having a hard time with your constant accusations and cryptic posts.

Our paths have crossed many times and we have shared ideas and good times. We actually met at a BNB show in Halifax at the Graywood, I was covering the show for The Dal Gazette. Those were great days in Halifax as we were all bubbling with ideas & possibility.

As the Evolve phenomenon blew up, something changed and you have had some beef with our success. You've slagged the DJ line-up on Jambase.com, which Evolve Guy has been tireless working every year, and which was totally uncalled for. Evolve has a legacy of great DJs, and is known internationally for it's ground-breaking line up. ( Mark Farina, Doc Martin, Dj Dan, M0S7, Kid Koala, NERAV, Simply Jeff, Donald Glaude, Sonny D, Bassnectar -- these are some heavy names! You've slagged the event as a drug fest, you've personally criticized the staff. Like whoa!

We go through this same argument every year. What motivates you to be so angry at Evolve? I feel you maliciousness is coming from a really dark place, and i do feel sorry for you.

But I feel a lot of this stems from a festival you tried to get off the ground around the time of Evolve when you lived in Halifax. A corporate sponsored event, with great big headliners, you had talk of getting Phil Lesh... sponsors such as Greco, land in Truro...

Then you had a breakdown in Halifax, that's when things started to get ugly. From my estimation you think that the world revolves around you, and that you are the grand master of the so called jam -scene. The reaction I get from you is that you hate the festival's success. From someone who is claiming to be the saviour of the scene, you actions are aiming more towards the catalyst of it's undoing.

Here is the list of live performers who have played Evolve, Fans you make the decision is this is a professional, internationally appealing festival:

Past International performers include:

Michael Franti and Spearhead (San Francisco, CA)

Medeski Martin and Wood (New York City, NY)

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra (NYC)

Mike Gordon & Ramble Dove (Burlington, VT)

The Slip (Boston, MA)

Vorzca (Burlington, VT)

Mark Farina (San Francisco, CA)

Doc Martin (Los Angeles, CA)

Steve Kimock (Bethlehem, PA)

Surprise Me Mr. Davis (Northern California)

Jungle Brothers (New York City, NY)

DJ Harry (Boulder, Colorado)

Notable Canadian Artists who have performed at EVOLVE include:

The Trews (Antigonish)

The Rheostatics (Toronto)

Luther Wright and the Wrongs (Kingston)

Bulfrog w/Kid Koala (Montreal)

The Jimmy Swift Band (Halifax)

Chris Brown and Kate Fenner (Toronto)

Wassabi Collective (Nelson, BC)

Burt Neilson Band (Thunder Bay)

Stephen Franke and the Noises From the Toolshed (Victoria)

Nero (Ottawa, ON)

Tala (Montreal, PQ)

High Plains Drifter

Chris Colepaugh and the Cosmic Crew (Moncton, NB)

The Chameleon Project (Toronto, ON)

Caution Jam (Toronto, ON)

Les Paiens (Moncton, NB)

Hot Toddy (Fredericton, NB)

Andru Branch & Halfway Tree

Be Good Tanyas

Edited by Guest

...apparrently even with 'the please fuck off'(ignore user) switch on in my account Lukes fucking dark shadow seeps in.

I hear ya, but it is a vast improvement. Two ignores... one person. In a community with hundreds of users... i'd say that's pretty significant.

Evolve is certainly not perfect. But they're trying, and they are addressing a need. The community WANTS music. And they do deliver to the fans.

I'm the first to say that money, budgeting, and absoving debt is VERY important... but just cause an event has trouble with accounts does not negate the total affect the event has at filling the demand for music. An events sucess is not solely based on the colour of ink used in the ledger... and I'd say that this year's event does well to avoid the issues that may have handicapped the festival at last years edition.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Lord knows it ain't easy.

I just want to say as a past performer at Evovle, that Evovle was a great experience for my band, the Chameleon Project, and we were treated like family by Joe, Jonas and Jimmy.

Joe and his girlfriend Parnell were kind enough to put my band up in their own home for days and were entirely gracious...and at the time we were total strangers.

Our experience at Evolve was awesome and we played to a friendly enthusiastic crowd and the festival was very well run, even compared to much larger American festivals I have been to.

And yes we did get paid...almost immediately after we played...

The Evolve crew treated us like professionals at all times and helped expose us to a greater market out East....even though we were by no means a marquee act. Even so they had the confidence in us to slot us on the same stage with headliners, the Vorzca trio and Steve Kimock in that order.

I acknowledge that there may have been financial troubles that I am not party to, but the organizers of this festival and Jay Cleary do thier best to provide quality jam-band/Dj talent to a part of the counrty that would never see it.

In closing Evolve is a credit to the Canadian underground music scene and a model I hope spreads to other parts of Canada.

Thanks Joe, Jonas, Jay, Jimmy and all the Evovle crew from THE CHAMELEON PROJECT....hope to see you all again.

...and Luke play nice already!

hey eg,

just so you know when i said negative after negative after negative ....i was not referring to the financial or other mishaps relating to evolve (i really am not that well connected in the 'scene' and my only info is from this board. in other words i take everything i read with not only a grain of salt but a shaker worth).

rather i was referring to the constancy of luke making a post and the next 10 posts bashing him. it just gets too much. with that said as i mentioned in my first post, i do exclude you from that list, cause obviously if its a personal thing you SHOULD respond, and others who feel its personal should respond. i would do the same.

just wish people who are not involved would not respond with such negativity. i hope, people would either ignore it, or try to help, albeit, once again, while maintaining, defending and preserving their own (and friends) credibility and truths along the way.

hope i made sense. i'm big into communication and just wanted to clarify.

a hug, from a phan of music to someone who helps disperse it,

spencer

Don't you look at me so smug

And say I'm going bad.

Who are you to judge me

And the life that I live?

I know that I'm not perfect

And that I don't claim to be.

So before you point your fingers,

Be sure your hands are clean.

Judge not

Before you judge yourself.

Judge not

If you're not ready for judgement. Woah oh oh!

The road of life is rocking

And you may stumble too.

So while you talk about me,

someone else is judging you.

Judge not

Before you judge yourself.

Judge not

If you're not ready for judgement. Woah oh oh!

The road of life is rocky

And you may stumble too.

So while you talk about me

Someone else is judging you,

Someone else is judging you.

-Bob Marley

n.b. We don't know who you are Kung-Fu/Cool Hand Luke, but you seem like the kind of person who didn't get enough attention as a child or perhaps an abusive upbringing. Please don't stay mad at the world forever! We think you should stay at the Granite club and fraternize with them instead of wasting your valuable time here. Oi vey!

peace,

4:20

You know like when I ran the biggest promotional event in Canada for Playboy On Campus at the World Trade Centre in Halifax - I was 19 I think. It was a national news story.

Are you talking about the Playboy rave/party at the Halifax WTC circa 97-98??

Edited by Guest