Jambands.ca

WKRP in Cincinnati DVD out today: BEWARE

Jaimoe

One of my favorite shows too. What exactly have the done to the original series in this DVD that is so bad?

The episodes are cut a bit, and a lot of the music that was included in the episodes as they were originally aired has been replaced with other music (not just alternate versions of the original songs, completely different songs).

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the Scum Of The Earth was played by Michael Des Barres, who was later a cast member on the (justifiably) short lived New WKRP.

Here's a little mini-bio of Michael. It seems he has crossed paths with some rock "legends" as well:

Former British hard rock singer and front man of the 1970s Los Angeles band Detective, who were one of the featured acts on Led Zeppelin's Swan Song label and were produced to sound as much like Led Zeppelin as possible. A longtime friend & confidant of Led Zeppelin leader Jimmy Page, Michael Des Barres married Jimmy Page's longtime girlfriend, the notorious Rock groupie, Pamela Des Barres, herself also a former girlfriend to WHO drummer Keith Moon, composer Todd Rundgren, and experimental rocker Frank Zappa. She was also a former-member of the famed 1960s groupie clique "The GTOs." The couple had one child, a son named Dean.

Michael Des Barres has appeared on television and film a great many times and is considered quite a skilled actor. Indeed, he is probably much better known as an actor, having made appearances on highly rated television shows like "Roseanne" (1988), "St. Elsewhere" (1982), and especially as "Dog" on "WKRP in Cincinnati" (1978), where he and Detective actually performed. He also did terrific work in a recurring role on "MacGyver" (1985) as Murdoc, a demented assassin bent on killing the title hero. In the 1980s, he briefly fronted Duran Duran offshoot Power Station.

Loved that show...moments of absolute genius...

Its really to bad they couldn't release them as is...they have screwed over a few great shows by replacing the music...Anybody watch Platoon? On the DVD there is no Paint it Black as the theme song...there are also more songs missing, but thats the most obvious...kicker is, they don't even mention it on the DVD case.

Johnny: Gripping music, huh?

Mr Carlson: Yeah, that's good all right. What's the name of that orchestra?

Johnny: Pink Floyd.

Mr Carlson: Oooh, is that Pink Floyd? Do I hear dogs barking on that thing?

Johnny: I do.

Herb: Bailey, Bailey Bailey Bailey, "You can have it" is just a figure of speech. People say it all the time. It doesn't mean anything. It's like "Thanks a million" or "So's your mother."

Bailey: It's my painting Herb, thanks a million.

Herb: I really don't believe you. I just don't believe you. You come in here every morning in your freshly pressed outfits and your freshly scrubbed face, and you sit there all day hardly speaking above a whisper, and then, when a man is vulnerable, shaken, upset, you just reach out and rip from him what is rightfully and fairly his. Bailey, I'm just so, so disappointed.

Bailey: Herb, so's your mother.

My favourite is when Les preached about music to Venus during a lecture Venus was giving to a tough gang-banger kid:

Les: If the Beatles are the construct of modern music - and I use that word "construct" incorrectly - surely they were given birth to by Elvis Presley, a giant for sure, but the product of the black experience. Ergo - and I use that word correctly - blacks created modern music! Scratch an Allman Brother, and you have black. Scratch Billy Joel [pronounced Joe-well], and you have Howling Wolf! I could go on, but my mother is in town. Let's just say that every white rock and roll musician working today should take half of his or her paycheck and mail it directly to Chuck Berry. At least that's what I think, and I won't even go into jazz. Arnold, enjoy your visit to the station. Venus, nice visiting with you too! (He waves goodbye enthusiastically and exits.)

Fack! I wanna buy the DVD set now! It's just the music they replaced, right? They didn't cut any scenes? I realize the music is important but if this is the only way it's ever going to be released then better than nothing.

No Ollie, they cut key scenes and dialogue, plus some contraversial words. You can google WKRP and you'll find a site that lists all the changes. It's staggering. BTW, it's not just the DVDs. All the reruns that air on TV are chopped and the DVDs will be identical to the current rerun versions.

Bailey trying to get Johnny out of the room: You have a phone call on the bullpen phone.

Johnny: Sure I do.

Bailey: She said her name was "Baby."

Johnny: Uh huh.

Bailey: And that she has a boat.

Johnny: A boat?

Bailey: Yeah. Twin engine inboard.

Johnny: Twins?

Bailey: She said she really likes listening to your show, and she wants to know if you like ... cutoff jeans, skinny-dipping and, um, getting weird?

Johnny: Getting weird.

Bailey: That's what she said.

Johnny: Bailey?

Bailey: I'm tellin' ya, she's on the phone!

Johnny: Uh, B-side, 3rd track, just (?). I'll be gone for just a minute, okay? It sounds like a coded message for help!

My favourite is when Les preached about music to Venus during a lecture Venus was giving to a tough gang-banger kid:

Les: If the Beatles are the construct of modern music - and I use that word "construct" incorrectly - surely they were given birth to by Elvis Presley, a giant for sure, but the product of the black experience. Ergo - and I use that word correctly - blacks created modern music! Scratch an Allman Brother, and you have black. Scratch Billy Joel [pronounced Joe-well], and you have Howling Wolf! I could go on, but my mother is in town. Let's just say that every white rock and roll musician working today should take half of his or her paycheck and mail it directly to Chuck Berry. At least that's what I think, and I won't even go into jazz. Arnold, enjoy your visit to the station. Venus, nice visiting with you too! (He waves goodbye enthusiastically and exits.)

Thing is, it wasn't just an enthusiastic wave, it was a rather jaunty version of the Black Power salute ... this was the conversation that began with Les saying, "I couldn't help noticing that both of you are black ... "

My most often used WKRP quote?

Johnny : When everyone is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

Bailey: What are you suggesting, Fever?

Johnny: I'm suggesting palm trees swaying in the offshore trade wind. The hue and cry of exotic birds wheeling across an azure sky. I'm suggesting bronze supple flesh, pungent odours, sensuous rhythms in a tropical paradise. In short, Adam and Eve on excursion rates.

Bailey: Alone, together?

Johnny: Hopefully.

Bailey, suspiciously: Separate bedrooms?

Johnny: Details, details! We can work this out!

Bailey: Where?

Johnny: Jamaica, island of homegrown fun!

Bailey: Well, this is all so sudden. I'll have to think about this.

Johnny: Well, don't delay, offer limited!

Bailey: Am I paying for this?

Johnny: Details, details!

Les: If the Beatles are the construct of modern music - and I use that word "construct" incorrectly - surely they were given birth to by Elvis Presley' date=' a giant for sure, but the product of the black experience. Ergo - and I use that word correctly - blacks created modern music! Scratch an Allman Brother, and you have black. Scratch Billy Joel [pronounced Joe-well'], and you have Howling Wolf! I could go on, but my mother is in town. Let's just say that every white rock and roll musician working today should take half of his or her paycheck and mail it directly to Chuck Berry. At least that's what I think, and I won't even go into jazz. Arnold, enjoy your visit to the station. Venus, nice visiting with you too! (He waves goodbye enthusiastically and exits.)

Thing is, it wasn't just an enthusiastic wave, it was a rather jaunty version of the Black Power salute ... this was the conversation that began with Les saying, "I couldn't help noticing that both of you are black ... "

I love what Herb said to Venus and his pupil:

"How's... it... going... brothers".

The Booger line was changed too.

WHAT? How could they do that? Take a word out of a joke/dialogue and it changes the meaning/impact of the joke. No "booger"? That's bullshit:

johnny_fever.jpg

“All right, Cincinnati, it's time for this town to get down! You've got Johnny - Doctor Johnny Fever, and I am burnin' up in here - Whoah! We all in critical condition, babies, but you can tell me where it hurts, cuz I got the healing prescription here from the big KRP musical medicine cabinet. Now I am talking about your 50,000 watts intensive care unit, babies! So just sit right back now, relax! Open your ears real wide and say, 'Give it to me straight, Doctor, I can take it!' Oh, I almost forgot, fellow babies... [color:purple]BOOGER!!!"

Edited by Guest