Jambands.ca

WKRP in Cincinnati DVD out today: BEWARE

Jaimoe

This was, and I stress was, my favourite sitcom of all time. It was cutting edge, controversial, outrageous and hilarious. Unfortunately, the show has rarely been seen 'intact' since the 80's. Back when WKRP was first sold into syndication, if a TV station bought the original series, they could air that version (which was the complete uncut show). However, when these 1-inch or 3/4 inch tape format versions became obsolete, if a TV station wanted WKRP in a better format, i.e. Beta SP, they'd have to buy the series again, but the series they were sent and required to air was the severely cut-up version... the version that is being sold on DVD today.

Here's more on the tragedy that is WKRP in Cincinnati.

http://www.startribune.com/459/story/1131165.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Even one of the early reruns of the show had some editing. When Les was out of the ledge because a Reds player thought he was a homosexual, Herb originally leaned out and told Les that's it's ok "that you're a homo". It was later changed to "a gay". The Booger line was changed too.

One example of the new edits proves again why WKRP on DVD should never be purchased: The entire Tiny Dancer/The Russians Are Coming episode was edited, removing all mention of the Elton John classic tune (which ran over dialogue and within dialogue itself).

Haha.. I remember when I was growing up (right outside of Cincinnati), people would come to Cincy to look for cast members or landmarks or whatever..

It was taped in California.. Hehe...

Although the exteriors (the few that were filmed) were from Cincy.

One of the best written and acted guest hosted shows I've ever seen was with Sparky Anderson.

The episode about the deaths at The Who concert was also one of the best paced/scripted sitcom episodes I've seen, especially the way the start of the episode is the usual funny/weird stuff, and you donn't know it's coming until Johnny Fever says, "Now it looks like I'm going to see The Who in company of a narc." on his way out the door just as they break for commercial. It leaves you stunned (and hanging during the commercials) because you then know what's coming next, but the characters don't. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective if the plot of the episode had started after the concert.

Aloha,

Brad

I must have seen every episode of WKRP at least 5 times. I used to watch it every day, along with SCTV, before the butchery happened :(

There have long been problems with getting these shows out there. A lot of it had to do with the changing rights laws for a lot of the music being played. Fuck, it was supposed to be a radio station! Don't overdub it with some canned royalty-free cheese that doesn't fit the scene.

Johnny Fever did have a copy of Steal Your Face in his apartment. I loved The Specials poster that was in the booth one season (i was big into the Two-Tone label back then). Still love the scene when Carlson comes in to talk to Fever and says "are those dogs?" whilst Pink Floyd's Animals is playing . Also, Flytrap taught me about the makeup of an atom wayyy faster than any of my teachers did (remember, the neighbourhood, the pros, new boys, elected ones, etc.) Don't let school conquer you, you can conquer it.

ps - i still think that "nucleus" is Swahili .

However, when these 1-inch or 3/4 inch tape format versions became obsolete, if a TV station wanted WKRP in a better format, i.e. Beta SP, they'd have to buy the series again,

beta sp lol...we're finally moving to sony xd cam (optical disc) and archiving on dvcam.

However' date=' when these 1-inch or 3/4 inch tape format versions became obsolete, if a TV station wanted WKRP in a better format, i.e. Beta SP, they'd have to buy the series again, [/quote']

beta sp lol...we're finally moving to sony xd cam (optical disc) and archiving on dvcam.

I know. Technology in TV moved really slowly until about 5 years ago. Now it's gotten crazy. We do still use BetaSP on a daily basis. I'll be recording Hillary Duff's performance today on BetaSp for repeat purposes.